Jamaica Inn

Comments

• the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    ^ Matthew Mcnulty - the 'love interest'. His character, Dudley, runs The Paradise alongside Moray.

I never even recognised him as Dudley from The Paradise until I looked up the IMDB entry for Jamaica Inn - looks quite different.

Can anyone help with my question from about a page back please? In the novel was Joss also flirting at Mary in front of Patience as he did last night i.e. trying to give her that roll of silk before only reluctantly giving it to Patience?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently a rumour is going around that the poor sound quality was a result of a faulty broadcast and had nothing to do with the production team itself...

This is what the writer has Tweeted …
    No surprises here - I'm told there was a major sound problem for tonight's broadcast of #JamaicaInn - not surprised you couldn't hear it

https://twitter.com/EmmaFrostLondon/status/458375967128711168

If this is the case, who is responsible? And why was nothing done for the entire episode to either remedy this or to acknowledge and apologise to the audience that there was a fault?

A most extraordinary own goal, even by the BBC's standards.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Mary, MARY!! This isn't a Downtown Abbey thread, her name's Mary!!! :D:D I was wondering who the heck is this Sybil when most of time the only two women in scenes were Mary and Patience until I googled it this morning! :D:D

I know - I didn't know what people were talking about as I have never watched even one ep of Downton Abbey!
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems everyone is urging to rewatch on IPlayer.
    No I dont want to go and sit at the computer in a office chair and have to watch something I was quite comfortably watching in a armchair, as for watching on a phone or a IPad no chance.
    Another lost viewer here.
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    The WHOLE point of the vicar in the story is that he's an Albino. Very very important!!!
    (though it would be hard to cast)
    Aunt Patience and Joss are far too young.... the whole thing is laughable.

the explanation for not having an albino vicar by the writer:-

Emma Frost: “From the script point of view…it’s interesting…the thing about him being an albino is, it’s a physical manifestation of his freakishness. And that’s how it’s described. And he says in the novel that he’s a freak of nature. He’s actually described almost as a hermaphrodite. He has a soft voice like a woman and he has long eye lashes like a woman. So du Maurier kind of fuses male and female into one and that’s sort of the basis of his freakishness and it’s also why Mary doesn’t find him threatening at all. What was important for me was to try and find a different way to dramatise what du Maurier does within one character, which you can do in a novel because it’s all in the description and in how Mary responds to him. So actually in my version he’s sort of split into two. So he’s split back into the male and female version. So that’s why his sister appears, so that there is still the male and female and they’re transgressive and threating and slightly sexually odd in a slightly different way.”
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite stories, whether by reading the book, listening to a radio version, watching a TV series or the old flm.
    watched for half an hour and my Bf said shall we turn over to Tommy Cooper and sooo glad we did. The mumbling lines meant I could not make out what they were saying.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded it - and I had planned to watch it this evening. Reading this thread, I don't think I will bother.
  • staticgirlstaticgirl Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Can anyone help with my question from about a page back please? In the novel was Joss also flirting at Mary in front of Patience as he did last night i.e. trying to give her that roll of silk before only reluctantly giving it to Patience?

It's years since I last read it but I do remember being a bit intrigued (as a teen) in the sexual interest the Uncle seemed to be showing young Mary. Jamaica Inn has often being caricatured as Wuthering Heights in the West Country and the Uncle is a bit Heathcliff and his brother is a bit Hareton. I think Du Maurier was definitely deliberately channelling that whole gothic sexual danger motif but wanted to make the Uncle a bit more complex so that you almost like him at times, like Emily Bronte did (possibly accidentally). A lot of teenage girls adore Heathcliff as did I once. We're a bunch of wrong 'uns.

Anyway, the telly show. I normally utter words like 'Pshaw!' when people complain about mumbling as I haven't had a problem before but the sound was truly bad this time. It will be interesting to see if it is different tonight if it really was a transmission fault.

Other than having to really concentrate on the spoken words, I rather enjoyed it. Maybe I have low standards but I thought Jessica F-B was great and I like all the other main actors very much. Maybe some of the characters don't quite look right. I have a slight telly crush on Sean Harris and I know he can do cruelty and pathos very well but as people have said he isn't a massive, menacing, hulk of a man.

I loved the gothic gloom inside the Inn. Some of those carvings on the bar seemed Jacobean in style so I guess they were going for a decrepit old gloomy fortress of a building. The magical selfcleaning dress amused me a bit (I wish I had one.)

When I read the book as a teenager, I thought everything was very dark, moody, it always rained and everyone was seriously grumpy and violent - so the show is fulfilling that brief for me.

I will definitely be watching it tonight anyway...
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm - I'm not sure I'm buying this excuse that there was a problem with the transmission which affected the sound quality.

For me the problem was the mumbling dialogue - these are problems from filming & editing, not from transmission.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm - I'm not sure I'm buying this excuse that there was a problem with the transmission which affected the sound quality.

For me the problem was the mumbling dialogue - these are problems from filming & editing, not from transmission.

Me neither!

Exactly the same issues that ended up sinking Ripper Street.

Hard to believe that nobody at the BBC actually sat and watched this prior to broadcast on a domestic TV, but I guess that's what you get in an organisation where most senior staff are more interested in their next career move, rather producing the best quality television for fee payers.

Having said all that, I will be sticking with it, I love the story and the setting and the locations are beautiful - though mixing the filming of the moorland scenes between Yorkshire and Cornwall was a mistake.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know what you mean. I think the combination of bad sound transmission and mumbling combined to produce 'the perfect storm' of incomprehensibility. :D

I'll be back tonight of course, but with the subtitles on this time. :)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never even recognised him as Dudley from The Paradise until I looked up the IMDB entry for Jamaica Inn - looks quite different.

I can't help with your query, but I didn't think Joss was flirting, I thought he was giving the silk out of admiration for Mary for helping the other guys drag the boat to shore (or whatever they were doing), not normally a task for women back then I reckon. But she didn't take it as she didn't want to be rewarded for the smuggling she despises.
    That said I've not read the book, seen the film, etc, so the original author's or BBC producer's intention might be different to mine.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I liked it. I thought Sean Harris was fine in his acting ability. I didn't find it too dark and I could understand the voices fine. The music wasn't loud. Maybe I have better ears but I honestly can't see what people are whining about. You are always disappointed when you read a novel then watch the film.
  • Richard TaylorRichard Taylor Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way was this a "transmission" problem.
    That would suggest that there was no editorial review and no one listening during transmission. I know the beeb have de-staffed a lot, but it also suggests no one in the beeb around the UK noticed the poor sound quality and rang London. Maybe things have changed since I retired, but I'd have been straight on the blower to the Duty Manager to tell him!

Richard
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I liked it. I thought Sean Harris was fine in his acting ability. I didn't find it too dark and I could understand the voices fine. The music wasn't loud. Maybe I have better ears but I honestly can't see what people are whining about. You are always disappointed when you read a novel then watch the film.

Then you are very lucky. I can only suggest you google 'sound problems Jamaica Inn' to realise how many of us, (with previously perfect hearing), could barely hear a word any of the men said. The show's writer has expressed her own shock and dismay at the sound quality, (which mysteriously was apparently perfectly fine during the rushes and previews).
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I hope they don't have really naff faux Cornish accents...

Wouldn't know. Couldn't hear much of it.
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We turned over after fifteen minutes. I'd sooner watch paint dry!
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to echo what everyone else is saying, the sound quality was atrocious, probably the worst I've ever come across. Totally indecipherable at times.

On a par with Birdsong. I think the BBC think's it's trendy not to be able to hear a programme.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Maybe it was a blessing we couldn't hear a bloody word. It was turgid tripe from the outset. A fine story completely ruined by substandard PC writing and shoddy production values. A huge letdown.

I didn't think it was very well-written, but in what possible way was it "PC"? :confused:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    6.1m viewers last night. I wonder if this drama will hold the record for the biggest loss of viewers for it's 2nd episode in BBC history.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    Seems everyone is urging to rewatch on IPlayer.
    No I dont want to go and sit at the computer in a office chair and have to watch something I was quite comfortably watching in a armchair, as for watching on a phone or a IPad no chance.
    Another lost viewer here.

Sky, Virgin, Freesat, YouView, PS3, Chromecast, Roku, Smart TV, Blu-ray etc. etc.

There are a myriad of ways to watch iPlayer through a TV.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    6.1m viewers last night. I wonder if this drama will hold the record for the biggest loss of viewers for it's 2nd episode in BBC history.

I'm wondering whether this thread will hold the record for the biggest loss of moaners... sorry posters for its 2nd episode in DS history.

My hunch is NO. :D
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alycidon wrote: »
    We turned over after fifteen minutes. I'd sooner watch paint dry!

It was utterly vile, the script if you could call it that was atrocious and methinks the writer of this adaptation should reimburse the BBC for providing such shoddy shite.

Findlay Brown has still to master the art of acting, her parents must be so proud of their little embarrassment, on the whole the casting was a mess, the lighting of the set was poor and it was quite clear this was Jamaica Inn Yorkshire style. Even last years White Queen was better than this but only for comedic value, this has nothing going for it.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be just me watching tonight! I really enjoyed it. :D
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the explanation for not having an albino vicar by the writer:-

Emma Frost: “From the script point of view…it’s interesting…the thing about him being an albino is, it’s a physical manifestation of his freakishness. And that’s how it’s described. And he says in the novel that he’s a freak of nature. He’s actually described almost as a hermaphrodite. He has a soft voice like a woman and he has long eye lashes like a woman. So du Maurier kind of fuses male and female into one and that’s sort of the basis of his freakishness and it’s also why Mary doesn’t find him threatening at all. What was important for me was to try and find a different way to dramatise what du Maurier does within one character, which you can do in a novel because it’s all in the description and in how Mary responds to him. So actually in my version he’s sort of split into two. So he’s split back into the male and female version. So that’s why his sister appears, so that there is still the male and female and they’re transgressive and threating and slightly sexually odd in a slightly different way.”
    In the book he was warped and twisted from being 'different' - it made him hate his fellow man. Also he seemed sexless rather than feminine and therefore less threatening in a very male world. Ben Daniels, whilst being a fine actor, did not convince imo.
    I think the real reasons they went that way is a) political correctness
    b) difficult to cast c) expensive to use disguise actor as being an Albino.
    The rest of that little speech from Emma Frost is the usual management bollocks!
This discussion has been closed.