Costume Reveal - Official Release

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looks like a Magician... saying Abracadabra... All he need is his Sonic wand.

Its okay, it calls back to the first 3 doctors with a modern touch.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I'm looking to lose 4 stone and cosplay as John Hurt's doctor :p

I Googled it: in 1990 John Hurt was reported as being "5 feet 9 inches, 145 pounds". I make that a BMI of around 21.5. He's a healthy chap, isn't he?
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very simple.
    The austerity look.
    Lots of potential and a welcome change.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure its different enough from Matt's but, that said, it does suit him and it is stylish. The flashes of red will look good visually.
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 12 year old relative of mine is so excited by this as are her friends. Particularly the Doc Martins and cardigan.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway. Its a shame you're underwhelmed.

Oh I totally understand that many people won't be into costume the way I am and I really have no problem with that. It's not bad by any stretch I just think its lacking any imagination or inventiveness. I find it odd that they've chosen an outfit that can be brought entirely off the internet rather than having something a bit unique. In the past the Doctor's outfit have either been custom made or including charity/vintage items that have been customised. I just find the whole thing terribly boring.

It's fine, I simply would've preferred unique (but not daft).
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I find it odd that they've chosen an outfit that can be brought entirely off the internet rather than having something a bit unique. In the past the Doctor's outfit have either been custom made or including charity/vintage items that have been customised.
    But think how much easier life will be for the cosplayers!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that jacket is quite a specific piece, and not easily available.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing that picture reminds me a lot of Jon Pertwee's first photocall with the cape etc and the black costume is very similar to Pertwee's in his first Season albeit without the cape and the frilly shirt of course!

Also the whole look is not too dissimilar to the first two Doctors either with black jacket etc. Overall I think it suits him and is a good look.

:)
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Finally, the Doctor has started dressing like me. :D

I'm quite partial to the waistcoat + longcoat (incl Crombies) + smart trousers + boots combo myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But think how much easier life will be for the cosplayers!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that jacket is quite a specific piece, and not easily available.

Well it's expensive but easily available - you can see it on their website. The way they announced the press release sounded like the ad for the Doctor's winter collection. "This year he will be wearing a Crombie's coat, Doc Martin boots..." :D

Seriously though, I do think it's a disappointment that they've brought off the peg and announced the brand. It's kind of like they got the coat for free on the condition they advertised the make to give them some publicity!
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Well it's expensive but easily available - you can see it on their website. The way they announced the press release sounded like the ad for the Doctor's winter collection. "This year he will be wearing a Crombie's coat, Doc Martin boots..." :D

Seriously though, I do think it's a disappointment that they've brought off the peg and announced the brand. It's kind of like they got the coat for free on the condition they advertised the make to give them some publicity!

This is the BBC we are talking about I don't believe they can promote branded stuff really...
  • SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Finally, the Doctor has started dressing like me. :D

I'm quite partial to the waistcoat + longcoat (incl Crombies) + smart trousers + boots combo myself.

I think it's a cardy, not a waistcoat.

I wear DM's, not sure I like those ones with the pattern on top that much though.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I think a suit is fine (he wouldn't suit Chris's rougher look and don't really want to see him in jeans/cords and a jumper :D) but I just think it needs a little something to make it feel new. After Matt's revamped costume and the War Doctor's this one feels bit like they couldn't be arsed! :D

A really simple cravat or scarf would bring it to life.

Ooh yes, a cravat would be great!

I suppose at his age (and he looks his age) you're not going to have him wanderin around in jeans. Conversely, you don't want him doddering around dressed as Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. So I suppose the suit was an obvious choice, and women like men in suits. The suit could have had a more interesting cut though, or different colour.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's wearing the colours of the time vortex, damn it! :p
    Forum Member
    9's leather jacket wasn't an excellent touch. Wasn't flashy, wasn't daft but it was so different than what people were used to. That's why it worked and why it was a great costuming choice. I liked how they referenced that with the War Doctor's outfit too.

I think that was the key; the surprise of how normal it was. It wasn't something which would just appeal to children and geeks- he looked like the kind of bloke you might go to the pub with. It worked and it fitted with Eccleston's portrayal and the more mainstream way the show was going.

I thought The War Doctor's outfit was cool as well. It looked kind of trampy but it clearly would have looked much smarter before he went off to war. It also linked well with Eight's new outfit.

Also, I don't see how it 'looks back to the past' at all, though he's doing a bit of a Pertwee pose. I suppose what they mean is the show's past, rather than 'the past'.
    Forum Member
    Anyway. Its a shame you're underwhelmed. I'm not. But im actually not fussed. The Doctor isn't a superhero wearing an outfit. I personally don't like the slight fetishisation of what the doctor wears.

I don't think it needs to be gimmicky necessarily but there's a degree of flamboyancy to the Doctor, isn't there? And in a way, he is a bit superhero-ish in that he's a heroic figure, not like us humans.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    It's as if the designer's only knowledge of DW was gained from watching the last three episodes of the last series. If you saw that picture in black and white, you'd not even know that it wasn't the suit that Matt was wearing when he croaked.

Worse than that - it looks like the Doctor's been shopping in the January sales at Matalan. There's not enough cloth on that coat for a "swish" and the trousers belong on a fourteen year old kid - is he supposed to grow into them at some point? Love the Docs (would have prefered boots but near enough). Hate the buttoned-up shirt with no tie - that look should only be attempted by 17 year old cider drinkers and inbred banjo players in the everglades.

Overall - it just doesn't work for me. It's jarring to see that stuff on Peter C at his age and with his narrow frame - plus the whole thing looks too "new" - not a wrinke or crease in sight. Since when has The Doctor worn anything that didn't look like it came from the "anything for 50p" pile at a jumble sale? The "Jason King meets bovver boy" look is not a comfortable combination and smacks of trying too hard.

Hopefully it's just a transitional stage and he'll get something a lot less Primark fairly quickly.

PS - I REALLY hope that pose is NOT an indication of how he'll be playing the Doctor - I'm hoping for something a bit more "natural" after the last two Doctors (much as I loved them both, it's time for a change to keep it from become formulaic). More Peter D and less Colin B in the drama-queen stakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    This is the BBC we are talking about I don't believe they can promote branded stuff really...

I did think that but they were reading the press release this morning and have included the brand name of the coat which tbh I found a bit tacky!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PS - I REALLY hope that pose is NOT an indication of how he'll be playing the Doctor - I'm hoping for something a bit more "natural" after the last two Doctors (much as I loved them both, it's time for a change to keep it from become formulaic). More Peter D and less Colin B in the drama-queen stakes.

Ah, Humans....

Someone can fill in the rest of the quote :p
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks good, and it suits him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    They cannot, it is contrary to their Editorial Guidelines
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

I like Jenna in that short plaid skirt. :)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I like Jenna in that short plaid skirt. :)

If this is for episode 2 she'll have been wearing the same clothes for three stories I think.

Are we back in the 1980's again when the companion changed clothes less often than the Doctor? :D

The Doc's outfit looks good in a natural setting.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Must admit, not a fan of top buttons on shirts being done up without a tie being around. just seems weird.