Hollyoaks - I am worried / The beggining of the end (Merged)

Comments

• lulu glulu g Posts: 52,620
    Forum Member
    vkmax wrote: »
    It's days have been "numbered" for about 11 years. It's going nowhere. It's ratings as a whole are up from last year it's only been the last handful that have stumbled.
    I have a feeling that's all about to change in the not-too-distant future.
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks is fine. It doesn't need Brendan, Mitzeee and Jacqui. They were ok characters, Mitzeee was my favourite out of them but their is a strong enough cast left and their are a lot of other characters I'd rather watch over them personally.

The ratings will be fine. As long as the storylines are written well, then I couldn't care less. I'd actually say that the Brendan/Walker strand is the weakest at the moment.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks Has always had big character leave, there have been alot bigger ones then jacqui yes its sad but worried no its about setting up a new generation of iconic characters now
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly ^

The Burtons were a huge part of the show as was Mandy and Ben and Lisa but they all went and then the show entered it's most successful era.
  • RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    Exactly ^

The Burtons were a huge part of the show as was Mandy and Ben and Lisa but they all went and then the show entered it's most successful era.

This seems to happen with most soaps, a few big characters leave within a short space then the show introduces a few new characters that build up a new fan base quite quickly, while also bringing back a couple of past characters to keep connections to the shows past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Are people really trying to act like the best characters on the show being replaced by overacting Claire and the shirtless twerps is a god thing, it's not. Hollyoaks isn't over but I wonder if Kirkwood's future storylines have made the actors quit. Also the show currently is unwatchable, can't stand Will and the Savages.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'll miss Jacqui but I don't think the show is in any immediate danger or anything.
    Forum Member
    Ennoea wrote: »
    Are people really trying to act like the best characters on the show being replaced by overacting Claire and the shirtless twerps is a god thing, it's not. Hollyoaks isn't over but I wonder if Kirkwood's future storylines have made the actors quit. Also the show currently is unwatchable, can't stand Will and the Savages.

Id rate claire over alot of the cast, the max ob and claire is one of my favorite storylines
    Forum Member
    Id rate claire over alot of the cast, the max ob and claire is one of my favorite storylines

Not really, she was a 2d panto villain most of the time, though her "I'm going to make you pay" face was always a joy.

What I don't get is people are saying we need old characters to go to bring a new era when Kirkwood is obsessed with bringing back old characters and his own old era, I'd hardly call it progress. He seems like an arrogant writer to me.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HO days are numbered. Someone I know who works at ITV NW in Mancs reckons that one of the C4 execs that was up there for some meeting or other last month let it slip that C4 were unlikely to renew the contract with Lime Pictures beyond 2013.

Hollyoaks is produced by Lime Pictures in Liverpool so it's of no interest to ITV in Manchester. The contract expires each October so C4 better get a move on if they're going to get rid of it by October! Brookside had a year's notice.

Ratings are fine, E4 is now usually 700k+ and Channel 4 1m+. These are the best ratings the show has had for a long time and there's a new sponsor in place. Yes, a couple of big characters are leaving which is a shame but Hollyoaks will survive, just as it has survived the departure of every character other than Tony over the last 17 years.
  • MasterjonboiMasterjonboi Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this thread is stupid and over exagerated massivly!
  • sugarandspicesugarandspice Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me this is the start of the finish to Hollyoaks for me the only thing keeping it survinvg was Claire Cooper after the departures of Emmet, Rachel and Bronagh who are all four of the most popular characters i am right or am i wrong Then the bullying storyline was so brialliantly done but from me at the end it fell flat on its face Ruby has got away with it scot free and Esther has forgive them rubbish ending,

Who are we going to watch after these characters leave The Savages, Theresa, The dull Blakes, The Kanes who never appear,

Im not even excited about Evil Claire's return i was in 2009 and i thought it was the perfect exit for her they keep bringing her back too many times.

Texas:whodunit for me its such a rubbish idea it was done so well with Lynsey but another within the space of a year there just redoing the storylines over and over

Lynsey and Riley two other fan faves left

I can only expect Ste, Darren, Nancy and Esther will go the same way
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been crap for years... Not watched it since 2006
    Forum Member
    yes 4 big characters are leaving the show, not like this has happened before might be cancelled now:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Wow this thread is stupid and over exagerated massivly!

its people who have only watched it the past two years and think Brendan and the mcqueens are Hollyoaks:rolleyes:
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are over reacting about Claire Cooper leaving. The show was fine before she was in it, I'm sure it will do just fine without her.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the show survived Lucy Allen's awful era, it can survive this. There are still plenty of strong actors and actresses/characters, the whole Osborne family, Martha, Callum, Cindy, Tony, JP, Patrick, Carmel, Barney, Sienna, Tilly, George, Phoebe, Ste and there are plenty of promising things to come such as the aftermath of Esther's bullying and Brendan's exit. HO will be fine
    Forum Member
    its people who have only watched it the past two years and think Brendan and the mcqueens are Hollyoaks:rolleyes:

Watched it on and off for 12 years, so not really.
    Forum Member
    Ennoea wrote: »
    Watched it on and off for 12 years, so not really.

then you will have seen many big characters leave the show over the years and its survived
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe Amber's contract is up in April, if she leaves HO is over ;( :p
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when hollyoaks lost the 'big' characters from BK's first era: John Paul, Justin, Hannah, Warren, Craig. It moved on from that and we were introduced to Brendan and Mitzeee. I'm sure in a few months that there'll be a new character people will warm to. Actors and actresses move on from soaps, it doesn't mean a soap's getting axed
  • Owen19Owen19 Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beginning of the end, are you being serious? I've said this so many times before there's characters like Cindy, Tony, Esther, Darren, John Paul, Nancy, Frankie and upcoming talents like Sienna and Maxine, the show will continue just as strong as I'm sure the strong characters will be replaced with other strong characters.
    Forum Member
    then you will have seen many big characters leave the show over the years and its survived

The show is built on stories so it'll survive as long as the writing is good. But losing so many actors (esp their best characters) at the same time is really not the best, and the show will suffer in the short term, however long term the show will be fine.
  • EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way, the show has gotten past more than the departures of (in my opinion) overrated characters.

The story lines are still strong, we have the upcoming arrival of Gillian Taylforth, return of Clare and many more story lines (which I won't write down because of spoilers).

Also, the crap characters, i'm pretty sure will soon be gone. It has been strongly rumoured that Liberty, Leanne, Barney and Dennis are leaving. Will's current storyline will also probably end with his departure.

In my opinion, the greatest storyline this year was Esther's bullying. This didn't involve Brendan, Cheryl or Jacqui.
    Forum Member
    oh dont merge them mods:sleep: this is how hysteria and rumours start:rolleyes: