Columbo Episode Discussion Thread

2»

Comments

• CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so many great actors , and johnny cash, queuing up to be fingered by, erm, what was columbos first name btw.

Patrick Mc Goohan, Ray Milland, john cassavettes, leslie neilsen, rip torn and [ my favourite mr nasty ] george hamilton.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    so many great actors , and johnny cash, queuing up to be fingered by, erm, what was columbos first name btw.

Patrick Mc Goohan, Ray Milland, john cassavettes, leslie neilsen, rip torn and [ my favourite mr nasty ] george hamilton.

And Jack Cassidy .. so evil :blush: And Faye Dunaway :o

I'm sure it was said that top stars were queuing up to appear. Not many detective show can boast that.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I'm sure this will have been posted elsewhere - but I'm posting it here anyway. Its a really good 'all you need to know about Columbo' site. There are links to all aspects but the link I was drawn to was the guest appearances - if you go to the 'murderers' one - you can find them all. It just jogs your memory as to the brilliant guest stars the show has featured.

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/faq.htm
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

If I had to single out one particular villain though it would have to be Dick Van Dyke in Negative Reaction. Partly because until that time I'd only ever seen him in amiable comedic roles - so good to see him play a baddie. I think this is also one of the best worked-out episodes.
  • sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had to single out one particular villain though it would have to be Dick Van Dyke in Negative Reaction. Partly because until that time I'd only ever seen him in amiable comedic roles - so good to see him play a baddie. I think this is also one of the best worked-out episodes.

BIB
    I was shocked that my favourite chimney sweep was a bad boy! That episode was on a few weeks ago, I won’t give anything away, but must say it was up to the generally high standard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really like the eerie opening scene in that one when he is working in his darkroom and the wife calls to him from outside the room. So atmospheric
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Love Columbo, the best TV show ever.

I have a real soft spot for the episode 'Troubled Waters', the one set on a cruise ship. It doesnt seem to be shown as often as some other episodes though.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    And Jack Cassidy .. so evil :blush: And Faye Dunaway :o

I'm sure it was said that top stars were queuing up to appear. Not many detective show can boast that.

I really enjoyed the Faye Dunaway episode. One of the best of the newer episodes.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure this will have been posted elsewhere - but I'm posting it here anyway. Its a really good 'all you need to know about Columbo' site. There are links to all aspects but the link I was drawn to was the guest appearances - if you go to the 'murderers' one - you can find them all. It just jogs your memory as to the brilliant guest stars the show has featured.

Thanks for the link, very good. :)
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ermm, Patrick McGoohan great actor? They didn't come more wooden.
    Forum Member

Thanks for the link...I will have a read tomorrow :)
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the Faye Dunaway episode. One of the best of the newer episodes.

It was a good one and it was quite sad at the end I thought.

One of my fav's are on tomorrow .. Murder, Smoke and Shadows.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I alone in not being able to watch the newer episodes/feature length ones? Like today is "Ashes to Ashes". I had to turn over. It's just not the same imho. Peter is older which makes the Columbo character older and at the spark has gone for me.
    Forum Member
    Am I alone in not being able to watch the newer episodes/feature length ones? Like today is "Ashes to Ashes". I had to turn over. It's just not the same imho. Peter is older which makes the Columbo character older and at the spark has gone for me.

You maybe ;-) I love this episode as it has a bit of comedy to it.

Columbo has never lost his spark as far as I am concerned :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    It was a good one and it was quite sad at the end I thought.

Yes, I agree! I did find the Faye Dunaway episode sad, moving.

It was also one - where unlike the usual episodes we didn't know all the facts right from the start.
  • BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading his book "Just one more thing" :) Holy Jamolies he had some adventures and stories to share. I certainly raised an eyebrow when he wrote about Faye.

Love the show.

We don't see him get angry very often, and he did today in "Ashes to Ashes" over the puppy. :o

By all accounts Peter was a very chatty fella despite the book saying otherwise regarding small talk. In the early 2000s Peter bought my OH a guinness at a hotel bar where he was staying on business in Eire. They had a very pleasant chat. At the time my OH didn't realise it was Peter, and Peter said "you know by now most people would have said I look like Columbo"........ I couln't believe he missed the opportunity to use one of Columbo's lines "My wife loves your show/you" :blush:
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never liked this particular story. Not keen on Patrick McGoohan or the funeral parlour setting. I'm sure there awas another one with Patrick McGoohan as the baddy, set in a military academy. Wasn't keen on that one either.

On the whole i prefer the earlier ones from the 70s but Smoke and Mirrors was pretty good apart from the over theatrical denouement at the end.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the series from 1979 where his wife became a detective and Columbo was only heard on the phone? I do remember one story where someone was shot by their television.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beecosy wrote: »
    I'm currently reading his book "Just one more thing" :) Holy Jamolies he had some adventures and stories to share. I certainly raised an eyebrow when he wrote about Faye.

Love the show.

We don't see him get angry very often, and he did today in "Ashes to Ashes" over the puppy. :o

By all accounts Peter was a very chatty fella despite the book saying otherwise regarding small talk. In the early 2000s Peter bought my OH a guinness at a hotel bar where he was staying on business in Eire. They had a very pleasant chat. At the time my OH didn't realise it was Peter, and Peter said "you know by now most people would have said I look like Columbo"........ I couln't believe he missed the opportunity to use one of Columbo's lines "My wife loves your show/you" :blush:

What did he say about Faye? :o Their onscreen chemistry was great.

Tyne Daley was also in 2 episodes iirc, she was excellent too.
    Forum Member
    Beecosy wrote: »

Love the show.

'A Stitch In Time' he got very angry with Leonard Nimoy :o

Another of my favourite episodes :D
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Anyone remember the series from 1979 where his wife became a detective and Columbo was only heard on the phone? I do remember one story where someone was shot by their television.

Mrs Columbo. There are a couple of episodes included in the Columbo UK complete box set.

Starred Kate Mullgrew (Capt Janeway from Star Trek Voyager) as Kate Columbo. Went through several name changes (Kate Columbo, Kate the Detective, Kate Loves a Mystery..) and only lasted 13 episodes. By the end all reference to Columbo had been dropped and even the character was renamed Kate Callaghan.

Have suffered a couple of episodes of it, there is one I remember in particular featuring a ventriloquists dummy, its unremittingly terrible.