Options

Anti Barking Collars

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
Forum Member
Hi All

I know i have been on this site earlier this week about my dog barking but today for the first time in ages i went out for dinner only to cut it short after receiving nasty text messages from my neighbour because my dog was barking constantly.

I am really desperate now and have to go out in the day on Thursday but am scared to death of leaving my dog. I have not had him too long but i think he was spoilt by his previous owner who unfortunately died. I think Barney was actually fed from their plates and given left overs etc as he is quite fat too although i have put a stop to that and give him dog treats when he is good. I need help regarding anti barking dogs collars, i have no idea what sort of one to buy and am on a tight budget. Could anyone please give me some advice on these collars please and which one is best.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can simply put a collar on and leave - it's used as part of the on going training you are doing to stop the barking.

If he is barking when you leave him I would imagine this is separation anxiety if you put a collar on him that scares him more you could do more harm than good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with molliepops ~ you can't just put a collar on your dog & expect him to miraculously stop barking:eek:.

You need to find out & address the root cause of the problem & this would involve looking at his whole emotional state & well-being, his history & general management regime.

Just putting on a collar that emits a citronella spray, or a puff of air, or, heaven forbid, an electric shock, would be like telling someone off for crying when they had just experienced a tragedy!! They may temporarily cease crying but you wouldn't have addressed the reason for the crying or helped in anyway to make them feel better!

Your best bet is to find a reputable & preferably qualified canine behaviourist ~ perhaps ask your vet for a referral? If your dog is insured, the cost of the behavioural consultation may be covered by your insurance. But please don't just put an anti-barking collar on your dog & don't believe the advertising hype that accompanies these collars!

In the meantime, if you have to leave your dog, could you ask a friend, relative, neighbour or dogsitter to stay with him until you can get started on a proper behavioural modification programme? Or perhaps take him with you?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the dog in an excited state when you leave him?

By excited I mean anxious, pacing around, panting, trying to block you from leaving, ears alert, eyes alert? If you leave him like that he'll likely bark when you're gone.

You need to calm him down by asserting your leadership on him. The area around the front door is your space and he shouldn't come into it unless you invite him.

You need to practice the leadership skills I highlited in the previous thread. It may not happen overnight so stick at it.

My guess is your dog is of an unbalanced state of mind due to confusion regarding his rank caused by inconsistent leadership.

Some dogs need to know what they're expected to be doing all the time. His barking is likely induced by the stress of not knowing what he should be doing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( i feel your pain on this one. my 10 year old collie x who ive owned from a pup has howled and barked when left since day 1. we have tried allsorts, but she still does it. she used to chew when she was a young pup too, at least she outgrew that i guess.

now whenever we get new neighbours, i write a letter explaining that we know she barks and howls, we leave her in the centre of the house so she is as far away as possible from both neighbours, and we leave her as little as we can. she is only left when she cannot come with us, shopping etc. i make huge apologies, and give our mobile numbers to them to contact us if she gets too much to live with if we are out.

so far so good, we have only had 1 neighbour complain, yet his 2 dogs were exactly the same whenever he went out :rolleyes: hes moved on now so everyones happy.

we have tried leaving the tv/radio on, letting her have the whole run of the house instead of just the hallway and stairs, leaving worn clothes with her so she has our scent to lay on, leaving the cat in with her,we even tried a new dog from a rescue, which did work, but he had to be PTS as he bit a young child, and now she wont take to another dog nor can we afford another.

our neighbour on one side is very very good, she used to have a dog who was very similar to ours and she says theres nothing you can do, shes family and thats that :) to be honest, at 10 years old my dog is very very unlikely to get over this. we too have considered anti-bark collars, but so far havent got one as im not sure they would help. if shes nervous about being alone, then a spray in her face or an electric shock may stress her more and even turn her back to chewing :eek: id rather she pees the neighbours off on the odd occassion of a weekend when we arent around!