Is the school Skirt dead ?

Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
Forum Member
I noticed while doing a lot of traveling the past week, that all the groups of secondary school girls I saw were wearing trousers as part of their uniform. I'm happy that schools have entered the 21st Century by not forcing girls to wear skirts but to be honest I think school uniforms should be abolished, If mainland europe can get by without school uniforms, why can't this country ?

Comments

• Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather is kinda cold.
  • Janey BJaney B Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    The girls are still wearing skirts here and woolly tights because of the cold.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    They can wear whichever they wish, round here. Black tights and skirts too.

Haven't seen many boys wearing them though, so for them, the thread title may be correct...
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    They still wear skirts where I am, if that's what you can call them as they are barely long enough to cover their backside.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 2 girls schools here and at both schools the girls wear skirts and at one its compulsory.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    They still wear skirts where I am, if that's what you can call them as they are barely long enough to cover their backside.

Same here!
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember those days, I used to roll it over at the top at least 5 times :eek:
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed while doing a lot of traveling the past week, that all the groups of secondary school girls I saw were wearing trousers as part of their uniform. I'm happy that schools have entered the 21st Century by not forcing girls to wear skirts but to be honest I think school uniforms should be abolished, If mainland europe can get by without school uniforms, why can't this country ?

I would have hated to go to school in anything other than a uniform. I can imagine a lot of kids would get picked on for not wearing the "correct" clothing.
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last had to wear one in 2011. The day I took it off after completing my final A-Level exam is still the best day of my life
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I would have hated to go to school in anything other than a uniform. I can imagine a lot of kids would get picked on for not wearing the "correct" clothing.

I agree, there was so much pressure on children to have certain clothes/labels when I was at School. It was so much easier to chuck a uniform on in the morning and then you are all the same. I doubt it has changed much for children these days either.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, there was so much pressure on children to have certain clothes/labels when I was at School. It was so much easier to chuck a uniform on in the morning and then you are all the same. I doubt it has changed much for children these days either.

It does look smarter to my mind and of course as you say everyone wears basically the same so not so much of the label envy.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where exactly do you live ?:cool:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darakinss wrote: »
    Last had to wear one in 2011. The day I took it off after completing my final A-Level exam is still the best day of my life

Well, that's one way to celebrate! I hope your underwear was clean! :D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Well, that's one way to celebrate! I hope your underwear was clean! :D

Do you like seeing schoolgirls in their bras and panties?
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The school I work at does have trousers but they're hideous, so the girls all wear skirts. Interestingly, the school I used to go to is near where I live and I drive past some of their kids every day - I think more of the girls wear skirts now than they did when I went there, it seems hugely more fashionable now to wear skirts than it was when I was at school.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    darakinss wrote: »

Trust me, it doesn't get any better...:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Do you like seeing schoolgirls in their bras and panties?

obviously that's the best option, but in someone else's would do nearly as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wear both at my school but its winter so they are mostly wearing trousers or trying to get away with wearing leggings. We have a uniform policy at the school but you can buy your skirts and trousers anywhere they just have to be black.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

Hahaha went shopping at Morrissons today sat in car waiting for hubby to load the car, when along came the 12.15 school rush every girl had skirt way above the knee they had thick black tights on hubby go in car and said they will all get frost bite or colds in their kidneys lol gosh it took me back never felt the cold when I was young :D:D
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Ours wear skirts, with warm tights or trousers when it's cold. There are rules about skirts being too short
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughters school allows a choice. At the moment they're all choosing this particular style of skirt that barely covers their arse. I was happier with the trousers!
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Before I finished school back in '08 they made all of the girls except for year 11 wear black trousers instead of skirts so wouldn't be surprised if that was a more widespread thing
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local posh school insists, on pain of death, that the girls wear their tweedy tartan skirts the regulation "below the knee" length, the leggy tall girls can carry this off, but the titchy wee lassies look like Jimmy Krankie wearing a kilt, pair wee souls.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D

Same with the girls at the School where i live. Lots walking around with little handkerchief's just about covering their bums. Wouldn't mind if they had the legs for it but most are scrawny sparrow legged lasses!
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »

A school year is 190 days. It would be no worse than what happens in reality in the remaining 175 days in the year that school uniform is not worn. (Unless you think children should wear uniform for 365 days a year.)

Or in the 365 days in countries enlightened enough not to dress up their children in compulsory, special school clothes.