Betting suspended on Brucie's replacement...

Comments

• hobheyhobhey Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I think Steven Mulhearn would be great, good presenter and also very good live.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he on an ITV contract though?
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Rumours on DS UKTV thread that Miranda Hart is being lined up by the BBC to host a new version of The Generation game.
    If true then
    a) It rules her out as Presenter of Strictly (she is a huge fan)
    b) possible BBC1 Saturday line-up straight out of the Bill Cotton scheduling handbook.

Doctor Who
    Generation Game
    Strictly
    Casualty
    News
    Match of the Day

Loving it !!!!

And me!
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hobhey wrote: »
    I think Steven Mulhearn would be great, good presenter and also very good live.

Hullo there Steven *waves* :D
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tess - Claudia combo worked perfectly well last year and viewing figures were up on the shows presented by Forsyth. The producers would be unwise to unnecessarily tamper with a winning formula just to shoehorn in another pap male.

But then again I think the "Tess - Claudia" combo could become tiresome quite quickly and I doubt the calibre of celebrity dancers alone would keep a lot of people watching without some form of entertainer out front to engage them.
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    But then again I think the "Tess - Claudia" combo could become tiresome quite quickly and I doubt the calibre of celebrity dancers alone would keep a lot of people watching without some form of entertainer out front to engage them.
    And yet in every other country that is part of the franchise, they have presenters hosting the show rather than entertainers and the shows engage the audience perfectly well. Try watching some clips of Dancing with the Stars US online and pay particular note to the host, Tom Bergeron. He's a presenter, not an entertainer, and he's very, very good.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked how Tess didn't in any way attempt to hog the limelight. It enabled me to hear what the 'experts' had to say and observe how the contestants dealt with what was being said.

If the BBC is serious about resurrecting the Generation Game then maybe there's only so much ham we can take before we all start to choke :D
  • hobheyhobhey Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Ha Ha Trevy, yes I know its my first post (its taken years) but I'm female and not Steven! I do think he would be very good (if he switched to beeb). I don't know if anybody remembers but he used to present the Dancing on Ice live aftershow, very good live presenter. Could always do a trick if anything went wrong, and has a nice balance of serious/humour.
  • jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    What about Michael Ball as the new host of Strictly? a family friendly stage performer who knows how to interact with people and crowds, I think he would be an ideal candidate for the job.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    1. You won't get anyone who is liked by everyone.
    2. Why do they need to tell a joke? It's about celebs learning to dance, not a comedy programme.
    3. There are many who have had experience of live TV.
    4. Why do they need to know about dancing? They're not doing the dancing, just introducing each pair and linking between them and the judges. They're also not there to add to the judges comment as Fforsyth did - the host isn't a judge so should leave all comments about the dancing to them..

Just because Fforsyth tried to make it the Bruce Forsyth Show, doesn't mean his replacement has to try and make it all about them - it isn't.

Claudia might annoy you, but she doesn't annoy everyone. She has great empathy with those she's talking to, a quick wit, definite humour and doesn't make it me, me, me; unlike the previous host. Personally I find her very likeable.

There's not a ,large choice of presenters with a lot of live TV experience. There's a reason why Schofield and O Leary, and Ant and Dec present almost everything major thats live on ITV, and why there's only 5 or 6 female presenters people now use successfully on big shows. Its difficult taling and listening to an earpiece at the same time, looking right, being a safe pair of hands, and running a major show to time.

if the presenter has no entertainment or dancing knowledge, and can't tell a joke, there's absolutely no reason to have two presenters at all. The less they say the better - as any comments on performance will lack credibility, and someone like Claudia will be dangerous if they try and add humour. .If they just need someone competent on live tv to introduce people, hold hands, cover up any incidents, and stand by the contestants and ask an innane question or two at the end, Tess could do all of that.

SCD hasn't run like that. The humour has been central, and Bruce has been credible enough deploying his own experience, to counter the sillier judges marking and offer a different persepective. Thats been necessary as the marking standards have been poor in some recent years, and the tone of the show tends to the mean without a moderating effect. The banter between judges, and between the judges and presenter, has been central. You could take that all away, but you would effectively be dumbing down the show, and would either end up with less of a show, or worse, have the judges trying to fill the space with even more panto marking.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    There's not a ,large choice of presenters with a lot of live TV experience. There's a reason why Schofield and O Leary, and Ant and Dec present almost everything major thats live on ITV, and why there's only 5 or 6 female presenters people now use successfully on big shows. Its difficult taling and listening to an earpiece at the same time, looking right, being a safe pair of hands, and running a major show to time.

if the presenter has no entertainment or dancing knowledge, and can't tell a joke, there's absolutely no reason to have two presenters at all. The less they say the better - as any comments on performance will lack credibility, and someone like Claudia will be dangerous if they try and add humour. .If they just need someone competent on live tv to introduce people, hold hands, cover up any incidents, and stand by the contestants and ask an innane question or two at the end, Tess could do all of that.

SCD hasn't run like that. The humour has been central, and Bruce has been credible enough deploying his own experience, to counter the sillier judges marking and offer a different persepective. Thats been necessary as the marking standards have been poor in some recent years, and the tone of the show tends to the mean without a moderating effect. The banter between judges, and between the judges and presenter, has been central. You could take that all away, but you would effectively be dumbing down the show, and would either end up with less of a show, or worse, have the judges trying to fill the space with even more panto marking.
    As has been said many times, DWTS doesn't have a Fforsyth figure at its head and is highly successful.

The show needs two people - one to link between the celebs and judges and another to control the what's popularly called the "Tesspit".

I see the Radio Times did a poll, with Anton coming out first and Claudia second. They also added that many had written in saying the didn't want John Barrowman!
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The humour has been central, and Bruce has been credible enough deploying his own experience, to counter the sillier judges marking and offer a different persepective. Thats been necessary as the marking standards have been poor in some recent years, and the tone of the show tends to the mean without a moderating effect. The banter between judges, and between the judges and presenter, has been central. You could take that all away, but you would effectively be dumbing down the show, and would either end up with less of a show, or worse, have the judges trying to fill the space with even more panto marking.

I think the aforementioned Mr Bergeron on DWTS fulfils that role in a different manner; he brings an appropriate level of irreverence to the proceedings without "telling jokes" as such. One example | recall that still amuses me is his ribbing of Steve Guttenberg's slightly Donavan-esque outlook on appearing on the show "Steve is changing the world one lousy score at a time" :D
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Michael Ball as the new host of Strictly? a family friendly stage performer who knows how to interact with people and crowds, I think he would be an ideal candidate for the job.

I agree. A very experienced performer as well as radio presenter, with a good personality. Mentally sharp too, quick on his feet. I think he would do a very professional job and I think he would be fun too.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I agree. A very experienced performer as well as radio presenter, with a good personality. Mentally sharp too, quick on his feet. I think he would do a very professional job and I think he would be fun too.

Do you not think he is a bit of a big girl's blouse? :p

(I appreciate that the answer to this might well be "no", or, quite equally "yes, and so what?")

:D
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »

If you think he'd be "fun" then what you want is a comedy variety show.

This ain't. We just need someone to introduce the dancers, less rabbit would mean more dance. That's what the show's s'pposed to be about isn't it. Not a vehicle to promote another "look at me's" career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wave "Bye, bye" to family audiences who might not want to watch a boring dance show.

I've said it before, if it turns into a pure dance show then whack it on BBC3 at 10pm rather than in the Saturday evening variety slot.
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Wave "Bye, bye" to family audiences who might not want to watch a boring dance show.

I've said it before, if it turns into a pure dance show then whack it on BBC3 at 10pm rather than in the Saturday evening variety slot.
    Erm, it's called 'Strictly Come Dancing' not 'Strictly come Comedy' or 'Strictly Come Bruce Forsyth/other presenter'.

I you think the dancing is boring, then you must be bored for a lot of it. But then you're like those of us who were bored through the Fforsyth bits if we didn't mute or FF them.

I see that Graham Norton has said he doesn't want the job, but Vernon Kay has said he'd jump at the chance. Bruno Tonioli is another of those backing Claudia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not called "Come dancing" either.

I enjoy the comedy banter between Bruce, the contestants and the judges. Yes, there are some right groaners of gags, but that appeals to my sense of humour.

I hang around this forum on Saturday nights to find out the result so that I don't have to sit and fast forward through the results show just to find out who is eliminated.

I grew up with the comparing style of Bruce Forsyth, Bob Monkhouse, Michael Barrymore, Jim Bowen etc (Yes, I watch the re-runs on Challenge) so a pure non-interactive style of comparing would be a complete turn off for me.

I don't tend to like "entertainment" shows where there is no element of audience participation, even if it's just the odd groaner of a joke.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people think it's the hosts job to just introduce the couples then shut up, why not have Alan Dedicoat do it?
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hobhey wrote: »
    Ha Ha Trevy, yes I know its my first post (its taken years) but I'm female and not Steven! I do think he would be very good (if he switched to beeb). I don't know if anybody remembers but he used to present the Dancing on Ice live aftershow, very good live presenter. Could always do a trick if anything went wrong, and has a nice balance of serious/humour.

Yes, I do remember, he was absolutely useless on Defrosted! And after a couple of series, ITV2 ditched the show. Stephen Mulhearn has got to be the thickest presenter on TV. His range of knowledge and vocabulary is so limited, that's why Defrosted failed, and who wants to hear a presenter start every sentence with "D'ya know what?" ??? That's all he ever says! Fine if you're larking about on BGMoreT, taking the piss out of the contestants or Ant & Dec, but frankly, hosting a primetime BBC show is way out of his depth and league, so no, definitely NOT Stephen Mulhearn. Can you imagine him mangling "Artem Chigvintsev"? His face would go bright red, and it'd be more embarrassing than Bruce on a bad day. I'm constantly amazed how Stephen Mulhearn ever got on TV in the first place! :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned it on another "Who should replace Bruce?" thread but, impossible as it might be, I'd like to see Michael Crawford take this on.

He has plenty of live audience experience.
    He is musical.
    He can successfully be either straight and comedic as required.
    It's too long since we've seen him on our screens.

However, he's probably far too busy to even consider such a role, and the BBC probably couldn't afford him now. :(
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Crawford is way too old at 72. Age limit should be about 60, and I wish we could have an age limit on the contestants too ! I have seen that Brian Conley is touring in Barnum this Autumn so I guess that rules him out of the running.
    Forum Member
    Michael Crawford is way too old at 72. Age limit should be about 60, and I wish we could have an age limit on the contestants too ! I have seen that Brian Conley is touring in Barnum this Autumn so I guess that rules him out of the running.
    Age discrimination is not allowed any more. Fforsyth was 76 when the series started. A person can be rejected for any reason other than age or gender. You'll have to find another reason for Michael Crawford not being suitable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey, I didn't realise he was that age. :o

I guess in my mind I still see him as he was in "Some mothers .." and "Phantom ..".

It would still be nice to see him on the telly again. :)
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Yes, I do remember, he was absolutely useless on Defrosted! And after a couple of series, ITV2 ditched the show. Stephen Mulhearn has got to be the thickest presenter on TV. His range of knowledge and vocabulary is so limited, that's why Defrosted failed, and who wants to hear a presenter start every sentence with "D'ya know what?" ??? That's all he ever says! Fine if you're larking about on BGMoreT, taking the piss out of the contestants or Ant & Dec, but frankly, hosting a primetime BBC show is way out of his depth and league, so no, definitely NOT Stephen Mulhearn. Can you imagine him mangling "Artem Chigvintsev"? His face would go bright red, and it'd be more embarrassing than Bruce on a bad day. I'm constantly amazed how Stephen Mulhearn ever got on TV in the first place! :confused:

Jane and Chris clearly hated him too.:D