Options

Video Game Violence

Comments

• Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Violence is strange, we've only needed it for thousands of years in order to survive lol.

When we finished slaying the beasts, all that was left was each other.

And now, digital versions of each other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less. So long as people are capable of distinguishing between fiction and reality (which most people are) then I see no problem with it.
    I think that violence is deeply ingrained within human nature. That doesn't mean all humans are violent, but as a general overview of humanity we appear to be a very violent species. I think most people have the capacity for violence and I'd much rather this violence to be expressed in video games than in real life.

Anyway, if humans didn't seem to have a strange affinity for violence then violent games wouldn't be so popular would they?

There doesn't seem to be much evidence at all to support the link between video game violence and real violence so I think the hysteria surrounding the subject is completely unjustified.
    However, I think I remember reading that a study has found a link between frustrating video games and violence rather than violent video games and violence. When people get frustrated by a game, they are more likely to become angry and some people become violent when they're angry.

So should frustrating video games be banned?

Absolutely this

I've been so frustrated at a game i'll get angry and start shouting all sorts about the developers, i've verbally attacked people, I broken controllers etc all because i've become to frustrated at a game, now I tend to just get really pissed off and quit until i'm calm

Never once have I seen violence in videogames that has made me actively violent towards anyone, i'm seen violence that has made me angry and annoyed at society but that is nothing to do with games and more to do with the pointless wars we are fighting that are shown almost daily on the news
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    All joking aside, wasn't there a story a while back about some guy killing his neighbour because he beat him at COD online? I'll Google it.

there was also Tony Hawks' Skate game and it was a kid in Harlem or something someones nephew or something...wait I'll google it ....

Murder of Anthony Maldonado

In January 2010, 9-year-old Anthony Maldonado was stabbed to death by his relative, Alejandro Morales after an argument regarding Maldonado's recently purchased copy of Tony Hawk: Ride and PlayStation 3 console
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the game frustrates you all I can say is learn to switch the damn thing off or play a different game altogether, gaming is not one size fits all, theres a niche for everybody, like everything else not everybody is good at it... you need practice to be good at most things

Some folks specifically play for those frustrating challenges

If your really setting out to hurt somebody the game is likely just a small piece of a much bigger puzzle in regards to that persons behavior, and certainly not the sole cause as MSM would have us believe

We've had the same said over rap music and violent films
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Absolutely this

I've been so frustrated at a game i'll get angry and start shouting all sorts about the developers, i've verbally attacked people, I broken controllers etc all because i've become to frustrated at a game, now I tend to just get really pissed off and quit until i'm calm

Never once have I seen violence in videogames that has made me actively violent towards anyone, i'm seen violence that has made me angry and annoyed at society but that is nothing to do with games and more to do with the pointless wars we are fighting that are shown almost daily on the news

Have you ever played The Testement of Sherlock Holmes, hoestly I've never been as angry at a game as this one!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was over Tony Hawks' Skate game and it was nice nephew or something...wait I'll google it ....

Murder of Anthony Maldonado

In January 2010, 9-year-old Anthony Maldonado was stabbed to death by his relative, Alejandro Morales after an argument regarding Maldonado's recently purchased copy of Tony Hawk: Ride and PlayStation 3 console

Yeah. Because Ride is super violent. I think that reinforces your point quite well. It's more to do with people than games. It would be as valid to say someone was killed over an argument about the film Queen of the Damned, booze or whatever. Just because an argument results in a murder does not mean that the reason for the arguement is the cause. It could have been about anything.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be warnings on boxes saying that the game is unsuitable for children.and not just an explicit content warning.
    This is what the PEGI 18, 15, 12... logos are. These logos mean that the game is not suitable for anyone under that age.

Not only is this logo displayed on the front of the case (link), but it also on the back of the case, and includes other logos stating what other things the game has (link).
    If parents can't be bothered to check these then that is their fault.
    A warning in big letters on the front saying "This game contains violent themes including strangulation, Attempted sexual assualt, killing of animals, extreme, bloody violence and strong language" a warning that covers the front of the box on the cellaphane wrapping.
    Again, PEGI logos are on the cases, if you don't bother to look that is your fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what the PEGI 18, 15, 12... logos are. These logos mean that the game is not suitable for anyone under that age.

Not only is this logo displayed on the front of the case (link), but it also on the back of the case, and includes other logos stating what other things the game has (link).
    If parents can't be bothered to check these then that is their fault.

Again, PEGI logos are on the cases, if you don't bother to look that is your fault.

I wish they had kept the old BBFC logos. At least they were recognisable. A lot of parents won't know what PEGI is and assume it's not important. I have even heard a parent arguing this point in a Game store!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking. What's more, it's 'gamers' that enjoy mowing down city citizens and call girls that request such despicable acts to be placed in GTA to 'make it more realistic'. They will say it's just NPC characters and just 'mindless fun'.
    Call girls, or prostitutes, have been in GTA for a while yet, they are nothing new. In my personal view they add nothing to the game and I wouldn't care if they were removed.

To be honest it isn't actually 'gamers' that enjoy these things, it is the recreational players that want these things more.
    A real shame; that gives gaming the bad image it deserves.
    It only gives a bad image to those who purposely set out to look at the games industry in a bad way.
    I hope it doesn't come down to schools being placed in GTA and something like an rape simulator. And what's stopping them? When they've already gone so far, in which you can already beat-down and kill cops and call girls.
    Of course these are never going to be included. It is idiotic to even suggest it would.
    I doubt very much that the game developers would be allowed to have these things in a game even if they wanted to.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't. The effect of violence in video games is poorly researched but that is me theorising and I am going to stick to that theory. I do believe videos games play a part in the rising aggression in young people.

Side note: I was in Sainsburys earlier in the year and I saw a pre teen boy eyeing up the video game section and all the games were rated at least 15 and up. Where was the parents? smh

And there you have it a THEORY. Basically lyou've made a statment with no statistics or evidence to back up your argument but you're going to stick to it.

When I was a child in the 70's we had toy guns and knives I even had a toy bazooka, we ran round the parks " shooting and stabbing" each other, we couldn't get any more violent without using real weapons, did this effect us in real life? No. Why? ITS A FRIGGIN GAME JUST LIKE COMPUTER GAMES.

If you don't like violent games dont bloody play em simple really. But don't play them then preach on about them as you come across like a right hypocrite.

I think you're missing the point about the kid in Sainsburys. He was browsing R rated games when he himself was under-age. His parents weren't there to check that the game he was about to buy was appropriate.

So he was looking at the game case, and your problem with that?

Absolutely shocking. What's more, it's 'gamers' that enjoy mowing down city citizens and call girls that request such despicable acts to be placed in GTA to 'make it more realistic'. They will say it's just NPC characters and just 'mindless fun'.

A real shame; that gives gaming the bad image it deserves.

I hope it doesn't come down to schools being placed

in GTA and something like an rape simulator. And what's stopping them? When they've already gone so far, in which you can already beat-down and kill cops and call girls.

Any links to where people have requested the ability to mow down civilians? I don't purposefully mow civilians down. You do have the choice to avoid civilians.

But seriously, I wasn't aware people held such strong emotions and strong sympathies with pixels on a screen. Shall we start the PLA; the Pixel Liberation Army?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what people say, they like GTA because it's a 'real' open world, an living breathing city.
    And I wouldn't be surprised if we see an something like an modern day, Custer's Revenge, sometime soon either. Perhaps as an GTA mini-game?

You know Rockstar love to stoop low.
    The GTA games are sandbox, open world games and that is why they are so popular, because the players can play the game as they wish rather than being bound by set missions.

Whilst GTA worlds have a sense of reality, they are not truly real, they are exaggerated for effect. The characters and people involved in the games are stereotypes.

Hell you only have to look at the amount of parody featured in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're missing the point about the kid in Sainsburys. He was browsing R rated games when he himself was under-age. His parents weren't there to check that the game he was about to buy was appropriate.
    You are the one that is missing the point. He was not buying it, he was only looking at it, there is no harm in that, there is nothing on the cover that could do him any harm.

There is no way he could actually buy the game, the shop would not allow him to, since doing so would mean they are breaking the law.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are the one that is missing the point. He was not buying it, he was only looking at it, there is no harm in that, there is nothing on the cover that could do him any harm.

There is no way he could actually buy the game, the shop would not allow him to, since doing so would mean they are breaking the law.

He wasn't just looking at it, he was browsing it as if he was going to buy and you'd be surprised how many shops let things slide when they think no one is looking.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind video games, I think I remember reading about someone who killed someone with a crossbow due to an argument over a game of monopoly.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't just looking at it, he was browsing it as if he was going to buy

Wow you're psychic.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind video games, I think I remember reading about someone who killed someone with a crossbow due to an argument over a game of monopoly.

Anyone playing monopoly can't expect anything less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm out shopping with my mum I frequently browse things I have absolutely no intention of buying. Shopping with my mum can be boring. So looking at something =\= buying it.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    He wasn't just looking at it, he was browsing it as if he was going to buy and you'd be surprised how many shops let things slide when they think no one is looking.

What's the difference between looking at a box and browsing a box? Just for future reference.

You really have no idea if the kid was going to attempt to buy any of the games. Where his parents were. Whether the assistant would have let him buy it. Whether his parents would have let him keep it or play it. It's a flimsy, non argument based on assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I wish they had kept the old BBFC logos. At least they were recognisable. A lot of parents won't know what PEGI is and assume it's not important. I have even heard a parent arguing this point in a Game store!
    I despair if someone cannot tell what a logo with a number on means, it's not as if they are that different either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I despair if someone cannot tell what a logo with a number on means, it's not as if they are that different either.

Yeah I agree but what I meant was that the old signs were clear to non gamers. The new ones look advisory, like the parental guidance stickers. Parents won't know much about gaming necessarily. Especially grandparents who often see all games as suitable for kids and consoles as expensive toys.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is to stop the kid browsing an 18+ film in that same store? Nothing.

What is your point?

Did he buy it? If so then that is a problem with the shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is to stop the kid browsing an 18+ film in that same store? Nothing.

What is your point?

Did he buy it? If so then that is a problem with the shop.

I was in my local Asda today. There was minecraft, lego games x3, Rayman legends and things like MGS:GZ, Saints Row IV. Right opposite the dvd section that was full of 15 certs. There were children there. I have never seen an Asda that has an entirely different and all15+ cert game chart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/middle-aged-man-attacks-boy-over-156843

It's clear that there are some adults who are mentally unstable playing video games....

I don't like to reply directly to you but one case out of however many copies of CoD that has been reported does not constitute evidence. It is statistically insignificant and without further evidence essentially no more news worthy than drunks fighting over booze or idiot, neanderthal males fighting over a woman.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this a correlation or causation? :confused:

Millions of grandmas are still alive after their grandchildren playing this game, yet there was one murder. Your aren't that stupid are you? :confused: