Tales Of The Unexpected

MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
Forum Member
✭✭
Any other fans out there?? Thoroughly love the first 3 series. "The Flypaper" is the most chilling one I've seen up to now.

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been recording this during the day on (of all places) Sky Arts 2! Some of them are absolutely fantastic - 'The Flypaper' (also on Youtube, I believe) being particularly haunting and distressing. It's actually difficult to watch, it's so chilling.

Unfortunately Sky Arts 2 now seems to have moved on to a later series which features the mostly American (and mostly dull) stories as opposed to the brilliant early ones. IIRC, it was around the time of these episodes that the reviews initially started terming the show 'Tales of the Bleedin' Obvious'!
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I saw Sky Arts 2 were showing them, but, as you say, they're the later ones and I don't find them as engaging as the early ones when they were under Roald Dahl's title.The episodes from the first 3 series I can watch over and over.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like this series, and the haunting theme tune is a bonus as well. I used to watch this sometimes when I was young, back in the eighties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Yes I saw Sky Arts 2 were showing them, but, as you say, they're the later ones and I don't find them as engaging as the early ones when they were under Roald Dahl's title.The episodes from the first 3 series I can watch over and over.

Sky Arts 2 are labelling the current crop of episodes as 'new' in their information boxes (new to the channel, of course). Beforehand they were showing the earlier series on a loop - and I hope that means that once they're through with the later series, they go back once again to the beginning. I really ought to invest in the boxed sets though.

Another thing I love about this show is seeing all the old character actors (and sometimes much more famous faces) cropping up. Everyone from Joan Collins and Stephanie Cole to Pauline Collins, John Alderton, John Mills and Brian Blessed. Marvellous stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Another thing I love about this show is seeing all the old character actors (and sometimes much more famous faces) cropping up. Everyone from Joan Collins and Stephanie Cole to Pauline Collins, John Alderton, John Mills and Brian Blessed. Marvellous stuff!

Yes, and the select few appeared more than once. I know John Mills was in 'The Umbrella Man' , 'Galloping Foxley' and I think a couple of others. Joan Collins was in 'Georgy Porgy' and 'Neck'. I loved spotting the star :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, and the select few appeared more than once. I know John Mills was in 'The Umbrella Man' , 'Galloping Foxley' and I think a couple of others. Joan Collins was in 'Georgy Porgy' and 'Neck'. I loved spotting the star :D

Joan Collins also cropped up in 'A Girl Can't Always Have Everything' alongside Pauline Collins (after starring in 'Georgy Porgy' alongside the latter's real life husband). :D

I loved 'The Umbrella Man' and 'Galloping Foxley', as I like John Mills. His turn in the former was great - I half-expected his character to be something more frightening than what he turned out to be! A great little story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved 'The Umbrella Man' and 'Galloping Foxley', as I like John Mills. His turn in the former was great - I half-expected his character to be something more frightening than what he turned out to be! A great little story.

I couldn't figure him out at all in 'The Umbrella Man' when he first turned up in it.There was obviously something off with him, but I just couldn't work out what it was. That's what I like about the early episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't figure him out at all in 'The Umbrella Man' when he first turned up in it.There was obviously something off with him, but I just couldn't work out what it was. That's what I like about the early episodes.

Exactly, having seen 'The Flypaper' first I really just did not know what to expect. The show had really terrified me so much in that episode (and crossed such an uncomfortable line) that anything could have happened! In fact, what is so great about this show (the early episodes at least) is how wildly different the episodes were. From chilling endings like that in 'The Flypaper', 'Lamb to the Slaughter', 'The Landlady' (horrific!) or 'Skin', there were still the upbeat of humorous twists of 'The Hitch-hiker' or 'A Picture of a Place'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, having seen 'The Flypaper' first I really just did not know what to expect. The show had really terrified me so much in that episode (and crossed such an uncomfortable line) that anything could have happened! In fact, what is so great about this show (the early episodes at least) is how wildly different the episodes were. From chilling endings like that in 'The Flypaper', 'Lamb to the Slaughter', 'The Landlady' (horrific!) or 'Skin', there were still the upbeat of humorous twists of 'The Hitch-hiker' or 'A Picture of a Place'.

:eek: 'TheLandlandy' was horrible! Seriously frightening. Think 'The Flypaper' just had the edge on that (imo) because it was a young girl involved and it threw that false sense of security at you I really didn't see that twist coming.

And you're right about the variety in episodes. It went through the entire spectrum. The dark episodes were just as well done as the light-hearted ones.
  • Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fan of the series here. I have quite a few of the seasons on DVD, and I agree the Landlady and the Flypaper were very chilling episodes indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nollaig79 wrote: »
    Another fan of the series here. I have quite a few of the seasons on DVD, and I agree the Landlady and the Flypaper were very chilling episodes indeed.

They were :eek::( Very well done though.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,783
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan. Been waiting TWO M|ONTHS for a well known internet company to send me series 7 brand new!

My general faves though I can't remember the names of them is the one where the guy opens up his own tea shops and becomes big in business having been stiched up by the church he used to work for.

The one where a stupud jealous hitman bumps off an old school mate he was and is still jealous of by way of poison.

The "stinker" one was a good one.

The one where a businessman picks up a hitchiker was very good. Loads of them are very good.
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Tales of the Totally Expected"

With the obligatory American actor in each episode, for US sales.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Flypaper always scared me the most as a child, probably because I was a child and so is the main character.

Sadly that storyline probably wouldn't get made nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The Flypaper always scared me the most as a child, probably because I was a child and so is the main character.

Sadly that storyline probably wouldn't get made nowadays.

Certainly wouldn't. It may be dated, but there seemed to be more creative freedom back then. How many complaints would there be about it now?! :rolleyes:
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved watching the The Landlady!-- very creepy!
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Any other fans out there?? Thoroughly love the first 3 series. "The Flypaper" is the most chilling one I've seen up to now.

It's good to see so many comments on "The Flypaper". It certainly was one of the most disturbing stories. I really liked Alfred Burke as an actor and he was pretty creepy in this episode. He had a good innings as he only died a year ago at the age of 92.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good to see so many comments on "The Flypaper". It certainly was one of the most disturbing stories. I really liked Alfred Burke as an actor and he was pretty creepy in this episode. He had a good innings as he only died a year ago at the age of 92.

He was. The whole 'overly-chatty' scene on the bus is really sinister.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the first couple of series when they were on in 1979/80 so had fond memories.
    Bought the complete boxset a couple of years ago.
    Couldn't get beyond the end of the second series.
    Dull and predictable sum them up perfectly.

A one line premise stretched to 25 minutes .
    I don't know about later episodes but the first 2 series nearly all had predictable endings that you could spot after the first few minutes.

I was under the impression that the Dahl stories were supposed to be the strongest so I didn't wait around to see many of those that he didn't write .

Disappointing

Anthology shows like Thriller , Hammer House of Horror and most others were far superior
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly wouldn't. It may be dated, but there seemed to be more creative freedom back then. How many complaints would there be about it now?! :rolleyes:

They should do it as a storyline on Eastenders. The national meltdown would be a sight to behold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    They should do it as a storyline on Eastenders. The national meltdown would be a sight to behold.

OfCom would probably explode!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone recall the one in which Derek Jacobi played the lovable local eccentric and conjuror, known only as 'Columbus'-who turned out to something more sinister than a harmless eccentric?
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC there was one story which involved a character eating Royal Jelly and turning into a bee?
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the one called Lamb to the slaughter
    The wife kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb.
    When the police come to investigate, she feed them with the now cooked lamb
    Brian Blessed played one of the policemen
    Susan George played the wife
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    IIRC there was one story which involved a character eating Royal Jelly and turning into a bee?

I remember that one too it was one of my favourites. Another one was where a man was having an affair and wanting to get rid of his wife so he could make a new life with his mistress but when he leaves his wife some chocolates it all goes horribly wrong. Great theme tune as well.