Options

A quick gardening Q

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sorry this is so lazy (I should Google but I am at work)

Planning to do the balcony this weekend and wondering what we should be looking at planting. We have lots of pots varying in size so we need plants / flowers that will be happy in pots?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most plants won't mind being in pots, check the max size they can grow to so you don't end up with something that grows 8ft in every direction, the main thing is to keep them watered
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    If you're looking for 'prettiness' then things like pansies and several other flowering bedding plants would be good imo.
    Personally I love Japanese maples and they seem to quite like pots.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not plant geraniums - they have flowers all year long in a sunny place, and petunias that will trail out of the pots around them.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The employees at the garden centres where you buy this stuff from are usually pretty clued up on these matters. Might be a good idea to pick out some stuff you like then get direct advice on whether those things are suitable for your purposes.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    clematis and honeysuckle would be nice up the guard, nicotiana and night scented stock smell lovely.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt it too early to be planting yet? We can still have an early morning frost.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Sunflowers?
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Isnt it too early to be planting yet? We can still have an early morning frost.

keep seedlings covered
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    how about some veg?

i've just put my carrots in. and my peppers. and my trinidad moruga scorpions.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Geraniums are lovely and flower all year if you let them.

South African Veldt Daisies/ Rain Daisies/ Cape Marigolds ((not seen a plant with so many different names))flower all summer until the frosts come. They aren't fussy on space and you can grow them from seeds. Dimorphoteca Pluvialis. Can be ordered from Amazon. Last for years and flowers for a very long time. Very beautiful flowers.

Pinks look good in pots and flower for ages.

Pansies love pots. If you dehead the old flowers, you can have pansies all summer.

Snapdragons/ Antirrhiniums love pots too. Such pretty flowers. I am about to plant some of their seeds once I have got another large flower pot/planter.

Aquilegia is nice but it doesn't flower very long. However, it keeps its lovely clover like leaves all year round.

Ferns love pots and so do small trees.

Seeds come up incredibly fast and much cheaper than buying plants.

Herbs for cooking can be easily grown and smell lovely. Rosemary and thyme last for years. Sometimes sage gets a bit woody.

I have seen a good sized propagator in Wilkinson's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geraniums are lovely and flower all year if you let them.

South African Veldt Daisies/ Rain Daisies/ Cape Marigolds ((not seen a plant with so many different names))flower all summer until the frosts come. They aren't fussy on space and you can grow them from seeds. Dimorphoteca Pluvialis. Can be ordered from Amazon. Last for years and flowers for a very long time. Very beautiful flowers.

Pinks look good in pots and flower for ages.

Pansies love pots. If you dehead the old flowers, you can have pansies all summer.

Snapdragons/ Antirrhiniums love pots too. Such pretty flowers. I am about to plant some of their seeds once I have got another large flower pot/planter.

Aquilegia is nice but it doesn't flower very long. However, it keeps its lovely clover like leaves all year round.

Ferns love pots and so do small trees.

Seeds come up incredibly fast and much cheaper than buying plants.

aquilegia [lovely as it is] is poisonous, rainbow has a small child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aquilegia [lovely as it is] is poisonous, rainbow has a small child.

So are snapdragons, pinks, rain daisies. I think most plants are poisonous in some way to cats, dogs or humans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clematis and honeysuckle would be nice up the guard, nicotiana and night scented stock smell lovely.

Clematis, nicotiana and honeysuckle are poisonous to cats.

Night scented stock are toxic to children.

I don't think it is possible to find many plants that are safe.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh I didn't even think about anything being poisonous (to child or cat!)

I'll do a bit more research this evening but many thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Gosh I didn't even think about anything being poisonous (to child or cat!)

I'll do a bit more research this evening but many thanks for all the suggestions.

cats are not generally stupid enough to eat something that is poisonous. that's more of a people thing.

my herbs and veg suggestion is looking better now though isn't it.
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like sunflowers best
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I like sunflowers best

Good idea. Sunflowers in pots would look great on a balcony.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    cats are not generally stupid enough to eat something that is poisonous. that's more of a people thing.

my herbs and veg suggestion is looking better now though isn't it.

I would avoid lilies if you have cats - the pollen is poisonous too and they can easily get it on their fur then lick it off:(

Anyway, I'd be planting some herbs if it were me - curly pasley does well as does the flat leaf which makes a good substitute for coriander which never does well for me. Rosemary, thyme, mint, oregano, marjoram, sage will all cope well. Luckily many of our herbs come from the Med so can cope with a bit of drying out!
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant some herbs too
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Most plants won't mind being in pots, check the max size they can grow to so you don't end up with something that grows 8ft in every direction, the main thing is to keep them watered
    ..and fed occasionally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    ..and fed occasionally.
    but not too much, you don`t want them getting out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SkrYF8lCU
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't go wrong with lavender, get those bees visiting. You can also get some lovely miniature buddleia which would be good in pots. I highly recommend camellia too. I've got one in a pot in ericaceous compost and it's stunning. :)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if it's south facing you can grow tomatoes. Not particularly difficult (cherry varieties are easiest) and it's great eating something you grew yourself. If you hurry up you should still be in time for a late summer crop.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geraniums and cape daisies (osteospermum)! Lovely mix. I used to plant so many in my window boxes when I had a flat that I could barely open the windows. I adored them. Also, if you cook at home, how about some rosemary, bay leaves, parsley etc?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Remember and think seasonal. Some colour in winter is nice...maybe a winter flowering jasmine climbing up the guard rail?