Norman Taylor, inventor of HOWLAROUND, has died

chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
Forum Member
✭✭
From Gallifreynewsbase:

<<<<<<<<<

Norman Taylor was a BBC Technical Operations Manager on Crew 9 based at Lime Grove in London. He was the man who, while experimenting with a camera looking at a monitor showing its own picture, made the serendipitous discovery of "visual howlaround" - the effect that was subsequently used for Doctor Who's original title sequence.

I got the usual effect of diminishing images of the monitor disappearing into limbo, when suddenly some stray light hit the monitor screen and the whole picture went mobile with swirling patterns of black and white. Later I repeated the experiment but fed a black and white caption mixed with the camera output to the monitor, and very soon got the Dr Who effect.

The original titles for Doctor Who are believed to have been recorded in August 1963 in an empty TC5 at Television Centre. Bernard Lodge, who was credited for the sequence, was in the gallery and Norman Taylor lighting matches to trigger the howl-round. Hugh Sheppard was on the camera at the time.

Taylor was later given a Technical Suggestion award of £25.00 for his howl-round idea which featured in various forms in the title sequence until 1980, when it was replaced by the star-field effect.

>>>>>>>

That "howlaround" effect still looks space age, 50yrs later, and is an essential part of what made Doctor Who unique in its earliest years.

Thanks, Mr Taylor.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Thanks, Mr Taylor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    made a lasting impression....genius.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely there's no howlaround after 1973? Pertwee's last year and Baker's first six are slit scan + some standard compositing.

Kudos to anyone, like Taylor, who can creatively harness an otherwise unexplored effect of a technology. You've really got to be on top of your game for that sort of thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am Norman's daughter. On behalf of the family I would like to say a huge thank you for starting the forum and for all your posts. We are all hugely proud of his achievements and are delighted and overwhelmed by all the messages that have been left.

Thank you once again for all your tributes they are a huge source of comfort to us.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am Norman's daughter. On behalf of the family I would like to say a huge thank you for starting the forum and for all your posts. We are all hugely proud of his achievements and are delighted and overwhelmed by all the messages that have been left.

Thank you once again for all your tributes they are a huge source of comfort to us.

Very sorry for your loss. You're father was clearly a technically gifted man :-)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The news about your father was indeed sad, but you are right to feel so proud of him and his achievements.

I am glad you and your family are able to take comfort from the messages on this forum.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who has had any kind of involvement with Doctor Who will have their passing noted. I don't think I even knew Mr Taylor''s name, as I had just taken his work for granted. It's such an integral part of early DW that I never really considered it.

TEDR's comment is very astute: anyone who can seize something that is seen every day, can play around with it, and can turn it into something unique, really is someone very farsighted and very special.

I am so glad the Taylor family have found this thread.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

I'm sorry for your loss, his discovery is as important as Delia Derbyshire's composition imo. It is sad that, only now, we find out his name.

:(
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm very sorry for your loss. He created something that had never been seen before and you should be proud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ? eh who is he ? ax:confused::confused:
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinny wrote: »
    ? eh who is he ? ax:confused::confused:

It would seem the opening post answers this question :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry whoops , I rest my case ax:(:o
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resurrecting this ye olde, venerable thread ... it's fifty years to the day since Norman Taylor, Bernard Lodge and Hugh Sheppard worked their magic and began to create the Doctor Who opening titles sequence!

Bernard Lodge is still alive and kicking, and I am chuffed to have got his autograph a little while ago.

All three of these gents are unsung heroes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resurrecting this ye olde, venerable thread ... it's fifty years to the day since Norman Taylor, Bernard Lodge and Hugh Sheppard worked their magic and began to create the Doctor Who opening titles sequence!

Bernard Lodge is still alive and kicking, and I am chuffed to have got his autograph a little while ago.

All three of these gents are unsung heroes.

Hear, hear.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep on howlin'. **raises beer stein**