Ben Fogle's tribute to his dog Inca

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
Forum Member
As it says in the title...... Thought this was too beautiful not to be shared. Made me cry whilst hugging my own black lab....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/pets/9399980/Ben-Fogle-I-owe-everything-to-my-dog-Inca.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would say there would be plenty of tears when your best friend has to go, especially so soon, my OH loves his little Sam (patterdale mix) Sam picked him, I think it is the first dog he has ever had that is just his. Sam is the sweetest, most loving boy in the world and when his time comes his favourite place in the world,the park,is where he will be. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was such a beautiful article. I've just gave my two dogs loads of cuddles and a few treats. They were both looking at me in a concerned way and nudging me as the tears were falling while I read.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I didn't get to the end of that article with dry eyes. Now I need to go and hug the cats.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am now in tears ! Such a nice piece on how his best friend shaped his life
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohhhh gosh. in tears here as well.

it is very sad, but when the time comes, you have to do the right thing.
    an absolutely beautiful article.

last May was when we lost our gorgeous 14 year old border collie, Missey.
    it was just after 9 am on the Tuesday after the royal wedding. The day we were making that call to the vets to let her go.

her body had given up on her, she lost so much weight by the end, she was half the dog she used to be.

mum got up and carried her through into my room from hers and laid her in bed with me, mum held her big mug of water she always hat at the top of the stairs to drink from and she took what was to be her last few laps of water.
    Mum left to get sorted and went downstairs to prepare herself to make the call when the vets opened at 9.30.

i wrapped my arms around her & held her close.
    after a few minutes passed, she lifted her head to look at me, placed it back down & stopped breathing, she passed away right there in my arms on the right hand side of my bed. :(
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear about Missey, but what a lovely way to go, peacefully and in your arms at home. I wish all animals could have the same.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reminded me how much I miss my dog Sammy.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    I couldn't get to the end of it. I wanted to, but I couldn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    Just like my Ruby.. my first cat who shaped the last 5 years of my life and helped me deal with a horrible time at the beginning, can't imagine anything happening to her ... such a beautiful article :cry:
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dogs are looking very concerned at me crying lol
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my goodness Ben Fogle just about broke my heart when I read that! I read the article a couple of days ago and even now just thinking about it is bringing tears to my eyes.

I remember watching Castaway 2000 with Ben & Inca who was always with him.

My heart goes out him and to anyone who has lost their beloved pet.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh noooo, don't tell me Inca's dead? She was so lovely on Castaway. I don't even want to click on the link. :(
  • SayheySayhey Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Poor ben. I couldnt read it all. I had to have my 17 year old westie put to sleep a week last Friday, it was traumatic. He had lost a kilo in weight and was going down hill quickly. I don't think I will ever replace him, I couldn't go through it again. 😪
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny, I've never been an animal lover so could never understand why people would get so upset over losing a pet.

Since having Simba last August, my emotions have completely changed. I would do anything for Simba. If I see or read a cruel animal story now, it angers and saddens me.

I read Ben Fogle's piece, well written may I add, I sobbed and sobbed :cry::cry:
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am crying at this thread and I haven't even clicked on the link yet. It's walkies time for my two so will have to read it when I get back.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope he has picked up a new puppy. Although I could understand if he didn't want to.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I couldn't get to the end of it. I wanted to, but I couldn't.

It was a very hard article to finish.
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a sad article, reminded me of when we had our dog put to sleep after getting cancer when she was 4 :(
  • Jen1970Jen1970 Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Oh my that was so sad. Lost my Duke 15 yrs ago and its still as raw as hell and weighs down my heart. X
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh goodness reading that has made me cry. Our boy has oral cancer and has fought hard but we had him at the vet yesterday as his mouth has been bleeding a lot lately. We were told he probably has about two weeks before he starts to be in a lot of pain so he is being put to sleep next week.

My OH is devastated as he and his dog have spent 16 years firmly glued to each others side! It's a dreadful feeling.