Urgent advice regarding Manchester .

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry it's a bit last minute guys but we are visiting Manchester tomorrow for the first time . Should be spending about 4 to 4 hours there altogether .

Any suggestions for MUST see places ??

We like art galleries , museums and similar plus have an interest in animals / snakes / aquariums if there are any places/ reptile stores worth a visit - we don't DO shopping so no shopping centres !! :)

We are parking near Victoria Station so any suggestions should be signing walking distance ,

Thanks !!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend the M60 or M602, they'll take you out of Manchester. :D:D
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salford Boys Club. Get your picture taken outside and put it online. It'll increase your popularity in Japan no end.
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    Sorry it's a bit last minute guys but we are visiting Manchester tomorrow for the first time . Should be spending about 4 to 4 hours there altogether .

Any suggestions for MUST see places ??

We like art galleries , museums and similar plus have an interest in animals / snakes / aquariums if there are any places/ reptile stores worth a visit - we don't DO shopping so no shopping centres !! :)

We are parking near Victoria Station so any suggestions should be signing walking distance ,

Thanks !!

Look at the visit Manchester web site they will be telling you what they think is not too shaming
  • pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    M60 doesn't take you out of Manchester, just around it!! You would probably need the A56.
    There are plenty of things to do, personally I love the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) at the south end of Deansgate, and it's free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Museum of Science and Industry is very good (or was, when I went 20 years ago), if that floats your boat
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of central Manchester city center is walking distance
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Definitely MOSI - lots to do and see there. If it is a nice day a walk around Castlefield opposite is good as well. The library is very impressive if you are into interesting buildings.

As far as exotic aminals are concerned I don't think there is anywhere near the city centre.
  • CoolCatFlashCoolCatFlash Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Oxford Road has a huge museum, if you're not familiar with Manchester it may be worth taking a taxi, it's within walking distance (if you're a keen walker) but it'll cost about £3-£5 in a taxi.

MoSI is really good too, and is right next to where they filme Coronation Street where you can sometimes see through the fence to see filming.

Afleck's Palace is within 5 minutes walk and is located in the Northern Quarter, which is nice if you fancy a drink or two.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    pmyoung wrote: »
    M60 doesn't take you out of Manchester, just around it!! You would probably need the A56.

Definitely the A56, it takes you to Old Trafford and you know what! :D

Probably not enough time to explore down there though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So , no outstanding art galleries or reptile stores in the city centre then ?

Thanks for the sensible suggestions , so far ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    So , no outstanding art galleries or reptile stores in the city centre then ?

Thanks for the sensible suggestions , so far ;)

There are I just can't remember the name - why don't you Google?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgent advice regarding Manchester

I'd go with the napalm...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are I just can't remember the name - why don't you Google?

Yeah I will do , just wanted some 'inside info' from thise who know Manchester well .
  • CoolCatFlashCoolCatFlash Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    There's a fantastic art gallery on Mosely Street
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Visit coronation street. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester Art Gallery, Mosley Street is worth a visit. Also as above, the MOSI is worth an hour.

The only notable reptile store I can think of is just outside the center in Urmston - Urmston Aquatics.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I think jeremy kyle films there so if you're looking for animals just turn up around 9:30 they'll all be queuing up outside
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In addition to the galleries and museums already mentioned...

Imperial War Museum - Manchester http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/museums/war-mus-a.jpg

Manchester Art Galleries

http://www.thelowry.com/

http://www.whitworth.manchester.ac.uk/whatson/exhibitions/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187069-Activities-c5-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

4 hours isn't enough time, but there should be something you can find to do if only sitting outside one of the pubs at The Shambles
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    There is also Whitworth Art Gallery http://www.whitworth.manchester.ac.uk/ which is near the Curry Mile and The Manchester Museum http://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/ both on Oxford Road, there are loads of buses you can get from Piccadilly Gardens that go that way and the museum has a Vivarium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big thanks to everyone !!
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    If you want to go to the science and industry museum and peoples history museum jump on a no2 metroshuttle bus near victoria (its free) they go that way.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go with the napalm...

:eek: :D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to Manchester twice this weekend.

1hr20 on Friday, 55 minutes today.

Coach station - Yates - Coach station both times
    Probably been there more than a large percentage of Man U fans :p
  • spookedspooked Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right...forget all that previous bollocks and listen to an expert.

Hmmmm... Let's see.

1. Get a bus from Victoria Station headed for Altrincham.

2. Get off at Old Trafford (only 10 minute ride) and visit the Manchester United museum at Old Trafford. With a ground tour that will use up your first two hours.

3. Get a bus back into the city and get off at Piccadilly Bus Station

4. You are only a 5 minute walk to Sackville Street, have a beer in "Paddys Goose" and get your rocks off for about a tenner. (male or female.)

5. You've got an hour and a half left so walk to Shambles Square (which is about a 7 minute walk,and half way to Victoria Station...and have a few beers in the pubs there.

6. Mission accomplished.