Create wireless home network between laptop and pc using sky hub.

I have a PC which I use as a multimedia pc connected to my tv and a laptop which I use for downloading and everything else. The PC doesn't have wireless so I am currently having to transfer files to a memory stick and then copy them to the pc which takes time.

I have an old sky hub and I was wondering is it possible to connect the hub to the PC and share the laptop to it wirelessly so that I can have files on the laptop and view them on the PC?

I am currently using windows 8.1 on both machines, if it is possible can you explain it as you would to a child :D as even though I know a lot about computers networking is not something I have ever has the pleasure to deal with.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    I have a PC which I use as a multimedia pc connected to my tv and a laptop which I use for downloading and everything else. The PC doesn't have wireless so I am currently having to transfer files to a memory stick and then copy them to the pc which takes time.

I have an old sky hub and I was wondering is it possible to connect the hub to the PC and share the laptop to it wirelessly so that I can have files on the laptop and view them on the PC?

I am currently using windows 8.1 on both machines, if it is possible can you explain it as you would to a child :D as even though I know a lot about computers networking is not something I have ever has the pleasure to deal with.
    Buy a WiFi USB dongle and save your self a whole world of grief. :)

Oh,if PC and router are close enough why not run a length of ethernet cable? Even easier than WiFi.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Oh,if PC and router are close enough why not run a length of ethernet cable? Even easier than WiFi.

Or you could do it with Homeplugs :D

But if they are close enough together a simple cable is by far the best solution for networking.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, I have been trying on and off for a week now and about 10 minutes after posting this I finally got homegroup to work.