Options

Any other IBS sufferers in?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If so what do you use to relieve your symptoms? I've had IBS for a couple of years now, had all the tests for other things that came back clear so in the end it was put down to IBS and to be honest my doctor didn't seem to worried so I assume IBS is a fairly common thing?

I find I am always worse in the morning, soon after waking I have to make the morning dash to the loo and I'll go a good few times in the morning but then I find it usually settles down and usually have no issues until the following morning.

I've noticed a few triggers such as curries or hot food, alcohol etc, but also notice when I am no where near a toilet or can't get access to a toilet I can bring it on by worrying about it.

Imodium offers temporary relief if I have to go somewhere but would like a more permanent solution.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband had it for years, and "cured" it with diet. He finds no wheat, very little dairy has made such a difference to his life also no spicy foods.

I don't know if that would work for everyone but it certainly helped him.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not too bad if I avoid things I know trigger it for me like onion and garlic, And yes stress and worry does it to me as well, Many a time I have been a prisoner of the toilet :(
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was happening when the IBS kicked in? A stressful event? A tummy bug? Antibiotic use? A change of diet?

If it was a tummy bug or antibiotic use then try a Prebiotic/Probiotic supplement.

Feeling worse in the morning is quite normal - stress is usually higher in the morning. If the main trigger is stress then you need to learn to relax - not easy I know - remove whatever stress you can from your life. Try hypnotherapy/exercise/massage/swimming/meditation, whatever does it for you.

Also keep a food diary, to see what kicks it off.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP. Another sufferer here. I used to get the "early morning rush" you mentioned, but now I can get it any time, anywhere. My mum suffers from it too, and has the obvous triggers such as wheat, but there doesn't seem to be any common denominator for me and my attacks.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    Imodium offers temporary relief if I have to go somewhere but would like a more permanent solution.

Not sure there is a more permanent solution :(

I have exactly that same - 3 or 4 urgent visits in the morning then fine all day. I get Imodium on prescription and find taking two at night and two in the morning keep it under control.

As others have mentioned, diet is important too.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Another sufferer here. I find I'm mostly ok as long as I don't overdo certain foods and drinks. Everyone has different things that trigger attacks, in my case cold fizzy drinks (I don't keep things like this in the fridge), raw onion, some other things. I think stress can play a part as well. I also keep a supply of Fybogel to use when necessary. Taking this for a few days helps when I have pain.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one. Stress is a big factor but my job can be stressful and tiring. I don't go to restaurants any more. I try and lead a quieter life than I used to and mainly just live with it.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *raises hand to join the club*
    Chocolate and fatty foods like chips are triggers for me.
    I take codeine for another problem which helps the loose end, and I have lactose for when I am not so loose.
    Suffer with pain especially after a movement, and bloating. Oh and I can evacualte a room in 5 seconds when I am windy. I often put my dog to shame with my wind. :D
    I tend to class it as part of me now.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me. Can't tolerate any gluten, dairy, fruit juices, meat/fish or strawberries. Too much yeast in products gives me pain, too.

Stress never helps, either.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Mine is triggered by dairy, very cold drinks/food and various other foodstuffs, normally results in severe bloating and embarressing wind (lets put it this way, I can only have a milkshake if I know I'm not going out in public for 2 days!!)

As a preventative I take Acidophilus supplements to balance my gut.

But if I do have a flare up I use Peppermint capsules and ibuprofen (I've tried all the other meds available for IBS like Mebeverin and Buscopan and none seem to work)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a martyr to it constantly for 12 years and still suffer occasionally.

What put it on the back burner for me was discovering I was intolerant to coffee. it started when I was 13 and discovered coffee, which we never had as a family before that - we were tea drinkers before.

I found peppermint oil or anything with natural mint in such as pot of peppermint tea or peppermint-cream-centred chocolate, helped, especially with the pain.

I am a vegan and have belonged to vegan groups and so many people have told me that their IBS went once they gave up dairy.

Eggs are also a huge trigger for me.

It's well worth keeping a food diary or thinking what you started to eat when your IBS started.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffered from it twice, both at times of high stress. Once I removed the stress (ie: when I quit), the IBS vanished, literally overnight.

During the worst of it, my Doctor prescribed anti-spasmodics which alleviated at least the severity of pain. The bloating & *immediacy* continued however.

It's a horrible thing to have. Really, really awful. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get it all the time but just bad pains and also a strange stomach thing - which made me feel as tho I couldn't get my breath or swallow properly - both were ages before they were diagnosed properly. I control both now with my diet - but there's meds on repeat if I want them - the IBS one is Mebeverine, if I have to take it I just take it until the symptoms are relieved.

I found if I ate too many onions or spicey foods or drank too much Black Tower that would set the IBS off. I can have these things now but have to watch the amount. Stress had a lot to do with it too. At times the pain would be as tho someone was stabbing me - it was awful.
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have pooh related issues myself, stemming from an operation I had several years ago that left me with a spinal cord injury.
    It means my pooh is all Type 1 on the Bristol Stool Chart and I have to use a finger to get it all out.
    Not quite the same problem as the OP, but just letting you know that you're not the only person out there with problems of a similar nature. :)
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IBS problems are unique to each person, depending on their diet. Some might find something as simple as upping fibre and fruit and veg helpful, but too much fibre can sometimes make peoples' problems worse. I'm another who was helped enormously by removing glluten found in wheat, from my diet. Gluten is simply the glue that sticks our food together and our bodies certainly don't need it! Eat too much then it sticks to our insides too and no other way to word this, but makes everything else sticky (reluctant to leave!) causing the horrible cramps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=goldberry1;I found if I ate too many onions or spicey foods or drank too much Black Tower that would set the IBS off. I can have these things now but have to watch the amount [/[/B]QUOTE]

bit in bold is one to watch OP. I can get away with drinking one or two mugs of coffee every month, but if I drank it more than that, if I drank it every day, I'd be in pain all the time.

Sometimes foods only bring on IBS if they're consumed regularly.

The pain was absolute agony for me, and I really sympathise with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IBS problems are unique to each person, depending on their diet. Some might find something as simple as upping fibre and fruit and veg helpful, but too much fibre can sometimes make peoples' problems worse. I'm another who was helped enormously by removing glluten found in wheat, from my diet. Gluten is simply the glue that sticks our food together and our bodies certainly don't need it! Eat too much then it sticks to our insides too and no other way to word this, but makes everything else sticky (reluctant to leave!) causing the horrible cramps.

bit in bold: I can second this. My GP insisted I had it because I didn't eat enough fibre, but all the added fibre just aggravated it really badly for me.
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I have temporary IBS which I have for about 3 weeks at a time then it goes for 6 months ora year, then it comes back again.
    I've found a cure (for me anyway). I take vitamin B6 and Magnesium from Holland and Barrett, 1 tablet each per day. It works wonders.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    bit in bold: I can second this. My GP insisted I had it because I didn't eat enough fibre, but all the added fibre just aggravated it really badly for me.

Fibre is a killer for me. Potatoes, bananas, wholemeal bread, veg, fruit - unless I eat them very sparingly I'm in agony. The pain goes right round my back and into my hips and groin.

But doctors and nurses insist on telling me to eat fibre because it's good for IBS. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SayheySayhey Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Diet for me, cut down on fat and I took peppermint capsules
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Actually been to the doctors today about my bowels. Was advised to eat more fibre, but also been booked in for a blood test as there's a couple of symptoms that suggest the possibility of something more. I think I'm going to find changing my diet quite tough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what causes mine. I use Buscopan when it's really bad.

Even my doctor has no idea what causes it. It's a bit of a mystery.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another sufferer here - it's always worse when I'm stressed / nervous. The best medication I've found is mebeverine - very common pills for IBS - but worked wonders for me (and a colleague who had been on it for years) - I would suggest anyone who hasn't tried these to try them!

Also my diet makes a massive difference - but there's certain foods that I just struggle to be 'good' with.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Another sufferer here - it's always worse when I'm stressed / nervous. The best medication I've found is mebeverine - very common pills for IBS - but worked wonders for me (and a colleague who had been on it for years) - I would suggest anyone who hasn't tried these to try them!

Also my diet makes a massive difference - but there's certain foods that I just struggle to be 'good' with.

This is exactly my scenario - I posted on this thread after having no symptoms for ages then yesterday I had a few pains again - been eating too much curry - so be warned everyone, try to be good.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being allergic to fruit (anaphylactic shock, heart stops, breathing stops) I know how hard it is to be good (strawberries look particularly nice at the moment) but concentrates my mind they could kill me. Think of your triggers like that and you may find it easier to resist. ;)