Ebay problem, seller wants more P&P

2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
Forum Member
Hi, sorry for staring another thread about Ebay, but I need a little advice.

I took a phonecall this morning for my son who won an item a couple of days ago, it is a heavy item and the seller had £15 P&P listed, my son paid and now she is saying that she went to the post office and they wanted £25 to post it, and she wont send the item unless my son agrees to pay the extra.

She has said that if it is not acceptable that she will cancel the transaction and refund him, but he really wants the item, but isnt prepared to spend another £10 on postage, as it was not the original agreement.

What are his rights conscerning this? I have never come across anyone wanting more money after the sale for P&P, when I sell things, I always post them regardless of whether they cost me more.

She wants an answer tonight my text or email, my son is desperate for the item( he is autistic and I dont want him to be taken advantage of by the seller) and wants to give her the money, but I am loathe to let him do this.

Thankyou in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was £15 definitely the only price listed, was there anything stating to email for a quote as prices may vary on certain circumstances etc.

if not then definitely report to ebay for non-performing seller
  • LeatherTrumpetLeatherTrumpet Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask what the weight is

even 20KG is only 14.95 standard parcels. or tell her you will get a courier to pick it up at your expense and then use shiply or sendit quick and they will pick it up for about a tenner.

failing all that you can report her but you cannot force her to sell.
    http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2016&rcode=IV%25P20073&subject=Seller%20Non-Performance&bcrumb=+Home+%3E+Help+%3E%A0Rules+and+Policies%A0%3E%A0Rules+for+Sellers%A0%3E%A0Seller+Non-Performance&instruction=&expirationDate=

http://www.shiply.com/ebay-couriers-delivery-services.php?ref=798488&gclid=CLXB-t78racCFcsb4QoddkASBw
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    There is nothing in the descrption about P&P and just this in the postage part

£15.00

United Kingdom

Economy Delivery (Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard)

Within 7-9 working days
    * Estimated delivery dates - opens in a new window or tab include seller's dispatch time, and will depend on postal service selected and receipt of cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

No other options. She said it weighs about 3 stone! ( its an old video recorder) and that she doesnt want to post it and lose money on the P&P.

Never used a courier like that before, I will look into it ;)

Thanks for the replies
  • LeatherTrumpetLeatherTrumpet Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »

£15.00

United Kingdom

Within 7-9 working days
    * Estimated delivery dates - opens in a new window or tab include seller's dispatch time, and will depend on postal service selected and receipt of cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods.

No other options. She said it weighs about 3 stone! ( its an old video recorder) and that she doesnt want to post it and lose money on the P&P.

Thanks for the replies

tell her to wrap it and send a courier to collect. I would give a neg when you finish to warn others and at the same time report her to ebay.
    Forum Member
    Okey dokey,will do, thanks for the replies :)
  • cass19cass19 Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I've sold and bought plenty of items of e-bay and it is up to the seller to take the loss if they put an incorrect amount for the postage!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would report her, it is her mistake. I have made a loss on items as I under valued the postage, but would never think about asking the buyer to pay more than what I had originaly asked for.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cass19 wrote: »
    I've sold and bought plenty of items of e-bay and it is up to the seller to take the loss if they put an incorrect amount for the postage!
    that is my thinking here as well.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - Have you tried this company? it's a hook up hub for people who need to send stuff/ or get delivery when couriers may be 'going there anyway'

You can simply list your ebay item number they will automatically know what size/weight it is (if the listing is correct) then different couriers will bid for the job. My friend just got a huge pushchair delivered from an ebay seller from Aberdeen to Manchester for just £15

Good luck

http://www.shiply.com/
    Forum Member
    Yes I think it is worth reporting, I always meet the payments if I have beggared up, I did it only yesterday to the tune of almost a fiver, its tough luck on me as I see it.

I would rather lose a little on the final price than mess a buyer about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Tell her that she's 'contractually obliged' to give you the item at the price that she listed it at. It was her mistake; not yours.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member

£15.00

United Kingdom

Within 7-9 working days

Thanks for the replies

Blimey! That's some video recorder. Isit made from granite or something!?!

TBH, it sounds like the seller is trying to profit from the p&p.

I would get on to ebay about it.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Point out to her that you placed your bid factoring in the postage like most people do. It is up to the seller to work out their postage and it's part of the winning bid. If she had put a higher postage in the original auction, I doubt she would have got so much in bids.
    Forum Member
    Barbella wrote: »
    Blimey! That's some video recorder. Isit made from granite or something!?!

TBH, it sounds like the seller is trying to profit from the p&p.

I would get on to ebay about it.

Its a vintage one ;)
    Forum Member
    Denise wrote: »
    Point out to her that you placed your bid factoring in the postage like most people do. It is up to the seller to work out their postage and it's part of the winning bid. If she had put a higher postage in the original auction, I doubt she would have got so much in bids.

This is what I told her, I said his funds are resrricted, and she just said'well I will refund him if he doesnt want to pay'but he already has paid!
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask her how she would have felt if at the end of the auction you told her that you felt it was worth £10 less so were going to pay £10 less after all.....!

She misjudged P&P, not your fault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not going to be as much as 3 stone (20kg), I'd be very surprised if it weighed more than 10kg.
    Get a courier to collect it and drop it off to you at your expense, and get her to refund the postage amount.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_M wrote: »
    It's not going to be as much as 3 stone (20kg), I'd be very surprised if it weighed more than 10kg.

Old stuff was surprisingly heavy by today's standards - our first VCR was a Sony C5 in 1982, which according to this spec sheet weighed 15.5kg (the burglars still managed to get it over our back wall!).
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what I told her, I said his funds are resrricted, and she just said'well I will refund him if he doesnt want to pay'but he already has paid!

I think at this point I would give the feedback as a negative stating 'refused to send unless I paid an extra £10 postage than listed' and do a non performing seller report to ebay, it may make her change her mind to get mutual removal of feedback. If not, then get a refund and find a better seller.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cass19 wrote: »

Same here. Sometimes I've made a mistake on P&P estimates, but have always sucked it up.

However, if it would still be good value at 25 pounds P&P and it would be hard to find elsewhere and your son really wants it, maybe you could offer to split the difference with them (and then leave 'em neg when it's all over)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd open a dispute and let Ebay sort it out.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheeky bitch!

I know ebay put maximum P&P costs on some types of items. I know they do for DVDs. I wonder if they said £15 was the max, she put it in then found it cost more?

I'm sure, actually, when I tried to sell my Wii (with balance board) on ebay £15 was the limit... In the end I sold it locally by pick-up so never had to see if £15 was enough.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    It's her fault she messed up and you shouldn't have to pay the extra! Report her to Ebay and give her negative feedback.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Courier can take it for £6.99
    visit www.parceltogo.com

Ask her to use that?
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Courier can take it for £6.99
    visit www.parceltogo.com

Ask her to use that?