Options

If you were rich...

welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
Forum Member
Would you be there as a backup for your children at all times, or would you have them make their own way in life like you did?

Comments

• Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I put them in a private school, chances are things will turn out ok anyway.
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would pay for a good education for them. Maybe a small helping hand moneywise, but I wouldn't give them huge amounts of money.
    They need to find the value of things. Working, saving and sometimes going without will be good for them.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No financial back up for me, until I'd made my own way, which is the model I'll follow with my own kids.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would buy better children.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any children, nor am I likely to have any in the future as I am beyond the menopause so this is irrelevant to me.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would back them up. If I were a successful business owner I would give them a job with the intention of them taking over. If I held a high powered job in a large organisation and had influential contacts, I'd get then a job. If I won the lotto, I'd buy them a house.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd provide for them as much as I possibly can.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Just as Sweh says really. I would help get them through uni and help them on to the property ladder. I would like them to forge their own careers as adults though! But I would help them get there.

Meh I might put the lottery on tomorrow now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I'd provide for them as much as I possibly can.

This doesn't always work. Alot of the lucky kids I grew up with were hugely under-motivated, as they knew they'd get the car, the allowance, the house all paid for. It kind of scr*wed them up being 'owned' that way, and none of them have achieved what their parents did, which is slightly ironic as it was all so well-meant.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Having seen how my cousin (aged 34) has become emasculated through being propped up by his (well off, if not rich) parents, I would likely not do the same with my children. My cousin does not own his own house, his car, his phone, even his clothes which his mum has to take him to the shop and buy for him. Everything was bought and is owned by his mum. Worse, he now has two children of his own, and doesn't even earn a bean to support them, relying on his mum to pay for nappies and stuff. Pathetic really.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    This doesn't always work. Alot of the lucky kids I grew up with were hugely under-motivated, as they knew they'd get the car, the allowance, the house all paid for. It kind of scr*wed them up being 'owned' that way, and none of them have achieved what their parents did, which is slightly ironic as it was all so well-meant.

You are very correct. I can understand that there's the potential for that to happen.

However, in my personal experience, my parents have given the best they can and I appreciate it immensely. I've honestly never felt as though I don't need to bother making an effort and my parents have done very well to instil values and the idea of work ethic in me. I can only hope that if or when I have children, they too would feel the same.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I put them in a private school, chances are things will turn out ok anyway.

Luck of the draw, actually.

Private School Sex Scandal
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McMahauld wrote: »
    Luck of the draw, actually.

Private School Sex Scandal

That risk I can deal with, Knives, Guns & Drugs is another thing.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`d buy them nice houses and have trust funds for my [now almost 11] grandchildren.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Yes I would back them up. If I were a successful business owner I would give them a job with the intention of them taking over. If I held a high powered job in a large organisation and had influential contacts, I'd get then a job. If I won the lotto, I'd buy them a house.

Same here, though they would have to appreciate it and still work hard if this doesn't happen with some rich kids that is down to parenting or lack thereof not instilling values.

I would love to have the money for my children to have a private education and would like not too have to worry about money, pay off the mortgage and have a few thousand as a buffer however I don't think I would like to be rich rich, that may sound strange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`d buy them nice houses and have trust funds for my [now almost 11] grandchildren.

Great, but don't tell them about the trust funds until they're in their late 20's....
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not helping them would be totally petty imo.

As long as it was used for education/training or starting a business, or buying a house - whyever not!?
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Would you be there as a backup for your children at all times, or would you have them make their own way in life like you did?

I'd leave money in trust for them to get in increments aged 18, 21 and then the majority of it at 25 when, hopefully, they'd have learned to stand on their own feet.
    That's the age my OH got the majority of his (not massive) trust fund and, in combination with an inheritance following the death of his mother, it meant he was able to buy the house we live in outright.
    However, I wouldn't leave them struggling or penniless either, if there was something they needed and I believed they'd made an effort to achieve it themselves as well, I'd probably get it.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd pack them off to school aged 4 and have them back once they had turned into human beings aged about 30....
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I would buy better children.
    This
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I'd pack them off to school aged 4 and have them back once they had turned into human beings aged about 30....

Followed by this.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I might do what Bill Gates is planning to do...except while I'm alive. Give them a kick-start in life but don't make money their everything and make them think it means nothing. Good education and get them through university (at Masters level). They'd have to work their way through an Honours degree, first, though.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would spend on their education and any extra things they developed an interest in, like, say piano lessons or language classes.

Growing up, they would have to 'earn' their pocket money/allowance with chores and I would encourage them to get a saturday job when they are old enough to supplement it. Again a lesson that if you want more you have to work for it.

I would assist in buying their first home, not pay for it outright, but povide a big enough deposit so they have a manageable mortgage - I think having to budget to pay a mortgage is a good life skill and to a certain extent a motivator to push ahead in ones career to earn more

When they are 'settled' as adults I would like to think I could close the wallet to a large extent, having given them the advantages of a good start. I would still come forward with help for the big things like weddings, and the emergencies that life throws up.

But after, hopefully doing all I can to give them a good start and, again, hopefully instilling a work ethic and the skills of budgeting, I have to admit I would not exactly be too forthcoming with cash if they started calling back before payday for a bit of cash to see them through.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I would send them to a private school and I would push them hard to make their own name, but I'd make it clear that, once out of university, they need to carve out their own way in life.