Options

Iceland: Life In The Freezer Cabinet - BBC2

SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
Forum Member
On at 9pm, anyone watching? From RT:
New series. Documentary following the changing fortunes of frozen-food supermarket chain Iceland, featuring contributions by CEO Malcolm Walker. The first edition reveals how the company's top-performing branches compete over the busy Christmas period for a cash prize, follows the work of buying staff as they search for new products to add to the freezers, and reveals the impact of the horsemeat scandal on profits.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh hell no
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh it clashes with 999 What's Your Emergency.

But I think I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on those factories they make ready meals in. I'd give up ready meals if it mean people not having to work in them.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol this is the guy (malcolm) that says he would never eat anything from Iceland and he owns it :D
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are the BBC doing a "Promo" for a food retailer?

What's next,
    "What you can make with the left-over bits from your Ikea wardrobe?"
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lasted six minutes.

I'm off to get outraged by shoplifters on Channel 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prawn ring made an appearance.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Employed for their charms. Sorry, staff looking like the Cheshire cat on acid doesn't make me want to shop there.
  • Options
    yosemitesamyosemitesam Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol this is the guy (malcolm) that says he would never eat anything from Iceland and he owns it :D

Is he related to Mark who managed the Grosvenor hotel in Torquay - think the programme was called The Hotel.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable! BBC2 - no money received from advertising revenue - happily give a 'free' 3 hour ad slot to a retailer. Anyone remember years ago when they did the same for Tesco? They were supposed to have open access to Tesco and show what they wanted. At the time of filming a supplier of Tesco was caught bleaching chicken to cover the fact it was well past fit for consumption and then sent it back in their stores. Tesco completely managed the final edits and made sure they looked in a good light.

I guess Iceland are using this to try and repair the damage caused by their numpty chief during the horse meat saga, making oddly racist comments about the Irish and coming over as a complete tool. And the licence fee pays for this propoganda. Enjoy!
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite interesting for me as I did Food Science donkeys years ago at uni. I don't buy ready meals though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he related to Mark who managed the Grosvenor hotel in Torquay - think the programme was called The Hotel.

haha yeah I've seen The Hotel before you never know maybe there brothers :p
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw an advert for it and it just featured a load of "quirky" people being "wacky" so I've given the show a miss. Was I right to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As if the cleaners really clean in that outfit :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So they complain about Tesco copying them, yet they seem to getting a lot of their own 'new' ideas from M&S and Waitrose..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Saw an advert for it and it just featured a load of "quirky" people being "wacky" so I've given the show a miss. Was I right to?

Well, you've missed the prawns in rice crispies:eek:

Our Iceland, which I do shop in for veg and ice creams, definately mis-read the memo about employing staff with a personality:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all knew that one about why Santa wears red !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Was that Jodie Prenger?
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I'm loving this 😊
    Bless the money winners
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    I guess Iceland are using this to try and repair the damage caused by their numpty chief during the horse meat saga, making oddly racist comments about the Irish and coming over as a complete tool. And the licence fee pays for this propoganda. Enjoy!

Racist, my arse. He was referring to Irish horsemeat DNA testing. Far from being 'a complete tool', he's become a multi-millionaire, starting from nothing, in a fiercely competitive business sector.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'We love horses, they were in the Olympics'. Proof as to why you should never let the public talk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Walker badly underestimated the impact of the horsemeat scandal there. Far from being a flash in the pan, it ran for months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    'We love horses, they were in the Olympics'. Proof as to why you should never let the public talk.

Yes and the daft cow goes rabbiting on about how she loves all animals. So why is she buying burgers in the first place, then?
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »

Lol that was....

Open University?
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I didn't like some of those managers in head office. Looked a bit too self righteous.