Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    In the last month or so, someone (ConnieJ?) posted a link to an interview with MC, which I guess was part of the Town promos.

In one part of it he talked about people getting married and splitting "left right and center" and having children "left right and center" -- "poor things."

Does anyone remember this link? I"m wondering if it was in the Nuneaton paper, which link I cannot now get to open.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/martin-clunes-im-too-weird-looking-1485393
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "We've determined that Doc Martin should never become a soap, so in Series 6 we'll be shaking it up a bit and there'll be some big changes. But I can't guarantee that Doc Martin will suddenly find his romantic side. People tell me they've been known to yell at the TV, 'Say something nice to her!' But that wouldn't be Doc Martin, would it?"

Saddest moment? "Losing my Cocker Spaniel, Mary. She was knocked down on the road near our farm - I was devastated."

Regarding his battle of the bulge, "I didn't have a midlife crisis, just a midriff one!"

August 2004: "I met Phillipa and it (my world) seemed to change almost overnight. She's a tyrant and I'm a man who needs clear instructions."

"Yes, I just want to do something else as well. That's why I'm going to all these auditions. I want to go back to supporting and not having the whole thing on my shoulders, playing the title role. Because I'm basically a character actor who got lucky, you know? And I'm sort of preparing for the twilight of my career."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the call biff pup wondered why MC is so approachable unlike American stars. But it was lost in the discussion.

Do you think the public and paparazzi create monsters like Tom Cruise or are they born arrogant?

Do you think the reticent British public allow their stars to be private when they want to be? Or is it because there are 62 million British and 311 million Americans so there isn't the sheer number of public chasing the stars.

Or is it because MC isn't chasing the almighty dollar but simply a support system for his lifestyle? Therefore he doesn't see himself as above everyone else?

Or is MC simply a nice guy?
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    On the call biff pup wondered why MC is so approachable unlike American stars. But it was lost in the discussion.

Do you think the public and paparazzi create monsters like Tom Cruise or are they born arrogant?

Do you think the reticent British public allow their stars to be private when they want to be? Or is it because there are 62 million British and 311 million Americans so there isn't the sheer number of public chasing the stars.

Or is it because MC isn't chasing the almighty dollar but simply a support system for his lifestyle? Therefore he doesn't see himself as above everyone else?

I think it's mainly because there are 311 million people here and about half of them are loony tunes. Present company excluded. I don't think all the famous American stars are arrogant jerks, they just need to keep the crazies away. But I am a little fed up with my country right now and a little leery of the crazies myself, so my opinion is a bit skewed these days.:confused:
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

Thanks Connie -- just what I was looking for. Happy New Year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

dcdmfan wrote: »
    I think it's mainly because there are 311 million people here and about half of them are loony tunes. Present company excluded. I don't think all the famous American stars are arrogant jerks, they just need to keep the crazies away. But I am a little fed up with my country right now and a little leery of the crazies myself, so my opinion is a bit skewed these days.:confused:

Really interesting question. Really oversimplifying, but I wonder if it's related to the circumstance that England has actors, who are respected for their craft, and trained for it -- lots coming out of the theatre -- whereas here we have stars, people who are valued for their celebrity rather than for what they actually do.

In the U.S., I think an actor like Philip Seymour Hoffman or John Goodman is closer to Martin Clunes than Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. And Hoffman and Goodman are not exactly lionized here, although respected. (But they are not very charismatic, either.) Still, you really don't see them out and around and mingling with their fans and that may have partly to do with what DCMCFAn mentioned --

Although I once was in the same small town as John Travolta and in fact in the same bookstore, and although he was quite well-known then as now, no one actually came up to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really interesting question. Really oversimplifying, but I wonder if it's related to the circumstance that England has actors, who are respected for their craft, and trained for it -- lots coming out of the theatre -- whereas here we have stars, people who are valued for their celebrity rather than for what they actually do.

In the U.S., I think an actor like Philip Seymour Hoffman or John Goodman is closer to Martin Clunes than Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. And Hoffman and Goodman are not exactly lionized here, although respected. (But they are not very charismatic, either.) Still, you really don't see them out and around and mingling with their fans and that may have partly to do with what DCMCFAn mentioned --

Although I once was in the same small town as John Travolta and in fact in the same bookstore, and although he was quite well-known then as now, no one actually came up to him.

It could have to do with the circumstances even here. A friend was visiting Cincinnati two or three years ago and was in an ice cream shop. He got in line behind a man, woman, and small child in a stroller. The man placed their order and stepped aside to wait. As he turned he spoke to my friend, a simple, "Hi, how are you", kind of thing. After placing his order, my friend also stepped to the side to wait. He and the man had a short but friendly conversation about Cincinnati while waiting, talking about how to get here or there, that kind of thing. Guess who this was. Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, and their little girl. I guess my point is that even celebrities we think of as unapproachable can be quite friendly when not being hounded by paparazzi, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "We've determined that Doc Martin should never become a soap, so in Series 6 we'll be shaking it up a bit and there'll be some big changes. But I can't guarantee that Doc Martin will suddenly find his romantic side. People tell me they've been known to yell at the TV, 'Say something nice to her!' But that wouldn't be Doc Martin, would it?"

Saddest moment? "Losing my Cocker Spaniel, Mary. She was knocked down on the road near our farm - I was devastated."

Regarding his battle of the bulge, "I didn't have a midlife crisis, just a midriff one!"

August 2004: "I met Phillipa and it (my world) seemed to change almost overnight. She's a tyrant and I'm a man who needs clear instructions."

"Yes, I just want to do something else as well. That's why I'm going to all these auditions. I want to go back to supporting and not having the whole thing on my shoulders, playing the title role. Because I'm basically a character actor who got lucky, you know? And I'm sort of preparing for the twilight of my career."

We know that MC has said DM and LG will marry in S6 (whew, finally), but I wish I knew more about the "shaking it up" and "some big changes." Is he referring to the changes inherent in their finally marrying? Can anyone offer speculation on what else might change? I'm a little worried about this comment.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Referring to the post above, not NewPark's, Tom Cruise was just chosen as one of the nicest A-List folks in Hollywood in this article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-gallagher/nicest-celebrities-the-11-nicest-post-50-a-list-actors-in-hollywood_b_2381195.html

It is likely that our gun culture, complete with the whackjobs who use them on innocents, nearly everyday at this point in time, is a concern for "stars", but also for politicians and now the rest of us in our country. Britain being handgun free and very limited in other firearms carried by regular people can be free of that one main fear of a violent attack by a gun-wielding crazy person.

I remember the first time I went to England, while I was in London it was reported there was a very angry man on the roof of his home who had been throwing shingles at the police. Throwing shingles! In America, he would have had a semi-automatic rifle and sprayed the street with bullets, killing G-d knows whom.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would compare DM to Jeff Daniels who lives here in Michigan (actually not far from New Park :D). He is an excellent actor who has never gone Hollywood and is well respected in this state. He goes to Red Wings and Tigers games all the time and seems to be able to live a pretty normal life. He also lives out in the country near the small town where he was raised - although I don't think he has the menagerie that the Clunes have accumulated. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I would compare DM to Jeff Daniels who lives here in Michigan (actually not far from New Park :D). He is an excellent actor who has never gone Hollywood and is well respected in this state. He goes to Red Wings and Tigers games all the time and seems to be able to live a pretty normal life. He also lives out in the country near the small town where he was raised - although I don't think he has the menagerie that the Clunes have accumulated. :eek:

VERY good comparison, Shop Girl! And he deliberately left Hollywood and moved back to Chelsea so his family could have a more normal life. They do sound similar.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

Oops! That should be MC rather than DM. I sometimes confuse the two! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the most wonderful dream last night - with Martin Clunes! Somehow I was part of MC group, and we all climbed into a car. I got into the backseat, and Martin (I feel like we're on a first name basis now) got into the front seat. For some reason he reached his hand around to the backseat, and touched my leg! :eek: He touched my leg! :D. I'm never, ever, going to wash my leg again. :):p:D
    Btw, I'm so glad I had shaved my legs. ;)
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Referring to the post above, not NewPark's, Tom Cruise was just chosen as one of the nicest A-List folks in Hollywood in this article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pat-gallagher/nicest-celebrities-the-11-nicest-post-50-a-list-actors-in-hollywood_b_2381195.html

It is likely that our gun culture, complete with the whackjobs who use them on innocents, nearly everyday at this point in time, is a concern for "stars", but also for politicians and now the rest of us in our country. Britain being handgun free and very limited in other firearms carried by regular people can be free of that one main fear of a violent attack by a gun-wielding crazy person.

I remember the first time I went to England, while I was in London it was reported there was a very angry man on the roof of his home who had been throwing shingles at the police. Throwing shingles! In America, he would have had a semi-automatic rifle and sprayed the street with bullets, killing G-d knows whom.

A little harsh I think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Google Maps has a new feature allowing to "drive" from place to place with street view.

Here's your chance to tour Port Isaac on the cheap.

http://www.brianfolts.com/driver/#start=4%20roscarrock%20hill%2C%20port%20isaac&end=11%20fore%20street%20port%20isaac
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    A little harsh I think

Not sure my comments can be considered "harsh" after what's happened in Connecticutt not two weeks ago and all the other gun violence in American in 2012. It's helpful to write more to express your thoughts, Lemster, so folks can understand your point of view better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biff and I rewatched the S5 finale again and had some new thoughts about it, even though we've both seen it a bunch of times before. Good TV just constantly stimulates one's mind.

First, we both shared out sympathy with Clive Tishell. This is a very good, decent, affectionate man and Mrs. T simply can't stand him; she obviously doesn't love him. We then realized that it's very bad to be a man looking for love in Port Wenn:
    1. Clive Tishell has learned his wife has an unrequited love for another man, and doesn't thus care for him.
    2. Bert is still loveless.
    3. Al has lost Pauline
    4. The season three dry cleaner had a nasty divorce
    5. Penhale re-lost his wife he still loves (but at least that enabled him to get over his fear of heights, nonetheless he immediately gets iritis, a serious eye condition, perhaps from the stress).
    6. Mark Mylow--need we say more?

Poor guys! And here DM comes, an outsider and he wins over LG. She has a few problems, true and he has nearly endless problems, but still they find love when so many others don't.

Also, we discussed the interesting interaction of LG and DM as they stood together after Mrs. T was taken away with Penhale and AR, and they were alone. The camera shots are interesting with DM towering over her. We realized that in that brief interaction LG is acting more like a child, insecure, looking down a lot, and asking for him to say he loves her over and over. That goes way back to LG's main issue, which her mother referred to earlier, that LG was going to be abandoned with her mom and DM leaving. And, we've discussed on this list that LG has, perhaps, a deep abandonment issue, which is understandable given her childhood.

In this scene she is like a child finally being convinced she is not going to be abandoned by someone she loves.

DM, meanwhile, towering over her, strong, solid, steady in this scene is the Man who always wanted to have a family to take care of. Here he is being that strong, towering male figure, ready to take care of LG, and love her, and their baby. The camera work really magnifies that.

So, both of them in that scene are shown to be finally getting the dreams they both needed since childhood--LG the love that won't abandon her, and DM, the wife and child he always wanted to care for.

Very cool!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The camera shots are interesting with DM towering over her.

DM, meanwhile, towering over her, strong, solid, steady in this scene is the Man who always wanted to have a family to take care of. Here he is being that strong, towering male figure, ready to take care of LG, and love her, and their baby. The camera work really magnifies that.
    Very cool!

Isn't it amazing how the direction on Doc Martin is in tune with the writing? It's because they've all worked together from the beginning. :cool::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched City Slickers.

Clearly, no one on that show knows anything about us elderly people. Mrs. Averill looks 85, maybe 90 -- certainly not 75! That's just preposterous.

Love the scene where DM stops by the school to tell Louisa about the possibility of TB and she says you could have just called me -- I think he actually smiles a little but it goes out of frame so quickly I can't tell. He does seem a bit flirtatious at that moment, as does she. Very cute.

Anthony Oakwood is even more obnoxious than I remembered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure my comments can be considered "harsh" after what's happened in Connecticutt not two weeks ago and all the other gun violence in American in 2012. It's helpful to write more to express your thoughts, Lemster, so folks can understand your point of view better.

I don't think this forum is for a back and forth on this subject. Let's keep it to something we agree on which is the enjoyment we derive from DM
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, we discussed the interesting interaction of LG and DM as they stood together after Mrs. T was taken away with Penhale and AR, and they were alone. The camera shots are interesting with DM towering over her. We realized that in that brief interaction LG is acting more like a child, insecure, looking down a lot, and asking for him to say he loves her over and over. That goes way back to LG's main issue, which her mother referred to earlier, that LG was going to be abandoned with her mom and DM leaving. And, we've discussed on this list that LG has, perhaps, a deep abandonment issue, which is understandable given her childhood.

In this scene she is like a child finally being convinced she is not going to be abandoned by someone she loves.

So, both of them in that scene are shown to be finally getting the dreams they both needed since childhood--LG the love that won't abandon her, and DM, the wife and child he always wanted to care for.

Very cool!

I have become very cautious as to what the end of S5E7 will lead us to believe that it will continue to S6E1. Isn't that Chief of Vascular position in London still looming for DM? Will he toss that aside in favor of staying in Portwenn? LG didn't want to marry the doc when returning to PW in S4 end of E1 six months pregnant. How will he convince her to change her mind and marry him in S6 as MC has implied in interviews? It will take a very strong script for that first episode for DM to deliver in S6, I would imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I have become very cautious as to what the end of S5E7 will lead us to believe that it will continue to S6E1. Isn't that Chief of Vascular position in London still looming for DM? Will he toss that aside in favor of staying in Portwenn? LG didn't want to marry the doc when returning to PW in S4 end of E1 six months pregnant. How will he convince her to change her mind and marry him in S6 as MC has implied in interviews? It will take a very strong script for that first episode for DM to deliver in S6, I would imagine.

And we're back to square one. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    It could have to do with the circumstances even here. A friend was visiting Cincinnati two or three years ago and was in an ice cream shop. He got in line behind a man, woman, and small child in a stroller. The man placed their order and stepped aside to wait. As he turned he spoke to my friend, a simple, "Hi, how are you", kind of thing. After placing his order, my friend also stepped to the side to wait. He and the man had a short but friendly conversation about Cincinnati while waiting, talking about how to get here or there, that kind of thing. Guess who this was. Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, and their little girl. I guess my point is that even celebrities we think of as unapproachable can be quite friendly when not being hounded by paparazzi, etc.

That's a very good point. I think all the stars get fed up of the press from time to time, which is not surprising if half of the stories you hear are true.
    The few stars I've met and spoken to have all been very friendly and relaxed but whether that has anything to do with being in the UK or is just because I have a friendly open face, I don't know.
    I do know that our laws on stalking are better than yours, because stalking is a specific, defined offence over here which can lead to jail time. This might make stars feel a bit more relaxed.
    I guess MC does have the protection of being a big bloke so could probably deal with an over-keen fan easily enough. Also, the crew are all around and may watch the fans quite closely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year to You All on the Forum !

My Thanks to All of You who remembered our little Millie in your prayers and good wishes

Despite the devastating news we received before the holidays, Millie has spent Christmas at home and made some tiny breakthroughs - eating some regular foods, playing ' games ' with the family and even saying ' Hello ' yesterday.

Onward and upward Team Millie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »

I certainly think S6 will not be smooth sailing. That would be contrary to the whole general trend of the series, plus we have MC's comment that the love story has "disaster written all over it" and I believe him, because he also predicted that although they would be together in S5, it wouldn't be happily. Also he said that big changes were planned, and that makes me suspicious also.

But, I think the looming chief of vascular surgery can be made to go away rather easily --- the sub from Durban, having been there for two months, might be easily persuaded to stay and Imperial could let DM out of the contract. And while LG did say she didn't want to get married, I don't think she really knew at that point what she wanted, but by the end of S4, thanks to the stimulus of jealousy of Edith and other things, she was more than ready to be in a relationship with DM, whether or not actually married.

Indeed, I think a large part of the problem between them in S5 was that neither was willing to be the first one to acknowledge that they wanted to reconsider their decision to NOT get married at end of S3 (which really was just a few months away, in Portwenn time).

I continue to feel that DM's declaration at the end of S5 was qualitatively different than his drunken confession in S2, or his frantic declaration at end of S4. So that gives me some hope that they will seriously try to make a go of it, having acknowledged their feelings for each other.
This discussion has been closed.