My car is juddering

AdsAds Posts: 37,037
Forum Member
I seem to be having an on/off problem with my car (a 9 year old Mazda 323). About 3 weeks ago I was driving and it started juddering every now and again, in the same way that a car judders when you stall it - although the engine didn't cut out, I quickly had to press down the clutch incase it did. Then this problem suddenly stopped, but this morning on my way to work the car started juddering again in the same manner.

Has anyone any idea what might be wrong with it?

Comments

• ÐåÑ©ìÑG ÐïVÅ™ÐåÑ©ìÑG ÐïVÅ™ Posts: 5,706
    Forum Member
    I would try new spark plugs and leads.

Same happened with a car of mine a few years ago.

Good luck..
  • KamiKami Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As suggested you could try new spark plugs and leads, but try removing and cleaning the plugs before buying new ones, sometimes it's just residue. You can also sometimes tell if there's a problem from the way the spark plugs look (colour etc). Plenty of websites have info on this.

It could also be air getting into the fuel mixture somewhere or simply poor petrol, try a different petrol station!

If it hasn't been serviced for a while, it might be worth putting it in for a check up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a number of things but start with the basics.

Has it been serviced regular ? if not check air filter

As above try spark plugs - might be worn

Check leads - could be wet, loose or simply old and no good

Is it injection or manual fuel pump - manual fuel pumps can wear causing juddering taking off and stopping.

Hows you're exhaust ? - knackered exhaust can cause problems too.

Any hissing from any of your pipes under the bonnet - vacuum hoses with holes or cracks will cause juddering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say juddering, do you mean like kangarooing? I can't offer any advice, but am looking for some too.

My car had a service about 400 miles ago and has been regularly serviced every 6 months, as the previous owner seems to have taken great care of it. So I didn't think it would be a problem with the leads, sparks or filters.

But over the past week it has been kangarooing when pulling away, until it gets up to 3rd gear or about 20 miles an hour. I find if I take the clutch to biting point and pull away and very gradually bring up the clutch it reduces it. But it's become pretty dangerous and quite embarrassing too!

I am taking it to the garage today, so I'll let you know what they say if it's similar symptoms to yours. Although the last time I saw a mechanic, they really tried to do a number on me, so advice would be appreciated in preparation.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    ShellyD wrote: »
    When you say juddering, do you mean like kangarooing? I can't offer any advice, but am looking for some too.

My car had a service about 400 miles ago and has been regularly serviced every 6 months, as the previous owner seems to have taken great care of it. So I didn't think it would be a problem with the leads, sparks or filters.

But over the past week it has been kangarooing when pulling away, until it gets up to 3rd gear or about 20 miles an hour. I find if I take the clutch to biting point and pull away and very gradually bring up the clutch it reduces it. But it's become pretty dangerous and quite embarrassing too!

I am taking it to the garage today, so I'll let you know what they say if it's similar symptoms to yours. Although the last time I saw a mechanic, they really tried to do a number on me, so advice would be appreciated in preparation.

Yes my car was kangarooing. Let me know how get on at the garage, and thanks for all the advice guys.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty lambda sensor on the catalytic converter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Fuel filter??????????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from the mechanics, my cars juddering problem was caused by a split in air intake duct. They have duct taped it for now and it has completely sorted the problem and all for under £20! So feeling very happy.

The other things they checked first were HT leads and plugs, so maybe worth looking at these first.

Hope you get it sorted, as if it was anything like mine it was not only annoying and dangerous, but highly embarrassing as people think you just can't drive
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    ShellyD wrote: »
    Just got back from the mechanics, my cars juddering problem was caused by a split in air intake duct. They have duct taped it for now and it has completely sorted the problem and all for under £20! So feeling very happy.

The other things they checked first were HT leads and plugs, so maybe worth looking at these first.

Hope you get it sorted, as if it was anything like mine it was not only annoying and dangerous, but highly embarrassing as people think you just can't drive

thanks Shelly - if the problem continues when I drive home from work, I'll get it looked at. I suspect I will have to pay a little more than you did though!