New TARGET books!

chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
Forum Member
✭✭
doctorwhonews.net reports that the old Target books are getting reprints soo. Also, very excitingly ...

<<<<<

BBC Books have announced that they are to publish a novelisation of the "lost" Doctor Who serial Shada.

Shada retells an adventure that never made it to the screen. Production of the planned finale to the 1979-1980 season of Doctor Who was halted part-way through due to industrial action at the BBC, and the story was never completed. Now, drawing on drafts of the script and production notes as well as original designs and the material that was completed, prolific Doctor Who TV script writer Gareth Roberts tells this unique story, featuring Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor, in full for the first time.

Published with the full support of the Estate of Douglas Adams and Adams' agent Ed Victor at Ed Victor Ltd, Shada will be the first ever novelisation of Douglas Adams’s work on Doctor Who.

The book will be published by BBC Books in March 2012 as a £16.99 hardback.

Comments

• Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doctorwhonews.net reports that the old Target books are getting reprints soo. Also, very excitingly ...

<<<<<

BBC Books have announced that they are to publish a novelisation of the "lost" Doctor Who serial Shada.

Shada retells an adventure that never made it to the screen. Production of the planned finale to the 1979-1980 season of Doctor Who was halted part-way through due to industrial action at the BBC, and the story was never completed. Now, drawing on drafts of the script and production notes as well as original designs and the material that was completed, prolific Doctor Who TV script writer Gareth Roberts tells this unique story, featuring Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor, in full for the first time.

Published with the full support of the Estate of Douglas Adams and Adams' agent Ed Victor at Ed Victor Ltd, Shada will be the first ever novelisation of Douglas Adams’s work on Doctor Who.

The book will be published by BBC Books in March 2012 as a £16.99 hardback.

I'm really excited about that. Do you know what order they will be released in? (Target Books)
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    I'm really excited about that. Do you know what order they will be released in? (Target Books)

I may be wrong but I think the first six are due in July. Amazon have them listed for £3.26 - I've not checked if they're the cheapest but that's a nice price. :)
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    May have helped if I mentioned the novelisations in question!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Crusaders with an intro by Charlie Higson?!?! Eh?!?!
    RTD doing Auton invasion (Spearhead from Space) intro.

I have all of the Target books in a box in the attic, and they're precious, precious things. £3.26 is a gobsmackingly good price!
  • MartinMartin Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow ............. :cool:

I also have all the books in the loft and I'm sure they're mostly first editions. The ones coming out in July seem to be the releases from back in the early 70's? I remember buying Troughton's Cybermen for about 40p!

Brings back great memories of keeping a look out in the bookshops for new releases!

Funny thing is, only a couple of nights ago I did some research on the internet, found and downloaded PDF copies of the New Zealand fanclub versions of the 'missing' 5 books - Shada, City of Death, Pirate Planet Resuurection of The Daleks and Revelation of The Daleks.:)

Oh nostalgia!:D
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah used to go down to SMiths etc.. every Saturday to check if any new ones were in as I started in 1981 so many were already out so I had to hope that reprints would be on teh shelf. I ended up getting pretty much most of them
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    80 odd pence when i used to buy them. £3.50 seems an awful lot in comparison.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    80 odd pence when i used to buy them. £3.50 seems an awful lot in comparison.

If you bought a Target Doctor Who novelisation for 80p in 1973 (first one published), then the equivalent cost now would be £7.77!
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Martin wrote: »
    Wow ............. :cool:

Funny thing is, only a couple of nights ago I did some research on the internet, found and downloaded PDF copies of the New Zealand fanclub versions of the 'missing' 5 books - Shada, City of Death, Pirate Planet Resuurection of The Daleks and Revelation of The Daleks.:)

Oh nostalgia!:D

Ooh. URL please. :D
  • MartinMartin Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh. URL please. :D

OK will do!
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    If you bought a Target Doctor Who novelisation for 80p in 1973 (first one published), then the equivalent cost now would be £7.77!

Eighty pence? I'm not sure that they were that price in '73.

I had four Target books in quick succession (Time Warrior, Tomb of the Cybermen, Revenge of the Cybermen, and The Tenth Planet) and I am certain that they were retailing at 60 pence or 65 pence circa 1979, but were older stock; i.e. sitting on the newsagent's shelf for a number of years.

(God, I used love raking around in that shop to find forgotten treasures! :D)
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    trilobite wrote: »
    Eighty pence? I'm not sure that they were that price in '73.

I had four Target books in quick succession (Time Warrior, Tomb of the Cybermen, Revenge of the Cybermen, and The Tenth Planet) and I am certain that they were retailing at 60 pence or 65 pence circa 1979, but were older stock; i.e. sitting on the newsagent's shelf for a number of years.

(God, I used love raking around in that shop to find forgotten treasures! :D)

Well, that would make it £4.20 now - so they are still cheaper, equivalently. So it's plus for us, yay!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember going to my local independent bookshop (remember them?!), where they had a big shelf of Target. I'd buy each one as it was released. My first were The Stones of Blood and The Masque of Mandragora.

It was about ten years before I saw The Masque of Mandragora, and I was surprised to find the title was not pronounced The Maskway of Mandrer-GOR-a. Oh happy, innocent days ... :)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I loved the Target books. My brother and I used to read them avidly, both bought ones and ones we borrowed from the library. Many of them were brilliant, often even better than the TV version they were based on because you had only your imagination and the atmosphere conjured up by the writer (usually the very talented Terrance Dicks).
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought 5 of the 6 yesterday, Waterstone's didn't have the Cave Monsters in, but the assistant in there put all 6 through on their 3 for 2 offer and just need to bring my receipt in when they get the other one in.

He also said the plans are to re-release them all.

The books look great, bringing back a lot of memories reading these again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I too have all the Target books, all first editions but not all mint. Strangley enough I had a hell of a job getting hold of 'Attack of the Cybermen' think it had a lesser print run, took me a good few years, then I went to a convention early 90's, Nebula I think, and bugger me on a stall they had a box full of them !
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the Target books. My brother and I used to read them avidly, both bought ones and ones we borrowed from the library. Many of them were brilliant, often even better than the TV version they were based on because you had only your imagination and the atmosphere conjured up by the writer (usually the very talented Terrance Dicks).

I read them a lot in the '70s. My only 'memories' of the Troughton and Hartnell stories are from the books - I agree that imagining the stories gives a better experiance than watching the tv versions from back then. I can't think the Zarbi or Yeti were as realistic on screen as my 9 year old imagination had them:D

Sadly the books all went sometime in my Teens - probably when I went to Uni:( Pity - I'd re-read them now I'm not trying to be a 'cool kid'.:o
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

I liked the Targets that added ideas that weren't in the
    TV versions, like the Myth Makers being narrated by
    Homer (that's the Greek poet, not Bart's Dad :D ).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    My first Target books were Ark in Space and Brain of Morbius in 1977, price 60p.

My first hardback (which I was given by the kind staff at WH Allen) was Invisible Enemy.

I remember getting the Target catalogues in advance to see the cover artwork then subsequently actually getting lots of the dummy book jackets.

Book I am proudest of finding: brand new hardback of the Cave Monsters, with green dust jacket. Still have it!

In the age pre-video, it was rereading the books which actually fixed stories in your head and so when a good book was written of a bad story ones memories were distorted.

I also remember reading the book of Destiny of the Daleks in the stockroom of a bookseller before it was officially published or the TV series was over!
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be quite a lot of movements on the Doctor Who book front at the moment.

There is a new book by Dan Abnett coming out at Christmas with the Doctor versus the Ice Warriors which seems to be independent of the main range, Stephen Baxter has a second Doctor book coming out next year and there is talk of Neil Gaiman writing a novelisation of The Doctor's Wife.

Also the BBC seem to be re-releasing some of the Eighth Doctor books. Amazon have about 8 Lance Parkin or Kate Orman books listed for a August release.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Doctor Who magazine there is another 6 Target books to be republished

The Tenth Planet by Gerry Davis (intro by Tom McRae)
    The Ice Warriors by Brian Hayles (intro by Mark Gatiss)
    Day Of The Daleks by Terrance Dicks (intro by Gary Russell)
    The Three Doctors by Terrance Dicks (intro by Alastair Reynolds)
    The Ark In Space by Ian Marter (intro by Steven Moffat)
    The Loch Ness Monster by Terrance Dicks (intro by Michael Moorcock)

The 6 books will be released 10th May
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    According to the Doctor Who magazine there is another 6 Target books to be republished

The Tenth Planet by Gerry Davis (intro by Tom McRae)
    The Ice Warriors by Brian Hayles (intro by Mark Gatiss)
    Day Of The Daleks by Terrance Dicks (intro by Gary Russell)
    The Three Doctors by Terrance Dicks (intro by Alastair Reynolds)
    The Ark In Space by Ian Marter (intro by Steven Moffat)
    The Loch Ness Monster by Terrance Dicks (intro by Michael Moorcock)

The 6 books will be released 10th May

Just seen a load of them availible for pre-order on Amazon along with Shada which you can get now. Absolutley love TARGET to bitts, and the white covers! ah ha ha! Along with VHS from HMV etc, they were my first taste of Dr Who, growing up in the "wilderness years" Gosh that makes it sound depressing but it really isnt, one of best times of my life, picking an old wonder out, going to a second hand bookshop nearby to see if they had any. They dont sell them anymore. Dont get me wrong, so happy Who is back on air, also scared it means end of other good stuff to though. AAh well, I'm going on Amazon now to see which ones I havent got, I know I have Tenth Palnet, Ark in space, Zygons, the Ice Warriors. Hasnt the Yeti been released. I swear I used to have it but have lost it!:eek::(:cry::mad:
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I too used to have all the novelisations that Target released, but my first one was "Doctor Who in an exciting adventure with the Dalek" written by David Whitaker and published by Armada books. This had a great painting of the first Doctor,cape billowing in the wind, standing in front of the Tardis. This was quickly followed by the Zarbi and the Crusaders. I believe these three books were also released in hardback. I still have my copy of the Dalek book but alas gave all the rest away to charity shops many years ago.