Options

New 42 inch TV Dilemma - Panasonic or Sony?

albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,036
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently looking to replace my 7 year old Panasonic LCD TV which is on its last legs. I am looking for a good quality 42 inch TV with a budget of around £500. I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic 42AS600 or Sony KDL42W7, both from the 2014 ranges.

I am naturally drawn to the Panasonic as my current Panasonic has lasted seven years. However looking at reviews there seems to be issues with poor SD picture and sound through the TV speakers not being the best. Reviews of the Sony are more positive with regards to picture quality but there seems to be problems with responsiveness and speed of operation especially when first switched on.

As I will probably be using my new TV for at least five years any advice from anyone who has the new 2014 Panasonic or Sony 42 inch TVs would be helpful in me making my final decision.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    I would suggest going and looking (and listening) to both models, and making YOUR mind up which you prefer. They are the two top manufacturers, and while as a Sony dealer I would recommend the Sony :D as you have already have a Panasonic I would probably suggest the Panasonic (I'm a big believer in brand loyalty :D)

But go and see both.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you have any info as to when sony will be using the android platform on their range?
    the i/o event said sony would be one of the manufacturers using it.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    do you have any info as to when sony will be using the android platform on their range?

No, as I'm service I don't get to hear what's happening in sales very often, but I wouldn't expect any announcements until such sets are planned for launch.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    the i/o event said sony would be one of the manufacturers using it.

Articles I've read say the TV's (Sony/Phillips/Sharp) are to be launched in 2015, no month has been given.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Android TV dongles are now a mature technology, with fast processors and the most recent version of Android on the latest kit.

Given that they sell for less than £30, I wouldn't make smart functionality the deciding factor when buying a TV. Buy the set with the best picture quality you can afford, and augment it with a cheap add-on box for services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Android TV dongles are now a mature technology, with fast processors and the most recent version of Android on the latest kit.

Given that they sell for less than £30, I wouldn't make smart functionality the deciding factor when buying a TV. Buy the set with the best picture quality you can afford, and augment it with a cheap add-on box for services.

i was talking about AndroidTV the platform, not those crappy little chinese dongles that have android running on them.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    i was talking about AndroidTV the platform, not those crappy little chinese dongles that have android running on them.

If you'd bothered to read my post, rather than just half-reading it and spouting rubbish, you'd have realised that I'd addressed that point directly.

But then I shouldn't have expected much from someone who hijacks another poster's thread rather than starting their own.

In your case, I heartily recommend that you wait 12 months and then spend an extra £250 on unproven and obsolescent technology. Go for it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    If you'd bothered to read my post, rather than just half-reading it and spouting rubbish, you'd have realised that I'd addressed that point directly.

But then I shouldn't have expected much from someone who hijacks another poster's thread rather than starting their own.

In your case, I heartily recommend that you wait 12 months and then spend an extra £250 on unproven and obsolescent technology. Go for it :D

you clearly have no idea what you're taking about.
    your responses back that up.

Android TV is a platform, where have you plucked the "£250" value from... out of thin air i suspect.
  • Options
    moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back on subject... I am a massive Sony fanboy but recently bought a Panasonic soundbar based on features and reviews and don't regret it at all, its a great bit of kit for the money, wouldn't have entertained any other brand. Whatever you buy you won't be disappointed.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 50" panasonic which was only cheap, non smart etc but it is freeview hd;picture is sharp on hd with natural ( to my eyes ) skin colour tones etc. .... the sound on it is the best Ive heard on a tv in its price range save for a friends lg which had a bit more bass.That said, my old philips crt had super sound that spoilt me a bit,and Ive since modified my tv with external speakers. There is no lag on any of the tv's responses to the remote etc.
    £500 budget will buy a nice sony or panasonic smart 42" so I would plump for the panasonic out of those two makes purely on my experience with a panasonic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Just make sure your tv is 1080p and has Freeview HD

I have 2 Pannys and 1 Sony.

The Pannys are far superior in the Picture Quality.

SD Pictures are always going to struggle I feel, once you start watching HD. However if you watch something in SD when you know it is also broadcasted in HD; the picture quality will be very good.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just make sure your tv is 1080p and has Freeview HD

Not always. The 1080p depends on viewing distance and Freeview HD on the TV is hardly used if you are using a PVR which in the modern world is obviously the way to go.

My (now a few years old) Panny plasma is 1366x768 and has no Freeview HD but neither is a problem that would make me want to replace it I don't need full HD 1080p and I use my PVRs for viewing so don't need the Freeview HD tuner in the TV.

Of course the best TV may well be 1080p and Freeview HD but that is the reason to get it rather than those features.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will get a better deal (or a better model for the same price) if you are able/willing to wait till after Christmas.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was considering purchasing a new TV today, my 1st choice would be Panasonic, my 2nd Samsung.