Ripper Street

Comments

• Sharon_HillSharon_Hill Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I hope it will be saved. Maybe Sky might finance it. The last two episodes feature Shine and the murder of his sergeant and Merrick might be resolved.

That's a thought - maybe we should hit the Sky forums suggesting Sky save it!! You never know they might listen, they have to keep their customers happy to maintain revenue- unlike the BBC who have their revenue handed to them on a plate by us the poor, ignored public!!
  • Evs814Evs814 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I'm just feeling so sad, it's bad enough that this excellent series is coming to an end but knowing that's it & there will be no more is infuriating.
    Tonights episode was yet again another masterclass in how period drama should be made. I lost myself for the hour - hoping that Bennett (Isn't Jerome a wonderful actor) would at least respond in any small way to Rose, shocked that Flight has turned out to be the enemy within (I gave him the benefit of the doubt from the get go!) & clever, independent Susan with all the fight gone from her resigned to her fate.
    How this can be scrapped is beyond me. The Beeb is hardly awash with quality programmes but what do I know? - I only have to pay every month regardless whether I watch or not.
    Seems the revenue raised from the license fee is spent on golden handshakes for failed execs, expenses & ridiculous wages rather than quality entertainment.
    Sorry for the rant but it makes me so angry!!

Well said. My feelings exactly. The petition is heading towards 10,000 signatures. It probably won't do any good but at least you feel you've tried.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Great episode. It's such a shame the next one is the last one. >:( :(:cry:
    I'm gonna miss Sergeant Drake & Captain Jackson, they're my 2 favourite characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ho hum
    Beeb cancels a class show that certainly had more milage and will no doubt continue to feed us with diet of soap suds and scum(my) dross. I suppose they'drather pay fat fees to a limited few and keep talent,creativity and entertaining drama off our screens
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode. It's such a shame the next one is the last one. >:( :(:cry:
    I'm gonna miss Sergeant Drake & Captain Jackson, they're my 2 favourite characters.

I'm going to miss Constable Flight - or rather Damien who is a superb actor. Don't get me wrong, everyone (bar a few) is great, as is the setting, scenery and script writing.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Another ripping episode, even though they cast David Costabile from Breaking Bad to play Jackson's brother(nothing against him as he is a good actor). It's not just this programme but why do they cast people who are supposed to be family yet look nothing like each other? He has a round soft face where Jackson has a lean sharp face, with nothing matching at all, and it spoils the believability - if that's a word.

We should have known Flight would have turned out to be a baddie - you can never trust a vampire!

Will be really sad to see this go as there could easily have been at least one more series. Still, I suppose it will leave on a high and will be a programme we remember.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was riveted by this episode. I've become so involved with all the characters, largely due to the excellent portrayal by everyone involved.

Rose, Bennet and Susan were exceptionally good. Flight! I half hate him and half feel sorry for him.

How will it all end was my first thought when the episode finished. Then I remembered it was really the end, and felt sad, baffled and angry in equal measure. There's very little I watch on TV now, and the BBC seem intent on cancelling whatever I do watch.

This programme is unique - irreplaceable. How come the BBC execs don't see that, and nurture it?

I just hope Shine gets his come-uppance, and isn't reprieved because the makers thought there was going to be a new series which never happens. That really will be frustrating.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm absolutely gutted they've cancelled this! :confused:

Its truly excellent - beautifully shot, gripping and the acting is superb.

I really want another series to explore Flight's character further - I don't think he is a 'baddie' I think Shine clearly has a hold on him and probably saved him from the streets but he clearly looks up to Reid and wants to be like him (and like Reid - doesn't have the stomach for violence). His excitement about being given his own case last night was rather adorable and then once he discovered it was connected to Shiner you could just see how he caught he felt.

I never know how the BBC count ratings - hardly anyone I know even owns a TV any more. A lot of people watch online after its aired. I really hope they take those viewings into account. Its thoroughly depressing that people will year after year watch drivel like I'm a Celebrity and shows like this consistently get cancelled and left unfinished.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved that Drake didn't utter a single word throughout the whole episode and still put in a killer performance!

Brilliant episode, I must be a right idiot, I had no idea that Flight was a wrong 'un. Does this mean he knew/was awake when Shine killed Joseph Merrick?

Can't wait for next week's episode, feels as though it's building to a wonderful crescendo.

Save Ripper Street!

p.s. also liked the humorous moment where Jackson explained Reid's sarcasm to his brother! :D
  • GrolsGrols Posts: 297,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite program at the moment. Will miss it...

Why is Susan called Long Susan?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Loved that Drake didn't utter a single word throughout the whole episode and still put in a killer performance!

Brilliant episode, I must be a right idiot, I had no idea that Flight was a wrong 'un. Does this mean he knew/was awake when Shine killed Joseph Merrick?

Can't wait for next week's episode, feels as though it's building to a wonderful crescendo.

Save Ripper Street!

p.s. also liked the humorous moment where Jackson explained Reid's sarcasm to his brother! :D

I took it that Flight was complicit in the murder of Merrick. Which I find unforgivable. But he's now in such a fix that if I were him I'd take the next boat back to Ireland.

I agree wholeheartedly about Drake - if Jerome Flynn doesn't get more parts on the strength of his performance in this, there's no justice.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    I truly think Jerome Flynn is amazing. I've only ever seen him in rubbish things before - quite incredible.

Completely agree. I only caught up with last week's episode last night and he was just brilliant. It's all the more baffling that his one-dimensional ex-sidekick, Robson Greene was the one that got all the job offers after Soldier, Soldier.

I still can't quite believe that the BBC has cancelled Ripper Street. OK, it's not landmark drama in the way that, say Brideshead Revisited was but it's still pretty damned good. When you look at it closely, you can see that an awful lot of effort has gone into everything from the set interiors to the costumes to the lighting. Of course it owes something to the steam punk look of Guy Ritchie's mediocre Sherlock Holmes films but Ripper Street is much more interesting and absorbing.

There was some more clever writing in last week's episode with the detective work to identify the location of the printing press and forensic analysis of the ink, not to mention great acting from all involved.

It will be sadly missed.:cry:
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fantastic episode last night, I’m really looking forward to the final episode next week (whilst also not looking forward to it, if you know what I mean).

Last nights episode was watched by only 2.95 million people, a new low for the programme. Although I still believe that a lot more people watch it via iPlayer or on a DVR device of some sort. But it seems the BBC don’t take that into consideration. Neither do they take into consideration that moving the programme to a different time of year and a different day has negatively affected its ratings, no, they just believe that half the people who watched the first series have decided they don’t like it anymore.

I’m still living in hope that when the second series airs in America, and around the world, a new deal can be brokered between BBC Worldwide and BBC One. But I’m probably living in hope.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never watch live, I think I am therefore part of the problem. That said I did watch live last night and it was superb. Jerome Flynn, as another person said, didnt utter a word and gave such a performance. Really disappointed this will not get a third series, shame on the BBC.
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    A fantastic episode last night, I’m really looking forward to the final episode next week (whilst also not looking forward to it, if you know what I mean).

Last nights episode was watched by only 2.95 million people, a new low for the programme. Although I still believe that a lot more people watch it via iPlayer or on a DVR device of some sort. But it seems the BBC don’t take that into consideration. Neither do they take into consideration that moving the programme to a different time of year and a different day has negatively affected its ratings, no, they just believe that half the people who watched the first series have decided they don’t like it anymore.

I’m still living in hope that when the second series airs in America, and around the world, a new deal can be brokered between BBC Worldwide and BBC One. But I’m probably living in hope.
    They do take iTunes and catch up into consideration, yes. Sadly for many, this series just hasn't been as good as the first by quite some margin. We gave up after 3 episodes, as did many people I know.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do take iTunes and catch up into consideration, yes. Sadly for many, this series just hasn't been as good as the first by quite some margin. We gave up after 3 episodes, as did many people I know.

So, why did you abandon it? Maybe you can explain what other viewers don't like about it...to help its fans understand more.

I may just add that I think, too, that it is an immensely engrossing drama - I love the "historical" detail to language and the whole atmosphere is very credible.
    Shame shame shame to axe it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the last three episodes have been particularly strong.
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    So, why did you abandon it? Maybe you can explain what other viewers don't like about it...to help its fans understand more.

I may just add that I think, too, that it is an immensely engrossing drama - I love the "historical" detail to language and the whole atmosphere is very credible.
    Shame shame shame to axe it.

The writing was nowhere near as good as the first series. Matthew Macfadyen's character had become even more dull. Some of the performances were poorly directed and overwrought. While the actor playing him was very good, the John Merrick storyline felt implausible and exploitative and Joseph Mawle's lines were fairly incomprehensible. It felt like a parody of the first series. Jerome Flynn was great though.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the exchange between susan and jackson over the diamond, they seemed to kick the volume up for that, I thought, they obviously read DS.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree wholeheartedly about Drake - if Jerome Flynn doesn't get more parts on the strength of his performance in this, there's no justice.

You should see him in Game of thrones then,i have a feeling he got his part in ripper Street based on his performance in that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »
    You should see him in Game of thrones then,i have a feeling he got his part in ripper Street based on his performance in that.

On the Guardian someone said there was a rumour he was to be the new Master on Doctor Who. I don't watch Dr Who so no idea if that means anything to anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Guardian someone said there was a rumour he was to be the new Master on Doctor Who. I don't watch Dr Who so no idea if that means anything to anyone.

I watch Doctor Who, fanatically, but I tend to discount all rumours about it. :)

Flynn playing against Capaldi could be good, though - if he can do the humour?

(I haven't seen Game of Thrones).
  • Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Save Ripper Street!

Yes it does. >:(:cry:

Actually those two icons pretty much sum up my feelings about the BBC cancelling Ripper Street. I'm usually one of those quick to defend the BBC, but this is just unforgivable. I'm livid.>:(:cry:

This petition has over 10,000 signatures now, aiming for 15,000 which I'm sure they will reach, and I presume there are other online petitions.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/reverse-the-bbc-s-decision-to-cancel-ripper-street

I know its all probably futile, but you never know. Weren't the fans able to mount a campaign to save Being Human when the BBC didn't want to give it a full series?
  • GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad to read this series is the last. I absolutely love the show and thought it would be an autumn/winter regular for a while to come :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch Doctor Who, fanatically, but I tend to discount all rumours about it. :)

Flynn playing against Capaldi could be good, though - if he can do the humour?

(I haven't seen Game of Thrones).

Yes I suppose most actors get mooted for Dr Who at one point or another. His character in Game of Thrones is very witty though, dark gallows humour.