Why Do People Still Read The Sun

1235»

Comments

• CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    I don't read The Sun much these days.
    The Inqiury wouldn't affect my decision to buy it because I don't care.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Its good for sport and racing, plus its cheaper than the others at only 35 pence - a bargain.:D
    35p? I think you just warned me about an imminent price rise, as it's only 30p here.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I was told the reading age of the Sun (and similar 'rags') was seven, and that if we wanted to do well in our English exams we would have to read the Guardian or The Herald because it's a higher reading age.
    That can't be right. The Sun IS the Herald.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sun_(newspaper)
    The Sun was first published as a broadsheet on 15 September 1964 – with a logo featuring a glowing orange disc. It was launched by owners IPC (International Press Corporation) to replace the failing Daily Herald. Intended to add a readership of 'social radicals' to the Herald's 'political radicals', the paper did not live up to IPC's expectations. Circulation continued to decline and it was soon losing even more money than the Herald had done.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No love for the Sun but I have to say that my award for stupidest readers goes to the Daily Mail.

The sheer fact that it can put out one "lets frighten the middle classes" story after another and still get away with it scares me senseless. How gullible must its readership be.

heres a good example from the Mail Online : "St Paul's protest camp 'is a magnet for crime', court hears as anti-capitalists pledge to hold two-week Christmas party"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076020/Occupy-Christmas-St-Pauls-protesters-leave-symbolic-tent.html

Unfortunately, whilst this may be true, the article in question gives absolutely no evidence to justify using that quote as a headline.

And the responses to it on-line all say everything about its readership "Shoot em all" being one good example.
  • GuardianistaGuardianista Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a newspaper for people who find Britain's finest newspaper (The Mail) too "intellectual". The Sun do have top political guru Trevor Kavanagh don't forget.

I always buy both.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun actually have some good writers.

Ally Ross on TV
    Steve Howard on Sport
    Jane Moore bitching about other women
    Clarkson being.....Clarkson
    Lorraine Kelly, whose column admittedly looks as if it's been written by a 12-year-old

The only fly in the ointment is Frankie Boyle (enough said)

I use to enjoy Kelvin McKenzie's column before he absconded to the Mail, it came close to being libellous on many occasions and all the better for it (and he was of course banned from the Scottish Sun for making racist remarks about the Scots)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Haven't touched it since 1989. I have my reasons.
    And any person I see buying it or reading it gets a look of contempt they deserve off me.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After today's arrests of five top Sun people, it may not be around for much longer according to the Daily Telegraph's website.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9076086/Fears-over-future-of-Sun-newspaper-after-more-arrests.html
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    After today's arrests of five top Sun people, it may not be around for much longer according to the Daily Telegraph's website.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9076086/Fears-over-future-of-Sun-newspaper-after-more-arrests.html
    It wouldn't surprise me if Rupert orders it to be closed down this year. :)