Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2013/14 season

Comments

• Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charles Sale says Graham Taylor has been 'overlooked' as 5 Live's England analysis for the World Cup this summer and Danny Mills will be doing it instead. I'm not sure if this means Graham won't be going at all. I'd have thought it would be more likely health related than anything else. Taylor's still one of the best BBC radio pundits for me.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off: Exclusive from the Etihad Stadium.

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Manchester City v Sunderland - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore, with Dominic McGuiness pitchside (commentary)
    Everton v Crystal Palace - Graham Beecroft

BBC LONDON

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Everton v Crystal Palace - Andy Rowley and Steve Froggatt (DAB commentary)

BBC RADIO MANCHESTER

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Manchester City v Sunderland - Ian Cheeseman and Shaun Goater (commentary)

BBC RADIO MERSEYSIDE

PREMIER LEAGUE
    Everton v Crystal Palace - Mike Hughes and Ronny Goodlass (commentary)
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Charles Sale says Graham Taylor has been 'overlooked' as 5 Live's England analysis for the World Cup this summer and Danny Mills will be doing it instead. I'm not sure if this means Graham won't be going at all. I'd have thought it would be more likely health related than anything else. Taylor's still one of the best BBC radio pundits for me.

Agreed, he's not been around too much, I think he had a knee op so probably just isn't up to it, he might have a studio based role (possibly in the UK)
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts County v Arsenal (FA Women's Super League)

Radio Wales' Simon Davies (also host) and Faye White for BBC Five Live Sports Xtra
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 16th March - talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Everton v Crystal Palace - Russell Hargreaves
    Manchester City v Sunderland - Dan Wheeler and Jason Euell (featured 7.45pm commentary on international radio stations)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Chapman is presenting with Danny Mills, Danny Higgingbottom & Owen Coyle in the studio

Man City vs Sunderland - Conor McNamara & Shay Given
    Everton vs Palace - Ian Brown & Pat Nevin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard 5Live clip an intro to Peter Jones at Hillsborough, it's a presenter of the sport program of that day, any idea who this will be?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    I heard 5Live clip an intro to Peter Jones at Hillsborough, it's a presenter of the sport program of that day, any idea who this will be?

I think John Inverdale presented Sport on 2 on that day. They made a late decision to drop the Sports Report theme music (Out of the Blue).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    I think John Inverdale presented Sport on 2 on that day. They made a late decision to drop the Sports Report theme music (Out of the Blue).

It sounded like someone I know and that makes sense

I'm listening to 5Live's Hillsborough documentary and it's fantastically well put together and wonderfully handled by Mark Pougatch with some very sad memories from Alan Green.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,850
    Forum Member
    It sounded like someone I know and that makes sense

I'm listening to 5Live's Hillsborough documentary and it's fantastically well put together and wonderfully handled by Mark Pougatch with some very sad memories from Alan Green.

I can't recall if Inverdale was there at the time, probably not. Commentary was due to be Alan Green & PeterJones, with Jimmy Armfield.

At Villa Park was Mike Ingham and Bryon Butler (cannot recall the summeriser, but may have been Trevor Brooking)

Alan used to cover the Snooker at The Crucible in those days so this was due to be his last game for a couple of weeks.

When the game was played at Old Trafford, it was a Sunday lunchtime, I have no idea who were the comms, i *think* PJ was given a break from football, not sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of Hillsborough, on the 25th anniversary of the disaster on Tuesday I noticed that talkSPORT were using clips of Graham Beecroft's reports from the game for BBC Radio Merseyside during their news bulletins. I've heard some of these clips on BBC Radio documentaries about the tragedy, but can't remember hearing them on talkSPORT before.

It's very decent of the BBC to allow talkSPORT to use this audio, with Radio Merseyside being more appropriate for their audience than one of the television, other BBC radio or commercial radio commentaries from Hillsborough would be given Beecroft's familiarity to the station's listeners and how he is the man they have always called upon to report on the campaign for justice and now the inquests.

The particular bit of audio I remember them playing on Tuesday was not one of Beecroft's reports as the tragedy was unfolding, but one from a while later after he'd been to the Hillsborough police control room to speak to some of the officers in charge, who'd told him that Liverpool supporters hadn't charged the gate and that what had unfolded had happened because there were too many people in the Leppings Lane end, which was contrary to what some national television broadcasters had reported at the time. The clip I'm talking about is quoted at the beginning of this blog. There and elsewhere, I've seen Beecroft praised for the job he did that day, for taking the time to establish the facts before reporting what he knew to be accurate. It's such a shame that not everyone reported on Hillsborough in this matter.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I can't recall if Inverdale was there at the time, probably not. Commentary was due to be Alan Green & PeterJones, with Jimmy Armfield.

At Villa Park was Mike Ingham and Bryon Butler (cannot recall the summeriser, but may have been Trevor Brooking

It was indeed John Inverdale, though I doubt he'd have been there, in those days I'm pretty sure they presented from the studio nine times out of ten. I've got the Radio Times from that week and Invers is down to present, though the commentators aren't billed. The other sport being covered that day was the MCC vs Worcestershire at Lord's, Racing from Newbury and, as you say, snooker, which Alan Green was going to to after the game. Indeed the Radio Times points out that there were extra sports desks at 11pm and midnight every day for the snooker, it was a big deal at the time.

It may have been Trevor Brooking on the other semi-final because he was there for Match of the Day. In the past Des Lynam has talked about being there with Jimmy Hill and indeed the Radio Times suggests the plan was for the whole of MOTD to be pre-recorded at the grounds, as it says "Desmond Lynam, Jimmy Hill and John Motsonn bring you the action from Hillsborough. Tony Gubba, Trevor Brooking and Barry Davies follow events at Villa Park." That seems a rather odd way to do it, requiring two presenters and two pundits, which might make sense if they were live games but surely not for highlights. But, of course, it never happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the subject of Hillsborough, on the 25th anniversary of the disaster on Tuesday I noticed that talkSPORT were using clips of Graham Beecroft's reports from the game for BBC Radio Merseyside during their news bulletins. I've heard some of these clips on BBC Radio documentaries about the tragedy, but can't remember hearing them on talkSPORT before.

It's very decent of the BBC to allow talkSPORT to use this audio, with Radio Merseyside being more appropriate for their audience than one of the television, other BBC radio or commercial radio commentaries from Hillsborough would be given Beecroft's familiarity to the station's listeners and how he is the man they have always called upon to report on the campaign for justice and now the inquests.

The particular bit of audio I remember them playing on Tuesday was not one of Beecroft's reports as the tragedy was unfolding, but one from a while later after he'd been to the Hillsborough police control room to speak to some of the officers in charge, who'd told him that Liverpool supporters hadn't charged the gate and that what had unfolded had happened because there were too many people in the Leppings Lane end, which was contrary to what some national television broadcasters had reported at the time. The clip I'm talking about is quoted at the beginning of this blog. There and elsewhere, I've seen Beecroft praised for the job he did that day, for taking the time to establish the facts before reporting what he knew to be accurate. It's such a shame that not everyone reported on Hillsborough in this matter.

He did a great job, I know he was fuming at some of the newspaper reporters who were already concocting 'stories' before the players went off

Must also mention poor Bill Arthur who covered it on City, he'd been at Bradford as well

It shows the versatility these guys have, I hope to God no one has to ever cover events like these again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was indeed John Inverdale, though I doubt he'd have been there, in those days I'm pretty sure they presented from the studio nine times out of ten. I've got the Radio Times from that week and Invers is down to present, though the commentators aren't billed. The other sport being covered that day was the MCC vs Worcestershire at Lord's, Racing from Newbury and, as you say, snooker, which Alan Green was going to to after the game. Indeed the Radio Times points out that there were extra sports desks at 11pm and midnight every day for the snooker, it was a big deal at the time.

It may have been Trevor Brooking on the other semi-final because he was there for Match of the Day. In the past Des Lynam has talked about being there with Jimmy Hill and indeed the Radio Times suggests the plan was for the whole of MOTD to be pre-recorded at the grounds, as it says "Desmond Lynam, Jimmy Hill and John Motsonn bring you the action from Hillsborough. Tony Gubba, Trevor Brooking and Barry Davies follow events at Villa Park." That seems a rather odd way to do it, requiring two presenters and two pundits, which might make sense if they were live games but surely not for highlights. But, of course, it never happened.

I didn't think Invers was there - they tended to only host away from the studio for the Grand National and FA Cup Final. It was unusual that the semi was to get full commentary. 12 months earlier there was some of the second half, as the semis clashed with the National

Des always says Jimmy tapped him on the shoulder at kick off and said 'we get paid for this - it's the best job in the world'. Little did they know what was to come
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Green's clips was sad, Peter Jones was at Heysel & Hillsborough and from the sounds of it, never recovered from the second tragedy. Alan said it was very difficult to work together after that because the memories would come flooding back.

I know a lot of people don't like him but that bit was quite moving.

Mark Pougatch handled it tremendously well interviewing two survivors.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC London 94.9 has revealed its commentary schedule for the next couple of weeks. Of course, it may change but here it is...

18th April
    Charlton v Bolton with Andy Rowley (DAB, digital TV and online)
    Harlequins v Leicester - Sara Orchard (online)

19th April
    Tottenham v Fulham - Emma Jones and Bradley Allen (FM, DAB, digital TV and online)
    West Ham v Crystal Palace - Nick Godwin and James Scowcroft (FM, DAB, digital TV and online)
    Wasps v Gloucester - Sara Orchard (online)

21st April
    QPR v Watford - Andy Rowley and Bradley Allen (DAB and digital TV)

22nd April
    Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (DAB and digital TV)

26th April
    QPR v Millwall - Phil Parry and Bradley Allen (FM)
    Stoke v Tottenham - Andy Rowley and James Scowcroft (DAB, digital TV and online)

27th April
    Crystal Palace v Manchester City (DAB, digital TV and online)

29th April
    Charlton v Watford - Phil Parry and Bradley Allen (DAB, digital TV and online)

3rd May
    Blackpool v Charlton - Emma Jones and James Scowcroft (DAB, digital TV and online)
    West Ham v Tottenham - Phil Parry and Bradley Allen (FM)
    Stoke v Fulham - Andy Rowley and Steve Froggatt (DAB, digital TV and online)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan Green's clips was sad, Peter Jones was at Heysel & Hillsborough and from the sounds of it, never recovered from the second tragedy. Alan said it was very difficult to work together after that because the memories would come flooding back.

I've heard that said before, PJ covered Wimbledon that year then the Commonwealth Games in New Zealand - he was on top form at both. Sad he never got to see the game's revival properly
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Friday 18th April

BBC WM

BBC WM Sport with Paul Franks Live from The Molineux

League One
    Richard Wilford and Paul Franks: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Rotterdam United
    Tom Marlow: Carlisle United v Walsall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BBC WM

League One
    Richard Wilford and Paul Franks: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Rotterdam United

I thought the UEFA Nations League was an international competition?

;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio 5Live

George Riley presenting & Steve Claridge has been in the studio

SkyBet Championship

Wigan vs Reading - Conor McNamara & Jimmy Armfield
    Bournemouth vs Sheff Wed - Alistair Bruce-Ball
    Huddersfield vs Brighton - Peter Slater
    Charlton vs Bolton - Rob Nothman
    Blackburn vs Yeovil - Ian Brown

SkyBet League One

Brentford vs Preston - Johnathan Legard
    Crawley vs Leyton Orient - Simon Mann
    Wolves vs Rotherham - John Acres

Sky Bet League 2

Wycombe vs Northampton - Steve May
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,568
    Forum Member
    BBC London Digital
    Charlton v Bolton Emma Jones and Bradley Allen (DAB commentary)
    Brentford v Preston Billy Reeves
    Crawley v Leyton Orient Dave Victor
    AFC Wimbledon v Newport County Alan Seabrook
    Torquay v Dagenham and Redbridge Stuart Smith

BBC Three Counties Radio
    Host Geoff Doyle at Wycombe
    Port Vale v MK Dons Paul Dixon and Luke Ashmead (commentary on 95.5 and 104.5FM)
    Wycombe v Northampton Phil Catchpole and Steve Brown (commentary on all other frequencies)

BBC Radio Surrey / Sussex
    Huddersfield v Brighton Adrian Harms and Warren Aspinall (commentary in Sussex)
    Crawley v Leyton Orient John Barnett and Warren Lucy
    Aldershot v Salisbury Gavin Dennison (also host) and Jason Campbell (commentary in Surrey)
    Ebbsfleet v Eastbourne Borough Kevin Anderson

BBC Radio Solent
    Host Adam Blackmore
    Bournemouth v Sheffield Wednesday Kris Temple and John Williams (commentary, also on BBC Five Live Sports Extra)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

AFC Wimbledon v Newport County - Simon Davies (studio host) Rob Phillips and Iwan Roberts (All frequencies)

BBC Bristol / Somerset

Ed Hadwin (studio host)

Blackburn Rovers v Yeovil Town - Chris Spittles and Chris Sweet (95.5FM)
    Bristol City v Notts County - Andy Hoard and Adam Baker (94.9FM / 104.6FM / 1548MW / 1566MW / DAB)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juliette Ferrington is at Blackpool vs Burnley for 5Live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5Live will have commentary on the Real/Bayern 1st leg game with John Murray at both games in Madrid this week & Chris Waddle co-comm at both.

I wasn't sure if they would but I think it's come down to both games being in the same city so it's a no-brainer when there's no domestic games of much note.

I hope they do the 2nd leg but I'm sure this will be determined by the 1st leg result and budget
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Friday - talkSPORT

Danny Kelly and Andy Jacobs, followed by Drive Time with Sam Matterface and Micky Quinn and Kick Off with Richard Keys and Andy Gray from Doha, Qatar

Championship
    AFC Bournemouth v Sheffield Wednesday - Ian Abrahams
    Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers - Ian Danter
    Huddersfield Town v Brighton & Hove Albion - Simon Humphreys
    Wigan Athletic v Reading - Dom McGuinness
    Blackpool v Burnley - Alan Biggs
    Doncaster Rovers v Derby County - Graham Courtney

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Harlequins v Leicester Tigers - Russell Hargreaves

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presented The Goalzone from Molineux

League One
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Rotherham United - Tom Ross and Andy Thompson (3pm commentary in Birmingham, the Black Country and Shropshire)

While Sam Matterface was incredibly enthusiastic about updating the results affecting Brentford's promotion prospects during the first hour of Drive Time this evening, I must say I thought it was a shame that talkSPORT didn't have reporters at the big games in Leagues One and Two to match their coverage of the bulk of the Championship games. Personally, on Good Friday and Easter Monday I'd rest H&J and Drive Time and stick a Matchday Live on between 1-5pm - perhaps with Ian Danter rather than Adrian Durham and Ray Parlour if that duo is doing the Saturday show - and maybe a Call Kelly-more between 5-7pm before returning to the normal schedule.

Elsewhere, it's incredibly poor that as holders of national radio commentary rights to the Football League, BBC Radio aren't broadcasting commentary on the key Doncaster Rovers v Derby County game either on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (which in fairness is occupied by Harlequins v Leicester Tigers Premiership rugby union commentary) or Radio 5 Live (which is dedicated to Premier League football chat as usual).