Options

Filming My Father: In Life and Death CH5 7pm 11/03

myssmyss Posts: 16,527
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm surprised no-one started a thread on this fascinating and emotional journey of someone diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease and how it had affected him and his family, recorded in film by his son. I'm watching on +1 and it will repeated on CH5 +24 (if you have it) tomorrow.

I'm only 20mins in and the speed of the disease and the determination of the sufferer who was a doctor is outstanding.

ETA: Not sure if he was a doctor, I could have sworn I read it somewhere but not entirely sure.

Comments

• Options
    flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very brave and moving documentary. I used to work for an MND charity, it's so important to raise awareness and understanding about this disease. It does progress for people in different ways. I've worked with people who died within months of diagnosis. So sad. The film really documented the massive effect it has on the family as a whole.
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    Lost a very dear friend to MND some years ago. She did not want any kind of assistance - feeding tube, tracheotomy, etc. and died at home six months after diagnosis. Another friend was diagnosed four years ago and is kept alive by all means possible but - remarkably - has never used any of the communication tools which are available. This seems like a living hell to me, but obviously each case is different.
  • Options
    KittenfaceKittenface Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I found this programme very moving. What a decision to allow your illness to be filmed by your son. Felt so much for the family and Steve himself there are no words to describe how life as you know it ends and a new one begins.

I am out this morning with a new look at life and grateful for all I have.

My mum used to say " health is wealth" and dear God watching this program has made me realise how true this is.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this on Catch up.
    I wish they did update at the end of the programme
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did update .
    They said he was continuing to fight MND
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you,somehow missed it
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment, it's on Demand 5 for anyone wanting to see it.
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this on catch up. Very moving and so distressing to see the effect it was having on him and his wife.

The Marie Curie Nurse who sat with my dad at night whilst he was dying of lung cancer told me MND was the hardest disease for her to handle as their minds are so sharp right up to the end.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very moving film about a very brave family and an extremely cruel disease.

Makes you think again about Stephen Hawking who has lived with the MND for some 50 years.