Options

Pressure canning. Anyone?

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone here do pressure canning or do you know of anyone that does?

I have a pressure canner as wanted to make my own jars of food from my garden produce, markets and supermarket offers etc for the winter time BUT OMG-oodness the jars cost a fortune here and any money you save, plus much more, is lost at having to fork out for the jars.

They are so cheap in the USA but here you need a mortgage to buy them. Even 2nd hand ones seem to cost the same amount as the new ones. Can buy them in the USA cheaper, but the shipping is outrageous.

How do you get round this?

Comments

• Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Use a Kilner jar instead.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anything to Victor Canning....?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

As I have said they cost a fortune.

Jam jars are a fraction of the price :(
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    As I have said they cost a fortune.

Jam jars are a fraction of the price :(

I blame Jeremy Clarkson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just use jam jars as long as there is a rubber seal inside.
    Plus i just use a big pan and boil them up, works for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sazzysuzie wrote: »
    Just use jam jars as long as there is a rubber seal inside.
    Plus i just use a big pan and boil them up, works for me.

Isn't that hot water canning though? Cant do it that way for meat and many other things. Its has to be by pressure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that hot water canning though? Cant do it that way for meat and many other things. Its has to be by pressure.

Ah yes my mistake ... Sorry i cant help you :( good luck on your mission tho :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sazzysuzie wrote: »
    Ah yes my mistake ... Sorry i cant help you :( good luck on your mission tho :)

Thank you.

I keep searching to see if there is any reason why jam jars cannot be used, but cant find anything on why not, nor on if they can.
  • Options
    TerualTerual Posts: 388
    Forum Member

I have a pressure canner as wanted to make my own jars of food from my garden produce, markets and supermarket offers etc for the winter time BUT OMG-oodness the jars cost a fortune here and any money you save, plus much more, is lost at having to fork out for the jars.

They are so cheap in the USA but here you need a mortgage to buy them. Even 2nd hand ones seem to cost the same amount as the new ones. Can buy them in the USA cheaper, but the shipping is outrageous.

How do you get round this?[
    I tend to use Llyod Grossman jars.
    I make pasta sauces from home grown tomatoes. I put the jars in the dishwasher and make sure the sauce is ready at the moment the dishwasher cycle is complete. That way the sauce and jars are very hot. Screw the lids on, holding them in a towel. As they cool you hear the vacuum created pop the lids.
    I have been doing this for years, although I probably only use the same jars two or three times.
    /QUOTE]
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

I keep searching to see if there is any reason why jam jars cannot be used, but cant find anything on why not, nor on if they can.

If you're talking about using jars which previously contained shop-bought jam, pickles etc., I think they're unsuitable for home-preserving as they're designed down to a cost which means they're only safe for one heat cycle. If that's the case (and I'm by no means 100% certain!) it would be false economy if you had any breakages and had to throw away the product as well as the jar.

The likes of Kilners (and "Mason jars") have thicker, tempered glass, and are specifically designed to be reused.

What sort of sizes and prices have you been looking at? You can get decent sized jars for less than £2 each, and they should last for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terual wrote: »

How do you get round this?

I tend to use Llyod Grossman jars.
    I make pasta sauces from home grown tomatoes. I put the jars in the dishwasher and make sure the sauce is ready at the moment the dishwasher cycle is complete. That way the sauce and jars are very hot. Screw the lids on, holding them in a towel. As they cool you hear the vacuum created pop the lids.
    I have been doing this for years, although I probably only use the same jars two or three times.

Quote is messed up tried to fix but brain isnt working

That is hot water canning not pressure canning. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about using jars which previously contained shop-bought jam, pickles etc., I think they're unsuitable for home-preserving as they're designed down to a cost which means they're only safe for one heat cycle. If that's the case (and I'm by no means 100% certain!) it would be false economy if you had any breakages and had to throw away the product as well as the jar.

The likes of Kilners (and "Mason jars") have thicker, tempered glass, and are specifically designed to be reused.

What sort of sizes and prices have you been looking at? You can get decent sized jars for less than £2 each, and they should last for years.

No, I'm not talking about reusing old shop bought jars. Just that type of jar. You can get thick or thinner ones. So im sure I can get some good quality jam jars

Where did you see the less than £2 a jar?

I have looked at Kilner. Mason and other pressure canning jars. if I buy them I wont be able to afford to eat for a few years :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    No, I'm not talking about reusing old shop bought jars. Just that type of jar. You can get thick or thinner ones. So im sure I can get some good quality jam jars

Where did you see the less than £2 a jar?

I have looked at Kilner. Mason and other pressure canning jars. if I buy them I wont be able to afford to eat for a few years :D

If you search Amazon for ...

Lakeland 2lb Glass Jam Jars x 4

... a pack of four 900g jars works out (including postage) at £7.78 for the four. Larger orders (over £30) seem to be free postage, although I haven't read the small print! ;-)

Or search for ...

Kitchen Craft Home Made Deluxe Glass Preserving Jar, 500ml (17oz)

... £1.69 each with free delivery on orders over £10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you search Amazon for ...

Lakeland 2lb Glass Jam Jars x 4

... a pack of four 900g jars works out (including postage) at £7.78 for the four. Larger orders (over £30) seem to be free postage, although I haven't read the small print! ;-)

Or search for ...

Kitchen Craft Home Made Deluxe Glass Preserving Jar, 500ml (17oz)

... £1.69 each with free delivery on orders over £10.

I think you misread my post. I know I can get jam jars cheap but not pressure canning jars. Also if there was any reason Kilner and Mason type jars are used and not jam jars. The USA only use the mason type is that because they dont really have a need for the jam jar type as well.. or is there another reason they dont use that type.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hot water canning and of course the jars can be reused over and over again - it's the lids that have to be replaced. I like the idea that not only am I saving a bit of money (admittedly not a lot) but I now exactly what's in the sauce/soup/whatever I'm making. Since I don't eat any meat I don't do any myself, but I'm pretty sure it can be done - perhaps check online.

Just an observation; I don't know that washing the jars in a dishwasher is enough - I always boil mine immediately before using. However, if someone's been doing this and it's worked for them, then I guess it's adequate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found out the jam jar lids are not built to withstand the heat of a pressure canner, only the water bath canning. Been trying to find "High heat" jam jar type ( Lug Plastisol) lids but hate trying to find what I need in amongst so much of what I dont need. :(

I'm sure food manufacturers would use very high heat with their lids, but cant find a source that sells to the public.

I am rubbish with search engines every time I search they bring up "pretend results" that when I click have nothing to do with my search:confused::D

Can anyone either find me some high heat lug lids or help me know the right way to use a search engine. Google used to be great for me but lately fails me all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hot water canning and of course the jars can be reused over and over again - it's the lids that have to be replaced. I like the idea that not only am I saving a bit of money (admittedly not a lot) but I now exactly what's in the sauce/soup/whatever I'm making. Since I don't eat any meat I don't do any myself, but I'm pretty sure it can be done - perhaps check online.

Just an observation; I don't know that washing the jars in a dishwasher is enough - I always boil mine immediately before using. However, if someone's been doing this and it's worked for them, then I guess it's adequate.

Meat and most other things are supposed to be done under pressure as the heat from a water bath isnt enough to kill off botulism spores.

If your dishwasher has a high temp setting then that is fine for getting your jars ready or in the microwave for 30 secs is great as well if you are not a fast worker so you only do one or two jars at a time