Comments

• SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    130. The Martians Are Coming - Alan Gallop 7/10
    Amberley Publishing, 159 pages
    <Documentary / History> The true story of the Mercury Theatre / Orson Welles production of HG Wells' War Of The Worlds on CBS radio in 1938 that led to panic in the New York, New Jersey areas and resulted in real injuries, chaos and significant disturbances on the night and reverberated across the United States, Hitler's Germany, Mussolini's Italy and around the entire world. A wonderful true story that demonstrated the reach and power of radio in the 1930s... as well as the genius of the man Orson Welles.

131. The Incredible Hulk 1996-1997 - Peter David, Mike Deodato Jnr, Adam Kubert etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 587 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Incredible Hulk #424-459, Annual #21. Omnibus, Janis and the year of Onslaught and its aftermath.
    132. The Incredible Hulk 1998-1999 - Peter David, Joe Casey, Adam Kubert etc. 4/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 399 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Incredible Hulk #460-474, Annuals #22, sees the end of David's amazing run with the death of a major character. Joe Casey's short run is relatively weak.

133. Swamp Thing - Len Wein, David Micheline, Gerry Conway, etc 6/10
    D C Comics, 510 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The original Swamp Thing series conceived by Len Wein (of Uncanny X-Men fame!)
    134. The Saga Of The Swamp Thing - Martin Pasko, Alan Moore etc. 7/10
    D C Comics, 685 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Saga of the Swamp Thing (#1-30); best known… because #20 saw the mainstream debut of Alan Moore in the USA… and debatably it is the best debut by a comic writer ever. A genius reimagining of the Swamp Thing with superb plotting and dialogue.

135. Taken At The Flood - Agatha Christie 7/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 352 pages
    <Detective> The twenty seventh Poirot book case is a gripping affair with the widow of a dead millionaire being loathed, yet begged from by his wider family. Add in a murder and loads of disinformation and queer behaviour, there's a very interesting case for Poirot to look into. One of my favourite cases.

136. Private No. 1 Suspect - James Patterson & Maxine Paetro 7/10
    Arrow Books (Random House), 455 pages
    <Crime> This Private book is typical of the series… multi-cases being investigated by the team, and in this book, Jack Morgan himself becomes a number one murder suspect. As ever a page turner that was hard to put down.. read in a day.

137. Lair - James Herbert 7/10
    Pan Books (Pan MacMillan), 271 pages
    <Horror> 25+ years after first reading it… the sequel to Herbert's 'Rats' is not as scary, but still a good read and nice sequel. Five years after the original Outbreak, in Epping Forest, there begins to be signs of a return of the mutant Black Rat species, so Ratkill investigator, Pender, is assigned to look into it.... thank you James Herbert, may you rest in peace.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20. Capital by John Lanchester.
    A fictional look at the lives of the residents of, and people connected with, Pepys Road, South London circa 2008, just before and durng the banking crisis. The lives of the Asian family running the corner shop, a little old lady, a Polish builder, a Banksy-style artist, a traffic warden, A Premiership footballer and a City banker and family are intertwined to a certain extent. There's a mystery surrounding some postcards and the author explores the unexpected and wide ranging effects of seemingly inconsequential actions.

I thought that this was a good read and would like to know what has happened to the various characters five years on. Sequel please.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    31. Three Days in Chicagoland - R.J. Ellory
    32. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
    33. The Shell Seekers - Rosamunde Pilcher
    34. Poirot Investigates - Agatha Christie
    35. Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

36. Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
    37. The Big Four - Agatha Christie
    38. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories - Washington Irving
    39. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
    40. Ratking - Michael Dibdin
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    1400 Swimming Home - Deborah Levy

oops- should have been 140)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    141) You, me and him - Alice Peterson
  • ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    68. Memnoch the Devil - Anne Rice
    69. The Vampire Armand - Anne Rice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    142) A Hero for Leanda - Andrew Garve
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    40. Frost Burned - Patricia Briggs
    41. Deadlocked - Charlaine Harris
    42. Desire Unchained - Larissa Ione
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21. Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch.
    Another enjoyable adventure with Peter Grant and his colleagues from the Folly and the Met. As the title suggests this time much of the story is set in tube train tunnels and the London sewers. This book isn't as dark as its predecessor (Moon Over Soho) and is very funny in places. I like the nuggets of information about London that the author manages to include in the story and am becoming quite fond of the various characters.
    I listened to the Audible version. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is an excellent narrator and does a good job differentiating between the characters with a range of accents.
    I shall look forward to the next book which is due out in a few weeks time.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    1 - A Year Like No Other by Pauline Lawless
    2 - How To Save A Life by Sara Zarr
    3 - Twisted by Sara Shepard
    4 - Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
    5 - Private Lives by Tasmina Perry
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18, The Finding - Nicky Clarke,
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20. Wool - Hugh Howey. A post apocalyptic tale. Originally 5 separate novellas, now condensed into one book.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14) The Stand - Stephen King

Whoop Whoop! I've finally finished it - it is a mammoth book, but I'm glad I read it. Very good.
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    11. Paper Towns - John Green
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15. Gone Tomorrow- Lee Child
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    143) Better Together - Sheila O'Flanagan
    144) No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone - Tom Bower
    145) Beneath The Shadows - Sara Foster
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    137. Lair - James Herbert 7/10
    Pan Books (Pan MacMillan), 271 pages
    <Horror> 25+ years after first reading it… the sequel to Herbert's 'Rats' is not as scary, but still a good read and nice sequel. Five years after the original Outbreak, in Epping Forest, there begins to be signs of a return of the mutant Black Rat species, so Ratkill investigator, Pender, is assigned to look into it.... thank you James Herbert, may you rest in peace.

138. The Incredible Hulk 1999-2000 - John Byrne, Paul Jenkins etc. 4/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 589 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Hulk #1-21, Annuals #23-24 including Jenkins' 'Dogs Of War' arc with General Ryker.
    139. The Incredible Hulk 2001-2002 - Bruce Jones, Paul Jenkins, John Romita Jnr etc 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 630 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Hulk #22-46, Annuals #25. Hulk conspiracy arcs begin.
    140. The Incredible Hulk 2003-2004 - Bruce Jones, Paul Jenkins, John Romita Jnr etc 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 722 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Hulk #47-76. Totally dominated by Jones' great Home Base conspiracy arcs.
    141. The Incredible Hulk 2005 Peter David etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 253 pagse
    <Graphic Novel> Hulk #77-88. Sees David's return in time to pen the House of M crossovers as well as 'Tempus Fugit'.

142. Planet Hulk - Greg Pak and Daniel Way 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 429 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Incredible Hulk #88 - #105 - Another huge story from the Marvel Civil War timeline as the Illuminati's underhandedness sends the Hulk off into outer space... the start of Pak's incredible reimagining of the Hulk brand

143. Swamp Thing 1984 - 1986 - Alan Moore, Rick Veitch, Stephen Bisette etc 6/10
    D C Comics, 660 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Swamp Thing volume 2 #31-56. Moore's sensational American debut series continues.

144. Immortal in Death - J D Robb (aka Nora Roberts) 6/10
    Piatkus Books, 404 pages
    <Crime> The third case in Nora Robert's 'In Death' series written under the pseudonym JD Robb sees Lt Eve Dallas getting ready to be married, when her best friend Mavis becomes primary suspect for the murder of a top actress. The case gets more complex and at every turn Eve feels she's thwarted. I enjoy the cases, but the 'romantic' stuff with Eve and Roarke is getting a bit trying.

145. Death Message - Mark Billingham 7/10
    Sphere (Hachette UK), 516 pages
    <Detective> Tom Thorne book 6. As stated before, this series is as good as the Rebus and Wallander books... this case continues in that vein. A former top cops' teenage son goes missing after been seen with a strange women outside his school… Thorne is called in, when the police begin to suspect kidnap. Thorne working with Louise Porter in the Kidnap Unit, begins to suspect that there's a lot more to the case than what meets the eye. Great case, great read, great series.
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19. Bonded - Nicky Charles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    146) The Brightest Star in the Sky - Maeve Binchy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    43. House Rules - Chloe Neill
    44. Dead Iron - Devon Monk
    45. Beauty Awakened - Gena Showalter
    46. You Slay Me - Katie MacAlister
    47. Kitty Rocks the House - Carrie Vaughn
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15) A Cottage by the Sea by Carole Matthews
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17. Is it Just Me? - Miranda Hart
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    38. Interpreters, by Sue Eckstein. Written from three viewpoints, this story of the repercussions of the effect on a Jewish/Dutch/German family of WWII down the generations didn't grab me. Well written, and usually my kind of book, this was one viewpoint too many for me. 2/5

39. Gorky Park, by Martin Cruz Smith. Investigator Arkady Renko solves the murder of three skaters found dead under the snow in Gorky Park. Loved Arkady Renko, and this is one of a series so I will probably try the others, but was a little disappointed with this classic. Maybe a bit too long. 3/5

40. Knots and Crosses, by Ian Rankin. Previously only read one Rebus, so thought it was time I caught up with the series. This is the very first, and I'm not impressed but I know they get better! 2/5

41. Secrecy, by Rupert Thomson. Set in late 1600s Florence, waxworker Zummo becomes embroiled in love and intrigue. Not bad. 3/5
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3) Little Gypsy-Roxy Freeman
    4) Star trek the next generation: Cold equations- The Body Electric- David Mack
    5) The colour Purple- Alice Walker
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    48. Dead Ever After - Charlaine Harris
    49. Grave Witch - Kalayna Price
    50. Dark Days - Caitlin Kittredge