Options

Shetland Series Two Starts Tuesday 11th March BBC1

Comments

• Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    Trying to like Shetland and although I appreciate the setting, I agree it is trying to be Scandi-drama and not getting there. It lacks the tension. Although I missed last weeks, I "caught on" . Ah accents well as long as they don't ruin a context, I cannot not nitpick. But I do think any drama has to moderate the depth of an accent. I mean my city can produce some impenetrable sounds and for the sake of a nationwide audience it's surely better to "posh-up". Now is it modern-tellys, sound recording or mumbling that makes dialogue hard to follow. To me Brian Cox was not only mumbling but swinging around the various British islands..and ...forgive me...over-acting like the clappers...Is he aiming for a knighthood?

I did sometimes find the dialogue difficult to catch so I put the subs on. I didn't miss a thing after that. I'm fine with the thick accents as it's nice to have a bit of variety.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the reveal of who the killer was and why she carried out the deed was excellently handled. Looking forward to the next two-parter.
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The saddest thing about this show is the the book it was based on was excellent and very atmospheric. It is my favourite of the Shetland books

I know that all of you that have read the book wil have said this already, but the whole point of people asking Jimmy Perez where he is from is because he looks Spanish.

I don't mind the show, but it is a bit slow and bland, and however much I love Douglas Henshall, he doesn;t really lift it any.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked this but then I have just come to it 'new' having never heard of the books or even knowing there was a series before this. I love the scenery, the accents and the fact that they all look colder than me! Makes me feel positively toasty for a change.

I agree that it could be grittier or a faster pace but tbh the pace suits me just fine for a 'school night'. I would probably switch off if it were darker or more complex. Dark and edgy is fine but not during the week when I'm knackered, borderline vegetative and just want to tune out and wind down before bed.

Oh, and what's the deal with Julie Graham? I like her. I feel from some of these posts that that is wrong. :D And as for Douglas.....mmm hmm hmm, yuh- hmmm. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    [...]To me Brian Cox was not only mumbling but swinging around the various British islands..and ...forgive me...over-acting like the clappers...Is he aiming for a knighthood?

I don't necessarily agree with this--the parts that strike me as Cox mumbling are parts where I'd imagine Magnus would naturally mumble--but the conclusion here had me full-on LOL. I don't necessarily disagree w/that bit.

I'm loving Shetland. While I now have a new appreciation of residents asking Perez from whence he comes--re: original novel, which I've no read--I also appreciate the decision to have him "take after his mother" for the telly programme. I think the fact they chose someone who *doesn't* look Spanish lends more power to Magnus' asking "Whar's du fae?" at the end of "Raven Black."
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother was talking about Shetland the other day so I have just watched episodes1/2 back to back. I enjoyed them but did find I has to turn the tv up to hear, even then it was quite difficult to understand. Will watch with subtitles next time and so will my mum.
  • Options
    Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying it so far, and I enjoyed the 1st series too. Loving the scenery and the characters.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC went from the sunshine of the Carribean to the gloom of the Shetlands, both series needed subtitles on to understand the accents
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,331
    Forum Member
    I've just watched the first two parter and I enjoyed it for itself without comparing it to any other crime drama. I love the scenery, the pace is just fine as it seems right for the setting and I don't mind the gloom at all, I quite like it! From watching this and the first series I like the way Jimmy and his team interact and I think the acting has been very good, maybe not a complex story but it was made very well and was entertaining. I have no trouble understanding the accent either :) I'm looking forward to the next two parter!
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched the first two parter and I enjoyed it for itself without comparing it to any other crime drama. I love the scenery, the pace is just fine as it seems right for the setting and I don't mind the gloom at all, I quite like it! From watching this and the first series I like the way Jimmy and his team interact and I think the acting has been very good, maybe not a complex story but it was made very well and was entertaining. I have no trouble understanding the accent either :) I'm looking forward to the next two parter!

I must be a very rare breed because I would take the Shetlands over the Caribbean any day. But then I have a special fondness for the similarly gloomy and bleak Highlands. Not that I'd pass up a trip to the Caribbean if it was going, you understand. :D

I must pay particular attention to the accents in the next episode because quite a few have mentioned it but, like yourself, I had no problem with it.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very enjoyable despite the BBC's compulsory pc content. Amazed to discover it's a BBC Scotland production as didn't realise Shetland was part of Glasgow.

It's a shame the English have to suffer a programme set outwith their country. It must be terrible for you.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,331
    Forum Member
    I must be a very rare breed because I would take the Shetlands over the Caribbean any day. But then I have a special fondness for the similarly gloomy and bleak Highlands. Not that I'd pass up a trip to the Caribbean if it was going, you understand. :D

I must pay particular attention to the accents in the next episode because quite a few have mentioned it but, like yourself, I had no problem with it.

I think I would too, I'm not too keen on very hot weather :D but if someone offered to take me to the Caribbean I wouldn't say no :D

It could be the sound rather than the accent, on some programmes I've noticed it's a bit muffled and you have to turn the sound up more than you normally would.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    It *is* the muddy soundytrack and not the accents that are a problem.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looby383x wrote: »
    The saddest thing about this show is the the book it was based on was excellent and very atmospheric. It is my favourite of the Shetland books

I know that all of you that have read the book wil have said this already, but the whole point of people asking Jimmy Perez where he is from is because he looks Spanish.

I don't mind the show, but it is a bit slow and bland, and however much I love Douglas Henshall, he doesn;t really lift it any.

I agree with you completely - Jimmy should look more Spanish, if only with dark hair which I'm sure they could have achieved - there being such a thing as hair dye!

Also, having read the books (4 of them) I kept having to remind myself that the series only claims to be BASED on the books. In the last story (unless I' e remembered incorrectly, Fran was still alive?)
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame the English have to suffer a programme set outwith their country. It must be terrible for you.

What are you on about? Why are you insinuating that the English don't like programmes being set outside their country? Some of us are huge fans of Scandinavian (and indeed other European) crime/political dramas on BBC4.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essentially, McWallander.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Very enjoyable despite the BBC's compulsory pc content. Amazed to discover it's a BBC Scotland production as didn't realise Shetland was part of Glasgow.

:D

Didn't BBC Scotland also do the Shetland set "Crowdie & Cream" that ran on BBC4 way back whenever?

You know what amazed me? When I saw "BBC Scotland" pop up at the end of Pramface running on BBC3. Except for one episode, the story has been entirely south of the border. The content, however, upon reflection, follows other BBC Scotland things. It would take entirely too many words to describe it, but kind of in the same vein as all BBC Wales things have a particular feel to them.

Also re: WegieTV, BBC Scotland makes Gary Tank Commander, with that Edinburgher, McHugh. But I know what ya mean.

:D
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Essentially, McWallander.

Love Wallander, both Swedish & English versions.

Saw Henning interviewed once & he said he almost preferred the English version!

Thought they were making a new series, but nothing seems to materialised.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Love Wallander, both Swedish & English versions.

Saw Henning interviewed once & he said he almost preferred the English version!

I`d like to see that quote!
    kaycee wrote: »
    Thought they were making a new series, but nothing seems to materialised.

I was reading on another thread that they had so fingers crossed. Proper Wallander that is, not Kenny B`s pitiful version.
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shetland is actually produced by ITV Studios for BBC Scotland.

This series is better than the first series last year. Good stories with some stunning photography of a very windy place! Can't understand the difficult-to-understand accent comments. If anyone finds it a problem, all they need do is turn on the subtitles!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that was good! Enjoyed the different strands/theories. Suitably creepy at the end and I'd have liked to go to the wedding. And no Brian Cox..thank the Norse gods..sorry still methinks thou doest mumble overmuch.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    Watched it with subtitles to overcome the muddy soundtrack. Does the sound engineer even listen to what it sounds like at the end of the playout and broadcast chain or do they rely purely on monitor grade headphones plugged in directly at source?
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be a fashion at the moment, to encourage the actors to speak quietly and 'naturally' so the audience has to strain to understand. I think gomezz may be right, that the sound engineers assume a home-cinema setup rather than the low-watt fuzzy speakers that most of us actually have.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed that but weird to see Alec from Taggart not being a cop!! Is it too obvious for him to be the killer :D
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    Shetland is actually produced by ITV Studios for BBC Scotland.

This series is better than the first series last year. Good stories with some stunning photography of a very windy place! Can't understand the difficult-to-understand accent comments. If anyone finds it a problem, all they need do is turn on the subtitles!

Just a shame it isnt 100% filmed in Shetland. Last weeks car crash scene clearly had Ailsa Craig in the background, which is off the Ayrshire coast.