Options

Hollyoaks- People complaining about its new format

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
Forum Member
I have noticed alot of people complaining about Hollyoaks recently and how the episodes are fitted, its going back to more paced storys with comic scenes and group interaction like Hollyoaks was pre 2010
People who started watching since the revamp are use to the big drama every episode even if it means plot lines and a sloppy show, while the silas plot was a great storyline Hollyoaks only meant to have these storylines every few years for effect the browing walker ect was overused

So while some people will call the episodes boring im enjoying seeing more character interaction and comic scenes which has been missing these past few years

anyone agree?

Comments

• Options
    RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed alot of people complaining about Hollyoaks recently and how the episodes are fitted, its going back to more paced storys with comic scenes and group interaction like Hollyoaks was pre 2010
    People who started watching since the revamp are use to the big drama every episode even if it means plot lines and a sloppy show, while the silas plot was a great storyline Hollyoaks only meant to have these storylines every few years for effect the browing walker ect was overused

So while some people will call the episodes boring im enjoying seeing more character interaction and comic scenes which has been missing these past few years

anyone agree?

I agree. I was a huge fan of Hollyoaks from 2003-2008, it was pretty terrible in 2009 but had another producer other than Paul M taken over from Lucy Allan it could've had a minor revamp and gone back to a quality character driven soap, however that didn't happen and Paul near enough destroyed Hollyoaks, with his sudden re-writes, re-shoots and implausible plots such as Warren's return. I like that Hollyoaks has gone back to being about characters, however this is clashing with some of the big characters' that were introduced during the 2010-12 era such as Brendan as he feels out of place in the current episodes.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I agree. I was a huge fan of Hollyoaks from 2003-2008, it was pretty terrible in 2009 but had another producer other than Paul M taken over from Lucy Allan it could've had a minor revamp and gone back to a quality character driven soap, however that didn't happen and Paul near enough destroyed Hollyoaks, with his sudden re-writes, re-shoots and implausible plots such as Warren's return. I like that Hollyoaks has gone back to being about characters, however this is clashing with some of the big characters' that were introduced during the 2010-12 era such as Brendan as he feels out of place in the current episodes.
    I'm intrigued to know what you mean by the BIB. Who do you see as the 'characters'?
  • Options
    RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    I'm intrigued to know what you mean by the BIB. Who do you see as the 'characters'?

Well whenever I tried watching between 2010 the show always left me cold, characters like Brendan and Mitzeee worked because they were big characters but quite unbelievable, I'm not saying Hollyoaks has always been perfect when it comes to creating believable characters but the ratio between believable and unbelievable was better before, and the show was like that during 2010-12, full of big storylines but they were quite unbelievable but now it seems to be trying to go the other way, not small storylines, but more grounded in reality and that's why this Walker storyline isn't really working now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well whenever I tried watching between 2010 the show always left me cold, characters like Brendan and Mitzeee worked because they were big characters but quite unbelievable, I'm not saying Hollyoaks has always been perfect when it comes to creating believable characters but the ratio between believable and unbelievable was better before, and the show was like that during 2010-12, full of big storylines but they were quite unbelievable but now it seems to be trying to go the other way, not small storylines, but more grounded in reality and that's why this Walker storyline isn't really working now.

exactly the story line is out of place, the silas story worked for that era but its a new era now so i see why bryan wants characters out and in ect
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    The Esther story aside, what storylines are ground in reality right now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think the main flaw with the walker stuff is that it's basically the exact same scene, like, twice an episode, every single episode. it's insanely repetitive, and that's making it annoying. i still think that walker should be kept as background as possible for as long as possible. he should have something more like one 10-30sec clip very scarcely - just enough to remind us that he's there, without ramming him down our throats - at the end of a series of events that have gone wrong for brendan to show that he's the one who manipulated it that way. he should be simmering in the background until he's ready to come out and play.

i like that it's gone back to involving more characters interacting with each other and a bit of light relief, like leanne (who i adore - minority, i know). but i also like the slow, tense build up of storylines before they explode. i think a good build up makes them more enjoyable. there just needs to be a balance.
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Dublintvfan- I always like your posts and threads/they provide very good talking points.

Personally i'm really enjoying Hollyoaks at the moment, and I think focussing on the characters rather than the sensationalism is a good idea. When the characters are where they need to be the sensationalism will in theory build itself.

I think personally what I really like at the moment is that a lot of the characters I'm starting to understand. I know many people dislike/despise Will- but I almost get him. He is sociopathic but i almost understand his motivations. I also understand why Texas is behaving the way she is, and going to him even though she's clearly not got feelings for him other than guilt, and I like the brother rivalry.

My one bug bear with the show is the change in characters which makes no sense- for example Rhys having an affair with Cindy, after the rape drama- and Jacqui's attitude towards lying about Riley to get Mercedes off- but I think this is slowly starting to be rectified.

Overall im enjoying the show a lot, and if they could get the aftermaths and consistency of characters and stories right and not waste other really good potential storylines (JP/Bart) then I think the show could really evolve in the next few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goosebee wrote: »
    Dublintvfan- I always like your posts and threads/they provide very good talking points.

Personally i'm really enjoying Hollyoaks at the moment, and I think focussing on the characters rather than the sensationalism is a good idea. When the characters are where they need to be the sensationalism will in theory build itself.

I think personally what I really like at the moment is that a lot of the characters I'm starting to understand. I know many people dislike/despise Will- but I almost get him. He is sociopathic but i almost understand his motivations. I also understand why Texas is behaving the way she is, and going to him even though she's clearly not got feelings for him other than guilt, and I like the brother rivalry.

My one bug bear with the show is the change in characters which makes no sense- for example Rhys having an affair with Cindy, after the rape drama- and Jacqui's attitude towards lying about Riley to get Mercedes off- but I think this is slowly starting to be rectified.

Overall im enjoying the show a lot, and if they could get the aftermaths and consistency of characters and stories right and not waste other really good potential storylines (JP/Bart) then I think the show could really evolve in the next few months.

thank you:) what annoys me though is pointless scenes that cut other ones, we had the build up to the kanes party going to the dog yet we get a walker brendan and kevin scene which really wasn't needed in the episode
  • Options
    Darren MetcalfeDarren Metcalfe Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I like Hollyoaks. I look forward to seeing who the new bad boy will be and how Clare Devine, Mercedes Fisher and DR Browning interact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I just don't like some of the writing and the sudden changes of characters, and I think some are poorly developed. But over all it is okay, I just don't like all the changes happening at once xD
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Agree with dublin and Goosebee.

It makes it all that more real, Tony and Cindy for example had very little character interaction with any one other than themselves and Rhys with the odd other scene over 2012. But especially Cindy has really come back into her own character so far in 2013 and that's totally because of integration with other characters.

Like Dianne and Patrick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Yeah the Will story is really grounded in reality. And I'm sure Claire's stories will be grounded in reality. The Kirkwood fans are blind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ennoea wrote: »
    Yeah the Will story is really grounded in reality. And I'm sure Claire's stories will be grounded in reality. The Kirkwood fans are blind.

manipulation and jealously of a sibling to phycotic levels, im pretty sure that happens:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a drama, I tend to prefer interesting characters portrayed by talented actors to believable but dull characters played by untalented and dull actors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a drama, I tend to prefer interesting characters portrayed by talented actors to believable but dull characters played by untalented and dull actors.

i find most of the cast bar one or two atleast the ones featured heavily very good actors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i find most of the cast bar one or two atleast the ones featured heavily very good actors
    Then we should agree to disagree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then we should agree to disagree.

who do you not enjoy whos being featured at the moment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    who do you not enjoy whos being featured at the moment?
    Most people, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »

I second this! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manipulation and jealously of a sibling to phycotic levels, im pretty sure that happens:rolleyes:

I don't agree with the storyline but I can sort of see how Will's character has been led through the writing to this point though I'm not comfortable with it as the more and more it goes on the more and more unrealistic in my mind it will become. It's basically being implied that Will's actions and motives are never being questioned by his family and friends which in reality they would do at some point. In some ways in my mind Dodger has empathised with Will to the point where he tried to see things from Will's present point of view (literally). Unfortunately I don't actually see the whole storyline working in real life. As far as I see - maybe the Will/Texas thing would sort of work if Will showed any sort of consistent animosity to Dodger but he doesn't. Will isn't particularly sorry for what he's done which is in line with how the character is currently seen but for me that is the only facet of the character that is currently believable. If he'd really snapped, he'd be giving Dodger a very wide berth, claiming Dodger was the reason everything had gone wrong and even if he were trying to get on side with Texas, just basically ensure that everything was pointing in Dodger's direction. As far as I'm concerned the character of Will has been created in Dodger's shadow (though I'm aware Will was introduced first) so why after everything that's happened still want to be in as much company as could be tolerated and more. Surely it would be the opposite ...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Deschanel wrote: »

HO of ALL soaps has always been the least grounded in reality when it comes to certain storylines.
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member

Nobody ever said the shows storylines are grounded in reality. In truth is any soap realistic? What I did say was im starting to understand the characters more and why they are behaving the way they. Im really enjoying Will, Dodger and Texas at the moment. I also really liked John-Paul and Doug...though I didnt think I would.

Dont get me wrong I know the show has some failings and there are a number of things im not enjoying right now, but on the whole I perso ally think the show is on the way up.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think most Hollyoaks storylines are somewhat over the top, but that's what keeps me watching!

Thinking back to Kirkwood's last era, it had record ratings and won more awards than any other soap at the 2008 British Soap Awards. Yet the storylines included the whole Clare saga with her trying to kill Max, being pushed off a balcony and driving her car off a cliff. They also had Niall taking the McQueen's hostage and blowing up the church, a lesbian love triangle resulting in a sabotaged parachute jump and countless others which had little grounding in reality but made for exciting, award winning viewing.

Of course, the more serious storylines like Hannah's anorexia were far more realistic and handled with sensitivity.