Grange Hill

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watching the first 4 series on DVD and I live watching tucker and co on it, wish they would release more so I can see Roland and Susan Tully on them.

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    wish they would release more so I can see Roland and Susan Tully on them.

I've not looked, but they're likely on YouTube. Most things seem to be, nowadays.

The 'Hill' was certainly ground-breaking. I remember when it started, I was still a couple of years off from secondary school. It wasn't the traditional nice gentle kids' fare, but dared to deal with gritty adolescent issues, like bullying and racism.

If I recall rightly, didn't the black character, Benny, have some sort of nickname like 'Golly'? Imagine the kerfuffle that would cause today!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I recall rightly, didn't the black character, Benny, have some sort of nickname like 'Golly'? Imagine the kerfuffle that would cause today!

To be fair, it was mainly Michael Doyle who called him that, and he wasn't meant to be likeable.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    I think they should give it a daytime repeat run on CBBC.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gonch, Georgina, Ronnie, Trevor etc years were the best, loved them.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I remember about grange hill is that when I watched it in the 80's when at secondary school, it really was realistic and very much loosely like the school I was in at the time so I could totally relate to it an many of the characters, they did repeat the whole lot on early Saturday or Sunday mornings on BBC during the late 1990's
    Would love to see them again..
    Remember .... 'Just say No!'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    My secondary school was called the Grange

There were some ace storylines

Zammo n the smack,Robbie n the firm

I loved the show
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,184
    Forum Member
    I've not looked, but they're likely on YouTube. Most things seem to be, nowadays.

The 'Hill' was certainly ground-breaking. I remember when it started, I was still a couple of years off from secondary school. It wasn't the traditional nice gentle kids' fare, but dared to deal with gritty adolescent issues, like bullying and racism.

Their not they were but then they got removed due to copyright. It sucked as I was watching them from the start think I was on series 9 when it got removed.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got all the series plus 4 specials and Tuckers Luck.
    You can buy them off sellers on certain sites..;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Which sites are these available on? I have been looking for ages for series 5 onwards of Grange Hill and would love to see Tucker's Luck again. Thank you.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which sites are these available on? I have been looking for ages for series 5 onwards of Grange Hill and would love to see Tucker's Luck again. Thank you.

Most are on Youtube I have put series 12 on Youtube someone has put most years on there but they tend to get removed if you don't split the episodes into two parts so watch quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

will see if i can remember it:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Check your PM:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Just watching the first 4 series on DVD and I live watching tucker and co on it, wish they would release more so I can see Roland and Susan Tully on them.

You can buy off air copies on ioffer. But Ive no idea why they havet released the entire series by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy off air copies on ioffer. But Ive no idea why they havet released the entire series by now.

Wont it cost them too much in royalties
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the Bring back Grange Hill episode JLC hosted. Well didnt like that selfish sod who refused to appear on camera because he felt embarrassed doing the show.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the Bring back Grange Hill episode JLC hosted. Well didnt like that selfish sod who refused to appear on camera because he felt embarrassed doing the show.

Yes, he seemed a bit up himself. Big contrast with Lee MacDonald especially who seems such a cheerful friendly guy and loves to chat about the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I've really been getting into this programme again - remember it from the mid 80s onwards, but since it's been on YT, have been watching the early eps I hadn't ever seen.

Well... am in the middle of Series 5 at the mo, but it's suddenly been taken off YouTube! :(

Does anyone have any idea where series 5 onwards can be seen now? I'd buy a DVD but they only have 1-4 which I've seen now already. It's very frustrating. Last ep I saw, Annette Firman hid that American girl's expensive clarinet, to give you an idea where I am in the series.

I miss lines like "Who hasn't done their homework? four of you... Why not? Don't bother to answer, Stebson, you never do it... " :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member

Which one refused?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got Series 3 and 4 on DVD, with Tucker, Alan, and Pogo Patterson :D

Also found series 13 (i think it was), that had Gonch and them :D
  • Kris77Kris77 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I loved this growing up. I have series 1-4 on DVD, I was born in 1977 so I never saw those ones first time round. I also managed to watch Tuckers Luck on a website that I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, it was eventually pulled anyway. I have also read Phil Redmonds autobiography all about the creation of it
    Forum Member
    Kris77 wrote: »
    I loved this growing up. I have series 1-4 on DVD, I was born in 1977 so I never saw those ones first time round. I also managed to watch Tuckers Luck on a website that I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, it was eventually pulled anyway. I have also read Phil Redmonds autobiography all about the creation of it

Mid Term Report, yeah, that's a great book. :cool:

Still no luck in tracking down Series 5 onwards. :(
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really been getting into this programme again - remember it from the mid 80s onwards, but since it's been on YT, have been watching the early eps I hadn't ever seen.

Well... am in the middle of Series 5 at the mo, but it's suddenly been taken off YouTube! :(

Does anyone have any idea where series 5 onwards can be seen now? I'd buy a DVD but they only have 1-4 which I've seen now already. It's very frustrating. Last ep I saw, Annette Firman hid that American girl's expensive clarinet, to give you an idea where I am in the series.

I miss lines like "Who hasn't done their homework? four of you... Why not? Don't bother to answer, Stebson, you never do it... " :D

The BBC remove most of their shows from Youtube I have put 1989 series on in 10 minute segments which has stayed on but I know someone put most of the series on in full episodes and they soon got removed.
    Forum Member
    Further research led me to a site called 'Do You Remember?', where I learned that the DVD releases of Series 1-4 sold way below expectations, making releases of series 5 onwards not viable.

I have a theory on DVD releases though... I, like many others, would be unwilling to buy DVDs of programmes that I'd like to see again because of the space they take up in the house. If I'd bought everything on DVD that I've watched on YouTube and other sites over the past year, I'd be wading in the stuff. A lot of the programmes are things you'd want to watch once or twice anyway. So unless it's classic films or concerts, most DVD releases are on a hiding to nothing.

An online subscription service for streaming of old programmes would, I think, be far more popular. I bet BBC would be surprised how many would want to watch GH this way if it were available.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which one refused?

Cant remember the guys name, but i remember JLC searched for him, and found him in an office, and the guy was really guiite blushy, ill agree to chat but not with the cameras there.

I think his reasoning, had something to do with the Just Say No campaign, and the time they went to the White House and had to say a pledge saying that they had all been squeaky clean during the lives, while in real life, i think a few possibly this guy had dibbled
    Forum Member
    Cant remember the guys name, but i remember JLC searched for him, and found him in an office, and the guy was really guiite blushy, ill agree to chat but not with the cameras there.

I think his reasoning, had something to do with the Just Say No campaign, and the time they went to the White House and had to say a pledge saying that they had all been squeaky clean during the lives, while in real life, i think a few possibly this guy had dibbled

Not a very 'christian' pledge that is it? Jesus is supposed to love 'sinners who repent'!