Nigel Adkins has been sacked from Southampton

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    No true fan would say this.

I'm a lifelong fan and too find this decision appalling.
    But if Southampton is your club you should continue to support them whoever is in charge, and to NEVER wish relagation for your own team.

I think it is good that sometimes fans do let those in charge know what they think. They can still offer full support to the team, and should do, but this is the latest of many disgraceful sackings, and many fans are sick of it, whoever they support.

I hate seeing managers getting sacked when they're doing as well as they can with what they have.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    He has a good managerial record ...

Bangor City - W: 70 D: 18 L: 24 Win ratio: 63.79%
    Scunthorpe United - W: 83 D: 44 L: 72 Win ratio: 41.71%
    Southampton - W: 67 D: 25 L: 32 Win ratio: 54.03%

League of Wales 1993-94, 1994-95 (then didn't return to management until 06')

League One champions 2006–07
    League One play-off winners 2008–09
    Football League Trophy runners-up 2009

League One runners-up 2010–11
    Championship runners-up 2011–12

Four promotions in the last six years.

Fantastic record is that, i didn't realise it was as good as that actually who ever gets him next as there manager is certainly getting a talented manager, i know that doesn't guarantee success but they will be getting a man who's CV gives them a chance.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    La Liga manager of the year in 2011, highly respected young manager.

No need to disrespect the new man just because 1) he's foreign and 2) the existing manager should never have been sacked.

Oh yes, I think it's important us Saints fans remember that this new guy hasn't done anything wrong and he deserves our support. However there's nothing wrong with showing our utter outrage at sacking Nigel.

If Nigel had quit, I really don't think I'd have minded this guy being brought in. He seems alright but the bottom line is he shouldn't have been sacked.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    La Liga manager of the year in 2011, highly respected young manager.

No need to disrespect the new man just because 1) he's foreign and 2) the existing manager should never have been sacked.

I say who because ive never heared of him.
  • Options
    Janine999Janine999 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a disgrace - just as they had climbed out of the relegation zone.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Mauricio Pochettino sounds world class :D

Nigel Adkins - who are ya!
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Is this what happens now if you don't win at Stamford Bridge?

Awful decision.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humm I wonder if he will go to Blackpool, as they have a vacency now don't they, and he has proved that he can get teams out of The Championship and into the Premier League.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humm I wonder if he will go to Blackpool, as they have a vacency now don't they, and he has proved that he can get teams out of The Championship and into the Premier League.

I'd be surprised he he didn't.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Terrible decision.

Club owners are becoming progressively more insane.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Bonkers :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised he he didn't.

I think it would be a very good appointment, and would be a good move for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be a very good appointment, and would be a good move for him.

Won't be the right move for h im because the right move for him would have been to stay exactly where he is.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Claudio Ranieri took over at Chelsea, if you remember he couldn't speak English, and had to have an interpreter during his press conferences, but he worked out fine, by the end, English football was sad to see him go, he even joked about himself, when the reporters would call him the tinker man
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Claudio Ranieri took over at Chelsea, if you remember he couldn't speak English, and had to have an interpreter during his press conferences, but he worked out fine, by the end, English football was sad to see him go, he even joked about himself, when the reporters would call him the tinker man

We're not upset about the new guy being appointed. Had NIgel quid, I wouldn't have minded this appointment but we're uspet that Nigel was sacked after doing so much for the club.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    This is all down to Cortese wanting to be the new Abramovich.
    This article explains what type of person he is:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2230118/Nicola-Cortese-Southamptons-Saint-iron-fist.html

That article made me laugh, talk about deluded.
    For all his faults, at least Abramovich is prepared to his money where his mouth is. How much has Cortese actually spent on players ?..probably less than Roman would pay for the taps in his bathroom.

The sacking is a terrible decision by a vile individual who will only succeed in eventually destroying the club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That article made me laugh, talk about deluded.
    For all his faults, at least Abramovich is prepared to his money where his mouth is. How much has Cortese actually spent on players ?..probably less than Roman would pay for the taps in his bathroom.

The sacking is a terrible decision by a vile individual who will only succeed in eventually destroying the club.

30 million in the summer....That's not too bad for a newly promoted club...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more i read about Cortese, the more sympathy i have for Southampton fans.

This is surely a person who deserves the "rafa" treatment.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very messed up

but i agree no real saints fan would ever wish for relegation

they have a right to be angry for sure though

new manager might do well,its just adkins had given no reason to be sacked, maybe owner didnt trust him with funds to move the club forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't be the right move for h im because the right move for him would have been to stay exactly where he is.

Yes that would be true, nand should be so, but since he is now unemployed, it would be a good move for him as of this moment.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems this has been planned for awhile. He has said he knows the players because he has been researching them for several weeks.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30 million in the summer....That's not too bad for a newly promoted club...:rolleyes:

Agreed, but I was talking about Nicola Cortese personally.
    He's not spending his money, he's spending the Liebherr family money. He's not a football man, Cortese was the late Markus Liebherr's banker, and he sounds like a thoroughly nasty piece of work.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    joke decision!!
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Southampton's owners will "venky" the club into oblivion.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crazy thing to do but lets not go overboard.

There are 3 points above the bottom 3, Played some of the tougher games already, Have a good team and have not appointed the lolly pop man as the new manager. This has clearly been on the cards for a number of weeks (if not longer) and the new guy would have done his homework on the team already. Yes personally I would not have done the same thing but at the same time its something major