Options

Thinking about getting a PSP!

RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
Forum Member
Hello, I've saved up some money and i've been thinking about getting a PSP. I have had a DS before (Not a lite, the old model from when it was first released) so i do have experience with a handheld.
I've looked around and I've seen a Blossom Pink PSP 3000 which looks nice, I'm just making this thread to see what people think about PSP's so i know weather its a good idea to get a PSP or not. My dads read up a bit on it and he says it has Skype facities which exite him.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent console, poor support from Sony until recently.

Think hard about what model you get.

PSP 2000 aka Slim + Lite - Hackable
    PSP 3000 aka Slim + Brite - Hackable with correct firmware
    PSP-Go aka PSP-Go - Rumour of hack but nothing concrete

For me PSP 2000 is the best model, You can pick one up for under a £100 quid / £50 quid 2nd hand.

Games: Too many to mention - check reviews from somewhere you trust before buying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^thanks for your post. Its given me more to think about. I'd be intrested in games like Smackdown Vs. Raw and Tekken 6 for it.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont get the PSP go. More money for less functionality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^Yeah i've heard its very overpriced and it isn't very good.
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Dont get the PSP go. More money for less functionality.

Apart from missing the UMD as its download only it does exactly the same.

PSP Go does have Bluetooth, unlike the psp3000.

I have a hacked psp1000(phat) and a PSP Go, the GO comes with me on my travels all the time as its smaller and compact, unlike the hefty 1000.

g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from missing the UMD as its download only it does exactly the same.

PSP Go does have Bluetooth, unlike the psp3000.

I have a hacked psp1000(phat) and a PSP Go, the GO comes with me on my travels all the time as its smaller and compact, unlike the hefty 1000

Is a bluetooth chip really worth an extra £140? a 16gb a PSP 2000 and 16gb memory stick pro duo can be brought cheaper.
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great bit of kit, and Sony seem to have recently woken up to what it's actually capable of. Some cracking games recently too - I actually think LBP is better on the PSP than the PS3. Minis (small cheap games downloaded from the store) are good fun, and there's some cool non-gaming stuff too, like Skype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Is a bluetooth chip really worth an extra £140? a 16gb a PSP 2000 and 16gb memory stick pro duo can be brought cheaper.

Its around £90 if you go for psp3000, I got my Go for £180.

No its not but I was responding to your "Less functionality" which is misleading

g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Great bit of kit, and Sony seem to have recently woken up to what it's actually capable of. Some cracking games recently too - I actually think LBP is better on the PSP than the PS3. Minis (small cheap games downloaded from the store) are good fun, and there's some cool non-gaming stuff too, like Skype.

Totally agree, I exchanged my LBP on the PS3, but on the psp its fantastic, even better.

Not came across many mini's that are good though

g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PSP-Go is a beauty, unfortunately Sony have shot themselves in the foot by not thinking of a way to transfer UMD's to the machine. If they fix that and lowered the price to around £120 I would even think about replacing my lovely 2000 model. Minis are actually starting to pick up after the initial dross that was first released. The best minis I have played are Cubixx and International Snooker (doesnt actually follow snooker rules :mad:). Still worth getting the model, although its best features playing video is still understated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its around £90 if you go for psp3000, I got my Go for £180.

No its not but I was responding to your "Less functionality" which is misleading

g

Well it has, it dont play disk based games which is a major function loss. a PSP Fat, slim ,3000 can do everything a go does except use a Playstation Joypad+ you can install custom firmware on a PSP fat and slim.
  • Options
    lawrenma2lawrenma2 Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PSP is great. I had one for two years, sold it, missed it and bought another 6 months later.

Never actually known anyone who uses it regularly or as an alternative to a full size tv-based console. I use it if my OH is watching some crap on TV and I can't be bothered moving so will generally play FIFA 10. Also handy for flights and sitting around airports but don't use it all that often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well i have Wii for televsional console gaming. I did own an xbox360 but sold it last year, never used it much. Only ever played wrestling games on it. I love the Wii though, great family fun. I just want something handheld to have fun with. My dad went in gamestation when i was in college today, the man in the store said they'd sold out of pink ones, he said it doesn't matter the colour of the console, whats inside it what matters. He did say the blue ones sold like hotcakes according to my dad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my PSP. I got a 3000 so I could use UMDs and I have no regrets.

Never fancied a DS but this thing is great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Went in gamestation today to hear some advice myself to help me make my mind up, and the guy at the desk said, not to bother with a PSP, and DS is more girlie orientated and has better games for females, he showed me a picture of a pink dsi, limited edition apparently. He said he prefers DS', I was so sure i wanted a PSP but now i'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL The PSP is miles better than the PSP (imho). Look at the games you want and then make a decision. The DS is ok, but the PSP can play games (PSX/PSP/Minis) + music + movies + browse internet. Added to the fact the if you add custom firmware, you can play every emulator going. Its hands down the best of breed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read recently that there are more female PSP owners than male. I think it is very user friendly and would definitely go for it if I were you but it does depend what games you want to play and what kind of functionality you want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a psp 2000 about 2 weeks ago, picked up Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (for online play), Crisis Core, Invizimals with the camera (I'm such a big kid - but it's really fun) & Dissidia.

I've linked my psn account to it too and bought Fate as I'm a big fan of the anime.
    There's also an application on there for buying comics and reading them on your psp.
    I have no regrets with buying one & I can't beleive I held out so long lol

As for PSP vs DS..... I'd go PSP.
    Both machines are region free for games meaning you can play imports on them and whilst the DS is back-compatable with the Gameboy Advance, the PSP has the advantage of you being able to modify it and play emulators on it.