Why doesn't Digital Spy give you a rating for the number of posts you make?

2»

Comments

• GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    No. My self-interest has to argue against such a system.

Who wants to be the guy with negative points?

Do people really give a damn? DS isn't the be all and end all of life.
  • Dave23Dave23 Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    So what would my rating be then, joined from the start in March 2000 but not reached 200 posts yet :p
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of at least one forum where postcounts and join dates etc. aren't shown. A thread on there ran for ages with arguments about why people with lower member numbers (it was the only obvious way to work out who'd been there longer) should be treated with more respect or taken more seriously.

It seems to be human nature to try and create a hierarchy, however meaningless.

Another I occasionally use has a 'reputation' system, where posters can rate each others' posts up or down. The more reputation points you have, the bigger the green bar above your name and the more you can give.

Groups of posters colluded to make lists of other members they would trade reputation points with, inflating their scores artificially. The amount of effort they put into it was impressive and a little saddening.

What was also saddening was watching new members afraid to disagree with those who had accrued high scores, as they could ruin their reputation in one hit. It spoiled the forum and I don't think it's ever recovered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    It quality not quantity that really counts.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Groups of posters colluded to make lists of other members they would trade reputation points with, inflating their scores artificially. The amount of effort they put into it was impressive and a little saddening.

LOL, that's pathetic in the extreme.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of both already goes on. Better to have it all out in the open, see who's who. Like I said sort the men from the boys. I didn't think the OP asked for ways to improve DS.
    So if you don't think the system you suggest would actually improve DS, what would be the point in adopting it?
  • iamhumaniamhuman Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget thumbs and points what about.............cash! We could earn so much cash from our posts to maybe buy new themes and layouts or maybe access secret forums.
  • Ride My DonkeyRide My Donkey Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would ratings mean anything though.:confused: Lots of posts are quite fire rounds back and forward, good hearted fun but with no substance really.
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    LOL, that's pathetic in the extreme.

Yes, and self defeating. What was once an entertaining and relatively well known forum quickly became nothing but a small group of people stroking each others' egos to improve their score while many of the forum's more interesting 'characters' left out of boredom or disgust.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like avatars on forums. Brightens the place up a bit and gives FMs some personality. I agree about signatures and post ratings though.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Do people really give a damn? DS isn't the be all and end all of life.

No, I know that.

But you and I are posting here and we have to have a reason. And for most people that reason has to be to strike a chord with other people out there.

And if you're not weird with an agenda of your own, you really don't want to hear that you have been voted negatively.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would ratings mean anything though.:confused: Lots of posts are quite fire rounds back and forward, good hearted fun but with no substance really.

They don't mean anything on any forum, they're just meaningless things to show off about. It's the contribution you make that's important, not how long you've been around (I hate the attitude some places on the net have towards newbies) or how many posts you've made.
  • Ride My DonkeyRide My Donkey Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    They don't mean anything on any forum, they're just meaningless things to show off about. It's the contribution you make that's important, not how long you've been around (I hate the attitude some places on the net have towards newbies) or how many posts you've made.

Think that's what I mean about the quantity. Lots of times I'm posting it's funny bounce off from one user on a thread, they will answer with a funny, someone else will follow with another one.

What sadoldbird has said just below is valid as well I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote: »
    It's bad enough having people post "I agree", "here here"(*sic), "i couldn't agree more"... or most vomitous "I was thinking the same but you write it so much better" type posts that people throw in to boost someone with a similar opinion when everyone else is debating properly. Having it formalised into the forum would be more than an annoyance.

Totally agree. You make the point better than I can though.
  • iamhumaniamhuman Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thoroughly agree and for that i am giving your post the thumbs up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    iamhuman wrote: »
    I thoroughly agree and for that i am giving your post the thumbs up!

Thank you kindly Sir, and for such I kind post, I give you both a thumbs up and 2 kudos points!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As aforementioned the reason there is no 'user rating' is because it would encourage people to make no end of pointless posts to get their ranking up. Mind you the same could be said of the post count.
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:p

So basically if I find something said, funny or true, I should laugh/nod silently at my computer from now on, and not let them know...unless I have something funnier or better to say :cool:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Dave23 wrote: »
    So what would my rating be then, joined from the start in March 2000 but not reached 200 posts yet :p

Hey Dave! I remember we had a fan club dedicated to you on another thread!

You are very rare indeed!
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave23 wrote: »

Not sure what your rating would be, but your signature could be "I have a life" :D
  • FoggerFogger Posts: 3,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't Digital Spy give you a rating for the number of posts you make?

Because any system like that is extremely childish and reminiscent of handing out different coloured stars at primary school.

This forum descends into childishness enough on its own, having silly badges will not improve that at all.