Options

Adele-Skyfall (90 second preview)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got an amazing entertainment centre and it sounds sublime, slinky, epic, purring. The violins building in at the end of the snippet really bring it life

And then imagine when you got a HQ MP3 or better a vinyl
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    Disappointing imo. Musically very predictable and the melody is kind of boring. I expected something better.

it had to be a james bond theme. if you expected it to sound like skooter then it was your expectations that were amiss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of Adele & while this song sounds like what you'd expect from a Bond theme....I absolutely Iove this snippet.

I think it will reach a great big bang crescendo at the end. Surely it has to- Adele can't sound so calm all the way through. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it had to be a james bond theme. if you expected it to sound like skooter then it was your expectations that were amiss.
    Don't be a fool. Not all Bond themes sound the same. If you read the thread you'll notice I'm not the only one who thinks it's a little too predictable. Words such as boring, bland, lazy, uninspired, parody etc. etc. have been used by other people.

I should say that I don't think it sounds bad or is a terrible song or anything, just that I expected the chorus especially to be bolder and more memorable and the music to be more inventive (using the classic Bond tune yet again is so tired imo).

But of course, you can't express an opinion on here without someone getting all offended and thinking you're sh*tting on their favorite artist. I'm waiting for someone to call me a "hater" next.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Don't be a fool. Not all Bond themes sound the same. If you read the thread you'll notice I'm not the only one who thinks it's a little too predictable. Words such as boring, bland, lazy, uninspired, parody etc. etc. have been used by other people.

I should say that I don't think it sounds bad or is a terrible song or anything, just that I expected the chorus especially to be bolder and more memorable and the music to be more inventive (using the classic Bond tune yet again is so tired imo).

But of course, you can't express an opinion on here without someone getting all offended and thinking you're sh*tting on their favorite artist. I'm waiting for someone to call me a "hater" next.

it's cos it's a short snippet you're coming over as making a rush to judgement with little to base it on. The most we can say is it either sounds promising or it doesn't.

now leave it till Friday ya hater ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From the preview, its a bit, err, meh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's cos it's a short snippet you're coming over as making a rush to judgement with little to base it on. The most we can say is it either sounds promising or it doesn't.

now leave it till Friday ya hater ;)
    No, it's because some people don't like it when someone has a different opinion on something they like. But as I've already said a few times we'll see if the rest of the song appeals more to those of us who don't rate it very highly at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cant really say that snippet did anything for me. But the last few bond movie songs have not been that great.

I dont care for modern music much and only really heard a few mentions of Adele and some pictures, sounds a bit 1950s/1960s Shirley Bassey attempt to me, but a big fail.
    Not inspired.

My favourite of all time is The Spy Who Loved Me: Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
    And a wonderful movie too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grazman wrote: »
    Not a classic bond theme - in the same catagory as World Is Not Enough, You Know My Name etc, ok but chorus is weak. Nothing that stands out for me. Think a lot of people are wearing rose-tinted glasses, just because its Adele.

5/10 (from the 90mins ive heard)

I love the chorus- for the past 2 hours I've done nothing but replay the snippet! If it stays on the same wavelength before building to a great big epic ending, it'll be amazing. Please don't let it venture off on a totally different tangent like Spaceman by Babylon Zoo!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I was kind of hoping it would be more creative... Inspired sounding, it's a little predictable but I love all things Adele, so I will love this too.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    The preview indicates that this song is going to be an outstanding Bond theme.

Personally I loved it.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    From the preview, its a bit, err, meh

Indeed. Limp and languid are the two words that sprang to my mind. They’re not really doing themselves any favours by just releasing a fragment - There needs to be a rise to a crescendo, some kind of punch to it which I don’t get from this snippet.

Having said that it already shits all over Audioslave, Jack White and bloody Madonna so a step in the right direction!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Indeed. Limp and languid are the two words that sprang to my mind. They’re not really doing themselves any favours by just releasing a fragment - There needs to be a rise to a crescendo, some kind of punch to it which I don’t get from this snippet.

Having said that it already shits all over Audioslave, Jack White and bloody Madonna so a step in the right direction!

From the music editor of Skyfall
    Tony Lewis‏@MusicEditorcouk

Wait for the middle 8 and where it goes pictorially...trippy.

18hTony Lewis‏@MusicEditorcouk

Phew glad it's out. Apparently released Friday but I don't know that for sure. The song is great against Danny Kleinman's title seq #skyfall

Tony Lewis‏@MusicEditorcouk

Oh and that photo was taken at Abbey Rd on the producers table in studio 1 a couple of weeks ago. Phenomenal moment with the orchestra...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just featured the BBC 6pm News.
    A short report on Adele being chosen and a look at other Bond singers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love it! Traditional powerful Bond, and sung by a magnificent English singer. 10 out of 10 from me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jack soonjack soon Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Adele's Skyfoal? might be akin to Duffy's Whale Whale Whale.
    Absolutely awful if you're not a fan - and even for the nutters who pre-ordered it - not very good.
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jack soon wrote: »
    Think Adele's Skyfoal? might be akin to Duffy's Whale Whale Whale.
    Absolutely awful if you're not a fan - and even for the nutters who pre-ordered it - not very good.

I presume that's supposed to be funny but I'm sorry, it's gone way over my head.
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    I presume that's supposed to be funny but I'm sorry, it's gone way over my head.
    I don't get it.
    I think he's talking about the way Adele sings/pronounces "skyfall" in the chorus. I remember someone else in another thread said it sounded like skyfawl and crumbawled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I'm a songwriter and producer and originally wrote the following song called 'Skyfall' for which I intended to submit to Adele & Barbara Broccoli for consideration for the film.
    Adele & Paul Epworth have written their own 'Skyfall' song, but I wanted to share with you my song Skyfall.
    http://snd.sc/Wg1VxB
    The link to soundcloud is above.
    I'd love to hear any feedback you have.
    Cheers
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a songwriter and producer and originally wrote the following song called 'Skyfall' for which I intended to submit to Adele & Barbara Broccoli for consideration for the film.
    Adele & Paul Epworth have written their own 'Skyfall' song, but I wanted to share with you my song Skyfall.
    http://snd.sc/Wg1VxB
    The link to soundcloud is above.
    I'd love to hear any feedback you have.
    Cheers

OK but sounds a bit dated for 2012, It's like something out of the 80's, Roger Moore era.
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's cos it's a short snippet you're coming over as making a rush to judgement with little to base it on. )
    Well no. It is a long enough snippet to make such a judgement.

Take exactly the same length of snippet from any great Bond song and the composition is there. A strong and original piece of music with it's own identity. I mean most you could take a 5 second snippet and you would instantly recognise it.

In 90 seconds the only strong musical cue is the actual Bond theme. The best have their own strong musical cues the minute they begin. Goldfinger sounds like a classic Bond theme (well that's because it is) however it also sounds like Goldfinger and Goldfinger you recognise 0.5 seconds into the song... as with all the other great Bond songs.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    Well no. It is a long enough snippet to make such a judgement.

Take exactly the same length of snippet from any great Bond song and the composition is there. A strong and original piece of music with it's own identity. I mean most you could take a 5 second snippet and you would instantly recognise it.

In 90 seconds the only strong musical cue is the actual Bond theme. The best have their own strong musical cues the minute they begin. Goldfinger sounds like a classic Bond theme (well that's because it is) however it also sounds like Goldfinger and Goldfinger you recognise 0.5 seconds into the song... as with all the other great Bond songs.

I think I see the flaw in your argument and the sad thing is it took me literally a nano second. You are talking about Bond themes you have already heard the full version of....and doubtless many times. Whereas with Skyfall you have heard 90 seconds. Not exactly the fairest/most scientific comparison, eh?
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, one thing! Did that guy say title seq? So does that mean the song will be played in the beginning? (sorry I'm not really into movies much).
    This song has Adele in that sultry, sexy voice she hit singing the Jack White covers, Steady as She goes and Many Shades of Black, as well as songs like Water and A Flame. This snippet is only the beginning of the song. The feeling I get is smooth and sexy and completely old school Bond (obviously). It will build from there.
    Most of these same guys saying sh!t about it without hearing the whole song are the same tired guys who dislike Adele. Frankly, I'd be shocked if they ever said something nice about her. Instead they come to bitch. And she continues to sell like crazy. Gotdamn I love that. For the others, maybe wait until you hear the whole song.
    Best part of this thread? No matter what any of us think of those 90 seconds, Skyfall will most likely be the biggest selling single ever, not too long from now. :D