Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 14: The Name Of The Doctor 18/05/2013 BBC1 7:00PM

Comments

• owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Loved it! Confusing as heck, as it always is with Moffat, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

"Excellent" from me.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Was going to vote excellent until near the the end

Now this is just gut reaction, but incredibly unhappy with the ending...not the actual ending...but the lack of an ending on some many things.

Another 'spoilers' from River.

So, the mystery of Clara is not resolved at all.

The whole thing makes no sense with the Trenzalore we've been told about - we haven't seen that one yet, presumably now that will be the anniversary.

So, just wait another another six months for answers we were promised or reasonably expected tonight.

Another non-delivery from Moffat - this wasn't a finale, it was a mid series cliffhanger - and a fantastic one at that.

Mind you this hasn't been a series for me.

Will watch again before voting (probably immediately as there was so much incredible stuff).

Harrumph!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Avidian wrote: »
    That's what I thought...he's...Zero :D:o
    not 0 but 9999999999999999999999999
  • Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachymac wrote: »
    It opened the door, meaning that the Doctor's friends didn't get killed, but it didn't actually get said out loud that anyone else would hear so it's still a secret.

I wonder did Clara hear it? Given that she's the one River was connected to....

We never did get to see / hear what she read in that 'Journey' library book either...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No he's not he's not even the 12th Doctor from that scene I get the feeling he is in fact a past Doctor one we didn't know about one who did something so bad The Doctor had to lock him away and maybe even erase the memory of him so even he didn't know about him.

Seems that he was involved in the Time War, so could very well be The Doctor between Paul Mcgann and Chris Ecclestone.

If he is a genuine bona fide Doctor then when we see all the faces of previous Doctors in promotional blurb he'll probably have his picture up there amongst them like Paul McGann does if he's going to do a full episode or two.

May even get fan fiction or Big Finish stories about him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    No one has guessed that he may be what came before any of the reincarnations where he chose the name "Doctor". Or that maybe the line we believe it followed is wrong. It has never stated in the show that Matt is the eleventh.

The prophecy also mentioned the fall of the eleventh, and it turned out to be where the doctor finally died, which would mean his 13th reincarnation. So Matt could potentially be a different number. Plus it has never been said that the time lords follow the line 1-13 rather than jumble it up.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    We've had 3 young Doctor's. Its time to have an older one with more gravitas. John Hurt is a ****ing EXCELLENT actor and Doctor.

Agreed. It seemed to me that the Doctor was getting younger and younger, and just to appeal to female viewers.

I am old enough to remember the furore when Tom Baker became The Doctor. People were grizzling that he was 'too young' and 'looked like a student, with his long hair.'

Now, all these years later we get people complaining that John Hurt (despite his incredible acting credentials) is 'too old.'

I personally don't think the Doctor should be cast as 'eye candy' only. It's a real coup to get John Hurt, and viewers should be grateful, and not annoyed that he isn't a pretty boy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    An utterly outstanding episode!

But who blew up the TARDIS?! :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Even if John Hurt is not the Valeyard, and he's the Ninth Doctor, that would make Matt the Twelfth, and Matt can't really stick around for much longer than another series, so we're bound to see the Valeyard soon either way. Although, If Matt is the Twelfth, why did his door in the God Complex say 11?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I voted excellent. It makes sense that the Time War Doctor who committed double genocide would be seen as going against what the Doctor usually stands for.

Series one to four seemed to think that the Time Lord Doctor was fine for a adolescent mouth breather to fall in luv with. Unless there was something else in his past we don't know about and he's from earlier...

Also, I felt a bit sorry for BadDoctor - if he is Time Lord Doctor, weren't the Time Lords going mad? What else did he do that makes the Doctors who follow him turn their back. Actually, Ten was a major hypocrite with the Doctor/human who took out the Daleks and dumped him with that tween, so why am I surprised?
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he's not he's not even the 12th Doctor from that scene I get the feeling he is in fact a past Doctor one we didn't know about one who did something so bad The Doctor had to lock him away and maybe even erase the memory of him so even he didn't know about him.

Agree with this...

AHA! B/F just said something very interesting.

We are assuming Paul McGann regenerated into Chris Eccleston... Maybe, just maybe it went from Paul McGann to John Hurt (Paul McGanns char in Big Finish has a leather jacket as part of the dark eyes run.) and he did something so very terrible that John Hurts version got wiped or locked away for what he did.

ALSO gets round Chris Eccleston NOT doing any other appearance SO they could get round this by doing the regeneration scene for the 8th Doctor...
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    vampirek wrote: »
    Well this confirms John Hurt is not the 12th Doctor, how would the 11th know about his 12th and what he has done to not be given The Doctor name.

Could it be The Valeyard, which would be the easiest route to go down. Subject to the anger caused in the time war the 8th regenerated into The Valeyard and then into the 9th.

Or is John Hurt THE Doctor, and the 1st Doctor stole his name believing THE Doctor wasn't worthy of it.

I think its going to be a Jack Harkness moment, Hurt was the Doctor and 1 stole his name when he nicked the TARDIS. perhaps he thought he was dead all this time?
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Predictable that this was voted excellent by so many. It was good but not the best Who I have ever seen. As guessed by so many on here the Doctors name was not revealed What was goos was the way they managed to get so many past Doctors, particualaly the first Doctor, into the story. I loved the way Clara told No 1 which Tardis to steal. But when you think about it, not a lot actually happend tonight. The so called realy scary baddies were nothing of the sort, most of the episode seemed to consist of repeats of Clara doing the same thing over and over again. Is that the last or River probably but I hope not. No sorry but for me this was yet another piece of vastly overhyped Maffatism. 8/10
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Hurt was the internal Doctor; the soul of the Doctor who had grown up from a baby and had always been linked to the Doctor's real name rather than the deeds which were carried out by The Doctor...if that makes sense!
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed that! I also appreciate Clara a lot more, at last, and I think I'll look back on season seven as a whole with more respect than I otherwise would have.

I am more excited about the 50th than I was too, although I'm still keeping my expectations realistic.

But this episode on its own merits is an example of Doctor Who at its finest. Have to give credit to Moffat where it's due and I didn't think I'd be saying that!
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an incarnation, not a doctor. The doctor is the title he gave himself, so John Hart is the Galifreyan who either did something very bad and then became the first "Doctor", or he came after McGann and ended the Time War, under his real name, before regenerating into the Ninth "Doctor".

So the terms incarnation and Doctors are two different things basically.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a mixed bag of an episode. Like the Series 6 finale, it was full of brilliant and wonderful ideas, but none of them felt sufficiently fleshed out.

I want to admit that some of that was brilliant. But as a complete episode, I feel somewhat disappointed, and why? The pacing, of course. As with nearly every episode of Series 7, this just felt a bit hollow and rushed.

Well technically we are only half-way through the story as it hasn't been resolved and won't be until November. Some of the fleshing out will come then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Wow that was actually mindblowing!!
    I can't get my head around this other Doctor... but I am thinking now that since the Eleventh Doctor said the name was a promise that Hurt's Doctor broke this promise so was not allowed to be called 'The Doctor' anymore, if he didn't break the promise he would of been the 9th but since he did his number is just assigned to the next one...

That made more sense in my head!! :S
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Finally an episode that I loved and one that I could believe. I love River so it was good to have her back and I'm intrigued to know what part John Hurt is going to play. I wish CE had said that he would be part of the 50th but that's not to be. Now we have to wait a long time. November fandoms are going to expload as my 3 faves return.
    SUPERWHOLOCK awaits.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    neutralned wrote: »
    An utterly outstanding episode!

But who blew up the TARDIS?! :-)

moffat did
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Going by what Doctor Hurt said at the end, he was The Doctor who ended the Time War, and, this is confusing, he purposely "forgot" that incarnation in an attempt to rid himself of the guilt.

That's my take on it anyway.

But the Doctor does know what he did in the Time War. Maybe tho, know you did *something* and it was bad and knowing exactly how bad it is, is the difference.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been highly critical of this series, but this was a classic episode. Mind = blown

We need episodes like this every week.

This is the first excellent I've voted in an extremely long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another post to say how utterly amazing that was. So glad I didn't spoil it for myself in advance.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent episodes but where was Doctor Who changed forever?

Did I miss something?
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a brilliant episode