Chromecast - will you get it?

Comments

• ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I've just been looking in to the media browser app for the iPhone a bit more and i'm almost certain that it operates in a similar fashion to PLEX in that you have to install and run the server part of it on your PC and then connect to the server IP it gives you via that.

So it still doesn't quite do what I want unfortunately.

Goodplayer does "sort of" do what is needed, but if memory serves, it actually has to download the file locally to the phone before it casts it.

I had a play with media browser last night as well. You are right you have to install a server, and the android/ios app then connects to the server.

I have plex that currently does that, so didnt have any need for it.

Cant believe there isnt a way to stream local media (nas or via SMB) of any type. I use localcast but its limited in the formats it will play...it wont do MP4 or MKV.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big update for the device for screen mirroring
    Google has distributed an update for its Chromecast HDMI dongle that enables Android device owners to stream content live to their TV screen.

Software update 1.7 lets users select the 'Cast Screen' command from the navigation drawer to sync their tablet or smartphone with Chromecast.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a583279/google-chromecast-screen-mirroring-update-lands.html#~oJCd3RnjSPstTW
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Yup. Found this out by accident the other day on my Nexus 5. I pulled down the notification tab with 2 fingers to bring up the wifi etc menu and Cast Screen was there!

Tried it and it works well. Slight lag when scrolling etc, but videos cast fine and look good. Oh and it has sound :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yup. Found this out by accident the other day on my Nexus 5. I pulled down the notification tab with 2 fingers to bring up the wifi etc menu and Cast Screen was there!

Tried it and it works well. Slight lag when scrolling etc, but videos cast fine and look good. Oh and it has sound :D

Being a lowly iPhone owner with no tablets, I appear not to be important enough for this update :)
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a lowly iPhone owner with no tablets, I appear not to be important enough for this update :)

Only a handful of android devices are actually supported atm too ;-)
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

I read about this a few days ago, yet didnt seem to be enabled on my nexus 10. Will have to take another look when I get home. Seems like a useful feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VLC is getting chromecast support, apparently on all platforms as well

http://www.omgchrome.com/vlc-chromecast-support-coming-android-ios-desktop/

iOS first, Android second and desktop last.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

That's just the Android version of the main Chromecast app - I have the iOS version on my iPhone.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    I was just trying the new Chromecast update to mirror BBC IPLAYER (Desert Island Discs), it casts the screen without any problems but there is no sound on the TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    I was just trying the new Chromecast update to mirror BBC IPLAYER (Desert Island Discs), it casts the screen without any problems but there is no sound on the TV.

Yes, it doesn't work. Probably because the BBC Media player itself has not (yet?) been enabled.

Try asking the BBC when this feature will appear. The iPlayer team have been very coy about when the iPlayer app itself will be made ready for casting radio :(
    Forum Member
    killjoy wrote: »

I have the same problem. No matter what app I try, I get no sound.

This is a beta feature at the moment, I am sure this would be sorted out in due course.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The box says "Send video, music or anything on the web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop"
    Youtube works fine but there's absolutely no browser that can cast from a Galaxy S3. Google's own Chrome browser doesn't even support it. Can only add the extension to the laptop but that's not what the box says.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen that the NOW TV app from Sky has added Chromecast support. Could this mean Sky Go won't be far behind?
  • BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen that the NOW TV app from Sky has added Chromecast support. Could this mean Sky Go won't be far behind?

Personally I would think it unlikely as I'm sure that functionality would lose Sky a fair few Multiscreen subscriptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would think it unlikely as I'm sure that functionality would lose Sky a fair few Multiscreen subscriptions.

Good point. But then I suppose they could compensate by nudging up the price of Sky Go?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point. But then I suppose they could compensate by nudging up the price of Sky Go?

Or include it in Sky Go Extra (if that's what it's called) which you pay extra per month for...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or include it in Sky Go Extra (if that's what it's called) which you pay extra per month for...?

Yeah, another good point. I can't see them dismissing the idea entirely because it could potentially lead to more people signing up for the service
    Forum Member

Since google have introduced functionality to cast your screen (albeit in beta). You can run sky go, and then cast your device screen to the tv.

I have tried this with the skysport app, and it worked quite well. No reason why the Sky go app should work either. If I remember I will give this a go tonight, and see how it works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Since google have introduced functionality to cast your screen (albeit in beta). You can run sky go, and then cast your device screen to the tv.

I have tried this with the skysport app, and it worked quite well. No reason why the Sky go app should work either. If I remember I will give this a go tonight, and see how it works.

Can you please clarify which devices you are talking about here?
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Sky Go does not support mirrorcast (what it sees chromecast as when casting the screen to TV) Nor does it support HDMI out from phones or Tablets.
    I've tried getting Sky Go from my Android phone and tablet to my TV via both chromecast and HDMI out with no luck. The only way I can get it to work is via my Laptop's HDMI out, but that's only because it sees it as a monitor rather than a seperate device.
    Forum Member
    Can you please clarify which devices you are talking about here?

I have a nexus 10, which does mirror the screen. As I can remember playing clash of clans, whilst having it on the tv.

I did forget to try Sky go...will give it a go this evening. If I do, I will report back tomorrow.

The nexus 10 does have hdmi out, so you can run a cable from the tablet to the tv, and you would. For me the sound didnt work, but the picture did. This was due to my tv. Others have got both sound and picture. Whether sky go supports this is another matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I have a nexus 10, which does mirror the screen. As I can remember playing clash of clans, whilst having it on the tv.

I did forget to try Sky go...will give it a go this evening. If I do, I will report back tomorrow.

The nexus 10 does have hdmi out, so you can run a cable from the tablet to the tv, and you would. For me the sound didnt work, but the picture did. This was due to my tv. Others have got both sound and picture. Whether sky go supports this is another matter.

I can only speak for the Sky Go app on Android but from the beginning it has always blocked HDMI-out. My Nexus 4 also has the new screen cast facility but if you try to use it with the Sky Go app you just get the message "Sorry but the Sky Go app does not support Miracast".

Perhaps you can explain how you got it working?

Be aware too that connecting to the Chromecast from a device using screen casting when allowed gives a very poor video experience compared with using compatible apps. This is because with screen-casting the video is first being streamed from the internet to your phone or tablet where it is then processed to be sent sent on again by wifi to the Chromecast. The apps however use the phone only as a control device and the video itself is streamed direct from router to Chromecast.

Screen casting does work just fine for general browsing and there is very little little lag.
    Forum Member
    Ok, remembered to try this. Sky go does not work with either my tablet or phone (LG G3) using the screencast feature. You get an error stating that sky go does not support miracast. The sky sports app does work on my phone, l don't have the app on my tablet. The quality of the image on the TV was at best SD quality, so watchable.

Sorry for misleading some of you. I can only think that sky have updated the sky go app to stop it working with the screencast feature, or l was mistaken when l said l got it to work.