Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 56)

Comments

• Options
    Dean_AdamsDean_Adams Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New part, awesome :)
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 just played Bleeding Love :)
  • Options
    joeseeksjoeseeks Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 Leona Lewis 31,726 (126,852)
  • Options
    Mike91Mike91 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocked that OMS sold another 32,000 copies this week tbh!
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joeseeks wrote: »
    15 Leona Lewis 31,726 (126,852)

Slay a bit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CWL sold between 16 - 21
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike91 wrote: »

Me too! she sold 10k less than her first week at #3 in 3 days! If she's had a full week before Christmas she would have probably had her highest selling week!

She's only got to sell 75k next winter to go silver.
  • Options
    AdamBunny10AdamBunny10 Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMS slayed :D
  • Options
    katieknolweskatieknolwes Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So happy about sales and chart positions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Album would have finished on about 104k and single has finished on 127k. 230k+ record sales in less than a month. Really nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look what I found: http://youtu.be/xug3BxTdHgY The link to the US X factor performance of run with over a million views :)
  • Options
    Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like my 15k~ prediction for CWL was on point. Ill pat myself on the back :) lol
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Envoirment wrote: »
    I think OMS would have done 30-35k this week and the album should have done 15-20k. ^_^

Makes up for my flop prediction I gave for OMS. :cool:

Really happy with the sales! :D
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike91 wrote: »

Wow that is brilliant, especially considering she dropped like crazily on Wednesday onwards. Fantastic, as I have already said I can't wait for the new album, but I am actually excited to see how OMS and CWL do next year too. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joeseeks wrote: »
    Album would have finished on about 104k and single has finished on 127k. 230k+ record sales in less than a month. Really nice.
    Especially since she came off an underperforming era.
  • Options
    BenFriendBenFriend Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    The acoustic album will be in a few hours. It's finished :)

Here's a good Happy one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ0h7oATka4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned this on ATRL but does anyone else think the reason why things have been getting better lately (like amazing new management, fantastic promo, etc) is because of One Direction's mega-success? Their tour and sales are likely bringing in alot of money for the label, money that that they can spend/invest on other artists like Leona (well only Leona at this point tbh, lol). And not to mention all of that (management, promo, etc) is helping Leona's success as well, which is bringing that money back into the label.

So basically, Leona's US/UK promo probably ended up costing the label nothing in the end.

Thank god for One Direction. (never thought I'd say that) :cool:
  • Options
    Skye.91Skye.91 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Leona mentioned she's been working with Poet who has connections and is similar to to Will.I.Am, David Guetta & DJ Ammo. It's that very Hi-NRG, techno inspired stuff. Sounds like a disaster on paper but if they create anything like these two tracks I'll die, as interestingly, all parties were involved in this amazing album..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8D9xCBcfzw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_JWxzXq0I

I will not try to be optimistic, I was expecting Glassheart to be more like Rihanna's LOUD album. I'm in favor for Leona doing an album like that. But, Leona broke what fans are expected for her new album. If Leona releasing a Techno/Reggae/Motown vibe (of course some ballads), then I will be happy fan.

My top 3 producers/writers for her fifth album:

1. Bruno Mars (Writing/Producing/Duet)
    2. Sia
    3. Ryan Tedder

and please, NO MORE Emeli Sande and Fraser T. Smith!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only ok with her working with this Poet guy if they create some really strong material. I may be stating an unpopular opinion, but I really don't want her to go down the dance/techno/electric route again. I like GH as an album, but that whole era was just a mess and I don't want anything like that happening again. Although Come Alive and Glassheart are two of my fav songs, GH (the album) is my least favorite. I really think she needs to go back to pure R&B like Spirit. Her vocals slay on songs like that, and to date Spirit has still been her most successful album, and I feel like the change in genres may have thrown some people off. We've seen with CWL that the motown influence actually helped, and to me it's the best album for her vocally.

If she's gonna go techno or dance, I think the majority of the album would have to be uptempo for it to work. One of the issues I have with GH is that it's kind of sporadic, like it doesn't flow that well. I think the uptempo songs are kind of just thrown around on it, and the placement of some of the mid-tempo and slower songs kind of changes the whole mood completely. It flips around too much. This is just my opinion, as I do love GH, but I just don't want anything really like the album again.

Late night rant over :p. I'd love to hear what you guys want or expect for the next album, since we don't really know much yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she's going the dance route with the next album. Most of Glassheart wasn't even dance. It seems to me like she never liked the dance direction anyways, hence why she never released those singles and delayed the album after Collide. It always came off like she was pushed into it.

Next album will probably be more soul/throwback driven with hints of R&B.
  • Options
    Skye.91Skye.91 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only ok with her working with this Poet guy if they create some really strong material. I may be stating an unpopular opinion, but I really don't want her to go down the dance/techno/electric route again. I like GH as an album, but that whole era was just a mess and I don't want anything like that happening again. Although Come Alive and Glassheart are two of my fav songs, GH (the album) is my least favorite. I really think she needs to go back to pure R&B like Spirit. Her vocals slay on songs like that, and to date Spirit has still been her most successful album, and I feel like the change in genres may have thrown some people off. We've seen with CWL that the motown influence actually helped, and to me it's the best album for her vocally.

If she's gonna go techno or dance, I think the majority of the album would have to be uptempo for it to work. One of the issues I have with GH is that it's kind of sporadic, like it doesn't flow that well. I think the uptempo songs are kind of just thrown around on it, and the placement of some of the mid-tempo and slower songs kind of changes the whole mood completely. It flips around too much. This is just my opinion, as I do love GH, but I just don't want anything really like the album again.

Late night rant over :p. I'd love to hear what you guys want or expect for the next album, since we don't really know much yet!

I'm also for Spirit-like album, and it was also the most successful album. Let's remember, Spirit and Echo are still similar/typical Leona, US fans still complaining that Leona only do ballads, she does not do what Beyonce or Rihanna is doing. US fans are still expecting a different Leona, Leona did release GH in the UK, it's different but not entirely, Glassheart is not a strong album, the only strong track on the album is Glassheart, If only Leona would release it as a single but it's too late. Leona's main focus is the US so she needs to be careful how to market her music, it's a good thing she promoted her christmas album in the US, just to get to know Leona little bit more.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather Leona didn't "go back to" either the Spirit, Echo or Glassheart sounds. We have those albums - I'd rather have Leona progress and find a fresher sound.

Glassheart was definitely flawed as a body of work, but I'd say Spirit was too - there just so happened to be so much hype around her and 'Bleeding Love' at the time that it would sell bucketloads. This isn't to discredit Spirit, because it's a fantastic album, but I don't think it was very "Leona" in the sense that I think Simon wanted her to be the new Mariah and as a debut artist, Leona went with it. Her true work is Echo - amazing, cohesive, fantastic concepts throughout, more personal - but we know how that went commercially.

Therefore I think Leona and her team definitely need to find this sound that is loyal to her roots yet commercially viable. An old-school R&B album with elements of Motown and Pop could definitely work wonders for Leona on a global scale in my opinion. If I were Leona's A&R, I'd advise her to take inspiration from Solange's True EP. Most of the songs on there could've been hits if Solange had the backing of a major label. Old-school R&B has definitely made a comeback - if you look at tracks like 'Hold On We're Going Home', 'Move', 'Body Party' etc doing very well in the charts (the latter only in America though).

My top 3 producer picks for this next album would be:

1. Dev Hynes (I'm sure he's very affordable since he writes hit material for unfortunately not very big artists)
    2. Ryan Tedder ('Bleeding Love', 'Happy', 'Glassheart'... enough said)
    3. Bruno Mars (Leona wants it and we want it :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something like "Hold On We're Going Home" would be the perfect lead single for Leona tbh. Catchy, fresh, but still very true to her sound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://imgur.com/IsPoJ0c guys have you seen this... Liam and Leona, maybe?
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Korranh wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/IsPoJ0c guys have you seen this... Liam and Leona, maybe?

I think Zayne and Harry are the only members that could have a successful solo career though
This discussion has been closed.