Shelving

fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone recommend any decent open shelving for my gear?

Quite like the look of these in Ikea - but was wondering if there are some better alternatives

Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on what you mean by "gear".

However, if what you want is to support your HiFi and TV, then the shelving system you've highlighted are absolutely UNsuitable.

Go for something very very stable and freestanding. Vibration is a big problem with hi-fi (less so with video, of course) because you can easily set off sympathetic vibrations with the sound being played, which can lead to increased read errors with digital players, such as CD players. So while you might not hear much of a difference, the amount of reading and rereading that occurs can lead to stuttering.

It was even more noticeable in the days of the turntable record player, where vibration could cause groove jumping in severe cases, especially those turntables and tonearms that were rated to have ultra low weight and counterweight settings.

Main front pair speakers (and where possible all surround speakers) also need to be very firmly planted on the ground. I use silver sand and carpet spikes in mine, which really does help them maintain "focus".

Of course, if it's just to support your games machines/computers, then fine - so long as the shelves are deep enough front to back.