13»

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Calamity Jane
    West Side Story ("Mah-ree-ah, Mah-ree-ah, Maaaaah-reeeeee-aaaaaah!" *stab* *stab* DIE! *stab* *stab*)
    any musical film that features Irene Dunne, Deanna Durbin, Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald, Gene Kelly, Mario Lanza, Judy Garland, etc. Oh, and Elvis Presley.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=cnbcwatcher;74901729]Dirty Dancing
    Mamma Mia
    Titanic

Lord of the Rings
    Bridesmaids (and other chick flicks)[/QUOTE]

Women might like these films, I can't say I know a single bloke that does. With the exception of Avatar & LOTR.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Silence of the Lambs. Load of old w*nk in my view.

Ghostbusters was pretty dire too.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Calamity Jane
    West Side Story ("Mah-ree-ah, Mah-ree-ah, Maaaaah-reeeeee-aaaaaah!" *stab* *stab* DIE! *stab* *stab*)
    any musical film that features Irene Dunne, Deanna Durbin, Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald, Gene Kelly, Mario Lanza, Judy Garland, etc. Oh, and Elvis Presley.

West Side Story is the best musical ever. The only one that even remotely rivals it is Wizard of Oz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree on Dirty Dancing. I'll add Muriel's Wedding, another much loved chick flick.

I really liked Muriel's Wedding.

I agree on Dirty Dancing though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me:

Most Marvel movies ie. Captain America etc. - They are all just 'meh'
    The English Patient - OMG, that was sooo boring!
    A Clockwork Orange - If I never watch that rubbish again, it would still be too soon!

I think I need to rename myself to Ms Grumps now :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    West Side Story is the best musical ever. The only one that even remotely rivals it is Wizard of Oz.

My great-aunt would agree with you if she was still alive. She made me watch West Side Story with her every day when she babysat me for a summer.

All those on my list were her favourites. She made me learn all those songs so that we could do a singalong during our horribly long car rides. Her favourite phrase after ten minutes in a car: "So quiet... I know! How about if we sing [song of her choice]? It'll pass time quickly, won't it? Are you ready? Let's go! *Ding-dong, ding-a-ling-dong! Were the steeeeeple bells ever quite as gaaaaay? Won-der-ful, won-der-ful daaaay!* Come on, Takae, sing louder!"

Every damn time. She was a terrible singer, too. So was I, to be fair. But yes, I have a special place in hell for the musical film genre.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My great-aunt would agree with you if she was still alive. She made me watch West Side Story with her every day when she babysat me for a summer.

All those on my list were her favourites. She made me learn all those songs so that we could do a singalong during our horribly long car rides. Her favourite phrase after ten minutes in a car: "So quiet... I know! How about if we sing [song of her choice]? It'll pass time quickly, won't it? Are you ready? Let's go! *Ding-dong, ding-a-ling-dong! Were the steeeeeple bells ever quite as gaaaaay? Won-der-ful, won-der-ful daaaay!* Come on, Takae, sing louder!"

Every damn time. She was a terrible singer, too. So was I, to be fair. But yes, I have a special place in hell for the musical film genre.

Your aunt was awesome. Most of my aunties wouldn't even know what the West Side Story is!
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and most inexplicably, The Avengers.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slum dog miliionaire - awful

mamma mia - watched from behind a cushion
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    About 90% of these suggestion so far are by no means loved by everybody. Many of them are well-known for being nothing special - I mean, Avatar? Pretty much everyone acknowledges that as being a dull, by-the-numbers CGI-fest. It's nowhere near being a much-loved film.

The thread mostly seems to be "a film some like which I don't like".

What films are loved by everybody? None, I would suggest. Therefore, the best anyone can do is list films they don't like which seem very popular with most other people (from our personal perspective) - i.e. Oscar winners and box office smashes.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    What films are loved by everybody? None, I would suggest. Therefore, the best anyone can do is list films they don't like which seem very popular with most other people (from our personal perspective) - i.e. Oscar winners and box office smashes.
    I already responded to that question earlier in the thread.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Musicals are not shit, goddamn it......>:(

If you don't like 'traditional' musicals, what about more alternative ones? Rocky horror, Tommy, rent, sweeny Todd, Jesus Christ superstar, shock treatment, Jerry spinger: the opera?.....
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are not such thing as bad movies. Just general 'classics' and 'personal' favorites. Anything else's, Is something you don't like personally. It's not 'shit', it's just not your cuppa tea.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Musicals are not shit, goddamn it......>:(

If you don't like 'traditional' musicals, what about more alternative ones? Rocky horror, Tommy, rent, sweeny Todd, Jesus Christ superstar, shock treatment, Jerry spinger: the opera?.....

I never said musical films were shit. In fact, I can say there are many well-made musical films.

In spite of my dislike towards Gene Kelly, Singin' In the Rain is a well-made film. So are West Side Story, Yankee Doodle Dandy, etc. Some interesting ones, too. Thank Your Lucky Stars, Stormy Weather, It Started with Eve (Deanna Durbin), The Harvey Girls, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, etc. Some terrible films have excellent musical performances. There's one with Frank Sintara as a Mexican bandit - that was a seriously terrible film, but Kathryn Grayson gave one of her best musical performances in this film.

It doesn't mean I have to like them, though. I can't like them, not after being force-fed those during my childhood years. :D

Jesus Christ Superstar is already on my list, but I can't stand Rocky Horror, Tommy and similar, either. I'm just not keen on musical films at all. I can watch one, but I just don't go out of my way to watch it. I hope this clarifies a bit better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings, Hobbit and most inexplicably, The Avengers.

I love LoRs and the Hobbit. But I definitely agree with the Avengers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said musical films were shit. In fact, I can say there are many well-made musical films.

In spite of my dislike towards Gene Kelly, Singin' In the Rain is a well-made film. So are West Side Story, Yankee Doodle Dandy, etc. Some interesting ones, too. Thank Your Lucky Stars, Stormy Weather, It Started with Eve (Deanna Durbin), The Harvey Girls, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, etc. Some terrible films have excellent musical performances. There's one with Frank Sintara as a Mexican bandit - that was a seriously terrible film, but Kathryn Grayson gave one of her best musical performances in this film.

It doesn't mean I have to like them, though. I can't like them, not after being force-fed those during my childhood years. :D

Jesus Christ Superstar is already on my list, but I can't stand Rocky Horror, Tommy and similar, either. I'm just not keen on musical films at all. I can watch one, but I just don't go out of my way to watch it. I hope this clarifies a bit better.

I'm not overly keen on musicals either, although there are some that I like such as the Little Shop of Horrors.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Under The Skin
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Amelie
    Eraserhead
    The Master
    Django Unchained
    The Usual Suspects
    Vertigo
    X-Men: First Class
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if it was the hype or my over-expectation but I didn't rate Skyfall at all. Can't stand the Indiana Jones films either. Aside from those I seem to be in step with Joe Public on most films
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    There are not such thing as bad movies. Just general 'classics' and 'personal' favorites. Anything else's, Is something you don't like personally. It's not 'shit', it's just not your cuppa tea.....

I never said any of that. :confused: Think you maybe quoted the wrong post.