Options

Is my cat depressed post-op?

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or am I being impatient?

She was neutered on Thursday, and has spent pretty much all her time since asleep on the bed!

Now, I know she's going to take time to recover, but the thing is, my cats in the past have bounced back and have been okay pretty much straight away.

Admittedly, she is slowly getting perkier, but she'll come out from the bedroom for an hour or so, and seem to want to play, but not, and then retire back for some more sleep! I caught her this morning just staring out of the window, and then she came and lay in bed with me. In fact, just now she's mosied in and has lied down by my foot.

She was veyr sensitive to being stroked and cuddled until today, but now she can be petted. I dunno really.. is she just still tired after the op and still a bit sore inside maybe?

edit - she's been very good with her wound. The vet used some kind of skin fold + glue technique.. you can hardly tell that there's anything there, and she hasn't touched it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of them do bounce back almost immediately, others take longer, like people :)
    Sounds as if she's doing fine so far.
    Surgical wounds take about 10 days to heal to the point that if she had had stiches that is when they would be removed, and most vets advice keeping them in for that time too so for 2 days post op I really wouldn't worry.
    Just let her rest and recover, sounds like she's keeping herself comfortable by not doing too much too soon and giving herself time to heal :)
    See how she is after a week, she should be more her old self by then, unless she's decided she likes the extra attention too much :p.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she is improving, even slowly, then wouldn't worry too much. As Tass says, we all recover at different rates. It might be the op, it might be the anesthetic, it might be the whole experience has upset her and she needs a bit of 'down time' and reassurance.

Does she have a post op check up booked? My vet does this (after 7 days IIRC) in addition to stitch removal if appropriate (obviously not in your case!). If so, you can voice any concerns to the vet then.

If you are still worried by Monday, I'm sure the vet won't mind a call if only to set your mind at rest.:)
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both. She's getting a bit perkier again today, but then totally flaking out! She is going for a check up next week just to make sure that everything's okay, but I think that I'm worrying about nothing.

She's started to wake me up in the morning again as well, so that's a good sign ;)