Options

What should we ask for next?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    The ability to correct stretchy vision already exists, and works very well on Sky+HD boxes, in the form of Aspect Ratio switching over HDMI but practically all TV's don't support it even though it's a standard feature of most of the chipsets used in digital TV's.
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Well its useless it being a hidden feature..
    If Freesat boxes can make it so, in the menu's and on the remote, Sky have no excuse!
    The HDMI aspect switching only works when the box is set to automatic output resolution mode, which causes a big delay on most TVs when switching from SD to HD or vice versa.
    What is being asked for is for the box to correctly display 4:3 material on SD channels when it's set to always upscale the output to HD (720p or 1080i mode), which at the moment it doesn't do.
    It should pillarbox it, as is done at source for most 4:3 material on HD channels.
    All the box does now is upscale it as it is, so it fills the screen distorted.
    :)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 or more tuners.
    Netflix
  • Options
    pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to have the channels for Kids, Shopping and Religion as separate 'addon' packs to make the starting price cheaper and save me £10 a month in not having to have them.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    I'd like to have the channels for Kids, Shopping and Religion as separate 'addon' packs to make the starting price cheaper and save me £10 a month in not having to have them.

How many of the Shopping and Religion channels are subscription - yes thats right zero. Pray tell how that would reduce your subscription as you pay absolutely nothing for them.
  • Options
    marshal.beejmarshal.beej Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Audio auto gain control to try and balance the difference in volume beteween channels and programms/adverts
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Audio auto gain control to try and balance the difference in volume beteween channels and programms/adverts

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is NOT an actual difference in volume but rather a "perceived"difference due to dynamic range compression (where lower volume parts are boosted but not the high volume peaks). There is no simple cheap electronic fix this - an auto gain comtrol would react to the high volume parts which would not exceed a level to trip the auto control and thus have absolutely no effect on overall volume.

The EBU are trying to address this issue with broadcasters - see this page under "Marketing" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Use
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to do with Sky, they have to follow RULES, set out by OFCOM (I believe), so take it up with them first.

I think you missed my point, perhaps I wasn't clear enough :). I meant that if there was enough in it for Sky, then they would do what needs to be done, i.e. tackle Ofcom and make some inroads towards getting the rules changed in order to provide what so many of their subscribers want.
  • Options
    Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    the ability to record 3 programmes at once and watch another
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you want 4 cables coming from your dish? Thats kinda the reason why they haven't done it yet, people just dont want that many cables trailing round their house
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Do you want 4 cables coming from your dish? Thats kinda the reason why they haven't done it yet, people just dont want that many cables trailing round their house

Agreed.

Personally, if Sky haven't added more than 2 tuners by now, it's not going to happen. Especially with all the +1 and On Demand content now available.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    DTS HD or Dolby HD or at least DTS please :)

HD audio is unlikely but the broadcast variant of Dolby Digital Plus would be a distinct possibility because it's backwardly compatible with Dolby Digital and it's already being used by several European broadcasters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    I would go with a price reduction, now BT are taking a lot of sky's prime sports ;)car
  • Options
    stevebasteveba Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    1) On TV Guide change blue button from "-24 Hours" to "-12 Hours"
    That way you if you're start browsing in the morning you can get to the evening programs quicker by pressing Yellow (+24hrs), Blue (-12hrs).

2) A quick way of getting to today in the planner (or the most recent recording).
    I invariably press up arrow to go to the last item in the planner, then channel up a couple of times.
    I have a lot of stuff saved in the planner, but most often want to get to the latest.
  • Options
    stevebasteveba Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    steveba wrote: »
    2) A quick way of getting to today in the planner (or the most recent recording).
    I invariably press up arrow to go to the last item in the planner, then channel up a couple of times.
    I have a lot of stuff saved in the planner, but most often want to get to the latest.
    Correction, it's not up arrow from the first item, it's channel up of course.
  • Options
    Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member

I wouldent mind if it meant i could record more virgin have it why not sky
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldent mind if it meant i could record more virgin have it why not sky

Virgin boxes only need 1 cable no matter how many channels you can record at once. Different technology.
  • Options
    Paul_phelanPaul_phelan Posts: 83
    Forum Member

Any chance that we could have Youtube?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for a start a don't think sky will add anything like Netflix or blink box ect because people wouldn't use the sky store anymore, I would like to see planner sharing better clash management like the sky + app and better stack management
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nufc4life wrote: »
    Well for a start a don't think sky will add anything like Netflix or blink box ect because people wouldn't use the sky store anymore, I would like to see planner sharing better clash management like the sky + app and better stack management

I don't think it's the Sky Store, it's probably Sky Movies they would be more worried about.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netflix and YouTube acess have been requested quite a few times but I doubt Sky will implement them.

Improved clash management and better stacking are probably the most requested features, and are both something that Sky is working on.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That may not always be an issue who knows what's around the corner.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/satellite-tv-takes-to-ethernet-cables-to-allow-cheaper-multi-channel-and-multi-room_M11464.html