Options

[Game] The Mix Factor 5: Live Show #9

Comments

• Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Standing Ovation*

Wow! Steph, that was yet another incredible song choice, even street lights better than your first one. The beginning was simply luxurious to listen to with the electro-pop vibe, but when the beats kicked in, it just got stronger and stronger. You are the true definition of a darkhorse and I believe you are heading to the semi-final after that performance. Absolutely outstanding! :D

Oh and I shall be adding this song to my Spotify Playlist! .:cool:
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin contradicted himself and I just do not understand how this sort of urban song can be called MOR? And lack of direction - really Kevin? :confused:

The MOR thing - for me, personally, the song was nice but it felt like a pretty standard R & B ballad, it was kind of generic R & B for my liking although I thought there were parts of the second song which sounded very Gap 5, which I acknowledged, I preferred it to the first track.

As for lack of direction, you have addressed that recently but to begin with, they were given urban pop, R & B, mature soul, even that weird Delta Goodrem song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Stephanie Ravn
    *Standing Ovation*

Ohhh Stephanie.....that was out of this world. I really have nothing bad to say. I know I am bias as I'm your mentor but I couldn't be prouder. It just suited you so well. It had that dark, quirky sound and also, the vocals were a lot more powerful than your first performance which made it even better. For me, this was the best performance of the night and you proved that you deserve to be in the semi-final. You have been one of the most consistent acts in this competition and I have absolutely loved mentoring you and you just have made me so proud. I don't think anyone would have predicted you to have made this far so I must have done something right. I can't express how much I want you to be here again next week so everyone please get your PMs ready and vote for my Stephanie. Amazing job girlll!!!!
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like I've listened to that Atlas Genius song (If So) like a million times now thanks to Roxie in TF :p
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Look Steph that was beautiful and I like this Young Summer song. Your lower range fit the song well but the higher bits seemed a bit out of place like it just felt quirky as it were. As for direction you've had two very dream pop performances which I like - it's interesting and not something you've done before. I think this was better than the first song but felt slightly MOR dream pop as in there was very little development in the song itself.

Also I'm going to say this now actually to both Haris and Steph because I feel it applies equally well to both. I've actually grown immensely fond of you both! You have always been at the top of my votes (except for Barne) and I think your mentors have done some amazing choices. However, what I feel has been lacking this week is that both songs for both acts have had a change of direction with two songs that sound distinctly the same. I really wish that Haris could have shown both his indie pop AND his folk side while Steph could have shown off both this interesting dream pop side AND her indie pop thing that she was doing. There's been something about this theme that feels missing in both performances and that's the difference bit. Anyway just a random thought...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    I feel like I've listened to that Atlas Genius song (If So) like a million times now thanks to Roxie in TF :p

haha back when we were our amazing team <3
  • Options
    EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good comments for Stephanie tonight, her mentor must be quite happy. Will the public flock to support her tonight?

Closing tonight's quarterfinal, it's our bottom 2 veterans Rikke & Trine singing a song with a title that's actually not very apt.

Slow Motion by Haerts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrD9mVW3-U
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls, whilst I thought this was a bit less impressive than your first song, I still think it was a good one. The choice was quite catchy, but I was left feeling like I wanted you to give it more than that. But overall, out of all of the acts tonight, you've shown the biggest difference between the two songs you've had so you've had a good night for me. A good performance to close the show girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look Steph that was beautiful and I like this Young Summer song. Your lower range fit the song well but the higher bits seemed a bit out of place like it just felt quirky as it were. As for direction you've had two very dream pop performances which I like - it's interesting and not something you've done before. I think this was better than the first song but felt slightly MOR dream pop as in there was very little development in the song itself.

First off, the higher bits seem out of place? Stephanie always does that in her performances, going from low to high :confused:

And MOR...someone has not got over my comment for Gap 5 :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephanie Ravn: This was a better song choice than the first, there's still questions in my head as to whether the song really suited your style as I feel like the artist was too quirky for your voice but at the same time, it wasn't bad. To get back on track completely, I'd like to see your mentor looking at the style of your amazing song last week and taking it from there as that was the route where you excell and I feel like although this might just see you into next week, the song wasn't winning material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rikke & Trine
    Girls, that was definitely a more interesting performance than your first but I think it suited you less. I thought that the vocals were again too young sounding for you and the style wasn't right. It was a remix that was quite upbeat and didn't suit the sultry pop-folk thing you had going on. I did love that you tried something new though and took a risk. Overall, a pretty good close to the show and I wish you the best of luck in the vote as you have been an incredible act!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and thanks for the comments for Steph, Steve :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And so we end the show with some mixed comments for Rikke & Trine. Will they get a rebound vote or is it too late for such a thing?

As always, the summary post should be up within the next couple of minutes. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rikki and Trine: Now THIS I really liked girls! I loved that it had such a unique sound to it, it was totally different to most of the performances that you have given so far but there was something about those quirky, unique vocals that really set it apart as something quite different and special. I have a feeling you girls will be here next week, this was the absolute perfect song for you two
  • Options
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    The MOR thing - for me, personally, the song was nice but it felt like a pretty standard R & B ballad, it was kind of generic R & B for my liking although I thought there were parts of the second song which sounded very Gap 5, which I acknowledged, I preferred it to the first track.

As for lack of direction, you have addressed that recently but to begin with, they were given urban pop, R & B, mature soul, even that weird Delta Goodrem song.

Sorry my phone ran out of battery. :blush:

Anyway they do have a direction - I always make sure of that, giving them mostly R&B influenced pop songs - the M.O song, Ginny Blackmore song, the Lena Fayre song, even Tove Lo. I actually remember something you said about the M.O. song and that was that Gap 5 had more of a mature R&B vibe so that's exactly what I was trying to hit with the first song but nevertheless the goals of critique seem to change show after show.

I'll let the public decide what to think tonight tbh and yes a bad song choice in terms of suitability back in Week 2 was it? I think the Innocent Eyes critique is so mean tbh - it's not weird...:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That marks the end of the performance show folks! The top 5 have done all they possibly could to convince you to vote them through to the semifinal. There are no more safety nets such as sing-offs for your favourites, so your vote is the only thing that stands between them and finishing in 5th place.

Here's a recap of tonight's performances:
    1. Haris Alagic - Talk Through The Night by Dog Is Dead
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTLJP74bLg
    Note: Haris would have a band accompanying him who would provide back up vocals.

2. Gap5 - Letter To My Ex by Tanya Lacey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhW4LF2vp2o

3. BadBoyzTrojans by Atlas Genius
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2yr12abg8

4. Stephanie Ravn - Fever Dream by Young Summer
    [URL=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioWRyu9npk[/URL]

5. Rikke & Trine - Wings by Haerts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk52XHSpmF4

6. Haris Alagic - Do The Right Thing by Dog Is Dead
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K7RzhAHvCM

7. Gap 5 - Now That You're Gone by Tanya Lacey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlElJG2rnZ8

8. BadBoyzIf So by Atlas Genius
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3Gv1udO5Y

9. Stephanie Ravn - Taken by Young Summer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INPmYrl3ip4

10. Rikke & Trine Slow Motion by Haerts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrD9mVW3-U

For those of you interested in the mentors' explanations as to why their songs fit the Same Difference theme:
    Haris Alagic: One song is much faster and pacier than the other song which has a much more stripped back, simplistic backing and is slower.

Gap5: The difference is that the first song is more traditional R&B like the type Kevin wanted then the second is more party R&B like they've been doing. Also the undertone of the first song is more positive than the second which is more like a ballad.

BadBoyz: The difference is in the meanings, one’s personal, deeper and about love while the second is an observation about people and meant to be more motivational to other people. Also the first song is more slow and emotional while the second song is more fast and fun.

Stephanie Ravn: Note: This is different to the other as the vocals are a lot more powerful, has less of a beat and is more of a ballad.

Rikke & Trine: The difference is in the genre of music and pace of songs – the first is more dreamy kind of folk, a lot more downtempo and more focused on vocals; the second is more synth based indie pop, has a faster beat and more based on performance – perfect for showing both sides of Rikke and Trine.
    To vote, all you have to do is rank the acts 5-1 (with 5 being your favourite act and 1 being your least favourite) and send these rankings to me by PM. Mentors can vote as well, even for their own acts.

The lines will close at the later time of 9:30 PM as there's no more sing-offs that make for long results shows. This means you have about 75 minutes to get your votes in, so y'all better get to it. ;-)

As always, feel free to discuss the show with me and the judges here on this thread while you wait for the results.
  • Options
    Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favs: Gap5 and Steph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really don't know how to rank. I think the only act safe is BadBoyz tbh :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Favs: Gap5 and Steph

Have I ever told you how much i love you Arran? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pingu58011 wrote: »
    First off, the higher bits seem out of place? Stephanie always does that in her performances, going from low to high :confused:

And MOR...someone has not got over my comment for Gap 5 :(

I was referring to the higher range being too overly quirky. :)

And not really I just found that a bit MOR. Pingu my comments rarely have anything to do with these minor skirmishes. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was referring to the higher range being too overly quirky. :)

And not really I just found that a bit MOR. Pingu my comments rarely have anything to do with these minor skirmishes. :blush:

Oh right, I get ya now <3

And MOR. How dare you? :o:p Isn't it strange how the 2 acts who were said to be MOR by 1/2 people were both Arrans favourites? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two faves really stormed it tonight for me. :D

I do not have a clue on who'll be leaving tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry forgot to do this...:blush:

Girls what a fab catchy song! I like to stay within the spirit of theme and that's the fact that it should be two songs which feel distinctly different from each other - i.e. showing two facets of the artistry. Anyways, so your first song felt like a typical Haerts performance - folksy, eerie and vocally orientated but then this song completely changes everything, the beat is faster, it's more electronic and it feels more indie pop. I feel while one song has shown off your vocals, the other one lends itself to giving a fantastic performance. It's fantastic Kevin liked it too - great job girls! :kitty: Still will never forgive him for insulting Tanya Lacey but he can have flawless music (except when it comes to Gap 5 :kitty:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha Roxie, that has to be the most delayed comment on a performance I have seen so far. 32 minutes! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and Roxie, I have a bone to pick with your Gap 5 girls. When they were on the X-factor, they got rid of my amazing Anna in the sing-off >:(