Options

What Age Did You Find Out Santa Claus, Boogeyman, Jesus, and Toothfairy Aren't Real?

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I put Boogeyman and Santa Claus in the same sentence.

It cannot get more obvious what I am speaking of.

Indeed. Chumming the waters.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Define "real"

Whether based on real people or not, they're all based on ideas subsumed in to popular culture. Ideas can be real. If you're frightened watching a movie, then what you feel is a reaction to an idea. It elicits a deep and genuine reaction.

Isn't "When did you stop believing?" a better question?

no, because that presupposes believing in the first place

The better question would be (perhaps not the best)

If you believed in any of ( list ) and if you stopped believing in any of them, when did you do so?

I nether believed in any of them, although when I woke in the middle of the night and the house was creaking I questioned the existence of ghosts
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    What do you mean they're not real, I don't understand.!

My thinking too...

Of course Santa is real.

Next you will be saying that babies don't come from under the Gooseberry bush....:cry:
  • Options
    _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    One of them did exist, yes. But you know that.

Which one?

*hopes tooth fairy is real!*
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    _kitty wrote: »
    Which one?

*hopes tooth fairy is real!*

It puts the lotion on its skin...
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus was real he is recorded in Islamic texts as well as the New Testament.
    Islam didn't even exist until 600 years after Jesus supposedly existed.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14. someone at school told me and i didn't believe him. took me a few years to realise
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Santa Claus is real, I see him sitting outside supermarkets all the time at this time of year. Jesus is the Mexican guy who runs my local chip shop, so I believe in him, too. I always thought my hot dentist was the toothfairy, although she removes teeth and then takes my money, instead of giving me some. I am the boogeyman, so totally still believe in myself.

I have, however, just recently stopped believing in the OP of this thread. They are a totally made-up entity.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I was about 9 when I stopped believing in Santa. I can't remember when I stopped believing in the toothfairy and I never believed in the bogeyman.

Why have you put Jesus on this list? Do you like insulting religious people?
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about 9 when I stopped believing in Santa. I can't remember when I stopped believing in the toothfairy and I never believed in the bogeyman.

Not as insulting as having religion in schools and faith schools...
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about 9 when I stopped believing in Santa.
    I can't remember when I stopped believing in the
    toothfairy and I never believed in the bogeyman.

So there's only Jesus left to go then.

Don't worry, you're probably a late developer.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »

That's a different debate. But unless you're forced to send a child to a religious school I don't see how they're insulting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boogeyman is American

therefore any sensible or intelligent person need not give a stuff about it in any way whatsoever
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus I saw through from birth.

Santa I believed in til I was 5. And my brother showed me where our parents hid the presents.

Boogeyman is American so in 1960s' Yorkshire I'd never heard of it.

What do you mean the Toothfairy isn't real?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »

I can't really see a faith school working without religion...
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    My grandad told me and my cousin that Father Christmas didn't exist when we were about 7. He told us that the carrot put out for Rudolf goes back in the vegetable box and Dad drinks the sherry and eats the cake left out. Of course, our parents weren't around to hear him tell us this. I laugh about it, he was a funny one my grandad. :D

I figured the others out for myself. I believe Jesus existed and was a good man but not that he was the son of god or had magical powers etc.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I found out about Santa when I was about 8 or 9. I woke up and my dad was putting stuff in my room. He told me Santa was running late so he was helping him. :D

I'm not religious but I do think Jesus probably did exist.

No idea about the other two. Don't recall ever thinking about it.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Never thought about the Boogeyman

Tooth fairy didn't count anyway as I always just sold my lost tooth to the highest bidder out of my Mum and Grandparents

Jesus went to Sunday School when I was about 5 and thought it was all a bit far fetched don't know what I thought before that.

Santa can't honestly remember when I stopped believing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because Jesus is on the same list for a lot of people. A wandering half-god sorcerer who was born of a virgin and walked on water is no more or less plausible and credible than a man who can time travel, squeeze down chimneys and employs elves.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Not real? - don't be silly! ( Except Jeebus).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ishina wrote: »
    Maybe because Jesus is on the same list for a lot of people. A wandering half-god sorcerer who was born of a virgin and walked on water is no more or less plausible and credible than a man who can time travel, squeeze down chimneys and employs elves.

Here here well said.

Religion should not have this weird privilege that we're not allowed to voice opinions in case it offends religious people.

People always share their political views - it's the same thing.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the Boogeyman taught me how to dance..... blame it on the boogey!>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _kitty wrote: »

best of luck with your attempt to create a moral philosophy from the sayings of Ricky Jervais and Stephen Fry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    best of luck with your attempt to create a moral philosophy from the sayings of Ricky Jervais and Stephen Fry

*Gervais

I used them as they sum up what I wanted to say beautifully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And for a lot of people Jesus is central to their religious beliefs and their religion is very important to them. Why sneer at that and compare them to people who believe in Santa? Are you really so intolerant of other people's religions?
    I 'sneer' at the story of Jesus because it is absurd. Ridiculous as anything other than a crude myth. Who or how many believe it to be an actual historical chain of events and how dearly they hold those beliefs is irrelevant to me. I didn't compare anyone to anyone. Criticising an idea or proposition is not the same as criticising a person. That some people attach their ego and identity to an idea so that a critique of that idea translates to them as an attack against their person is their problem to handle.
    Are you really so intolerant of other people's religions?
    My view of other people's religions varies depending on the religion.
This discussion has been closed.