Options

The Jedward Appreciation Thread (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    Who Am I?Who Am I? Posts: 20,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were on their terms, I'd like them to do it again. It's good exposure for them, they make a lot of new contacts and they seem to like it.

To be honest, I think the boys need to take a bit of blame for not being taken seriously. Popcorn outfits and T-shirts with bubble stuff in front... I love them to death but that was a bit too much for me.

Anyway, I'm happy for all the positive comments about them and I'm sorry Ireland finished last :(

:D There is an element of truth in that - although I was talking about Team Ireland taking them more seriously and listening to them. Or perhaps they did? :rolleyes:

I think the outfits worked much better in the Lipstick year - smart jackets which were unique/original but stylish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Who Am I? wrote: »
    :D There is an element of truth in that - although I was talking about Team Ireland taking them more seriously and listening to them. Or perhaps they did? :rolleyes:

I think the outfits worked much better in the Lipstick year - smart jackets which were unique/original but stylish.

I thought you were referring to people and public in general. As for team Ireland... At that time I had a feeling that the whole Eurovision team (including John and Edward) knew that Waterline was a weaker song than Lipstick and that it has no chance in winning or reaching a higher position. So in a way, they were trying their best, but knew they shouldn't expect much. I guess that their lack of enthusiasm comes from that.

Lipstick outfits were different, they were totally in your face, but not in a weird way like popcorn stuff.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    A video has emerged of the Azerbaijanis cheating and trying to buy votes.(over on the eurovision forum)http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/...rovision_votes Surely there will now be an investigation. I remember allegations of similar activity being made 2 years ago. By rights Lipstick should have finished 7th!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disnae wrote: »
    A video has emerged of the Azerbaijanis cheating and trying to buy votes.(over on the eurovision forum)http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/...rovision_votes Surely there will now be an investigation. I remember allegations of similar activity being made 2 years ago. By rights Lipstick should have finished 7th!
    And I remember a similar article last year, it's weird that Azerbaijan always gets 12 points from a small country like malta, and they've finished in the top5 for 5-6 years in a row now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I remember a similar article last year, it's weird that Azerbaijan always gets 12 points from a small country like malta, and they've finished in the top5 for 5-6 years in a row now
    It certainly looks like something dodgy has been going on. Ironically, they had quite a good song this year and probably didn't need to cheat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly looks like something dodgy has been going on. Ironically, they had quite a good song this year and probably didn't need to cheat!
    For me, they got their best result with the weakest song they've sent, they didn't deserve to win that year. Last year the azeri song was better in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For me, they got their best result with the weakest song they've sent, they didn't deserve to win that year. Last year the azeri song was better in my opinion.
    I could never understand that win either. I can't remember the song now at all and it had 0 commercial success.
  • Options
    SecretPassageSecretPassage Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditionally, the last spot in the final is not so bad. Eurostar will know more about this, but in 2010 the last song finished 4th, in 2011 Georgia performed last and finished 9th and last year Moldovia performed last and finished 11th (in 2009 Spain performed last and finished 2nd to last, but that doesn't count, because we always suck in Eurovision :p )

Ah! Very interesting. I guess the one good thing for Ireland is that no one seems to think they deserved last place. The song generally seems popular (though perhaps only with certain types of audiences) and I've read a news report that Ryan has had interest from Russian record labels. Best of luck to him! :D
  • Options
    SecretPassageSecretPassage Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion Police or the latest Joan Rivers format where she interviews people in bed.
    "Jedward In Bed"

Welcome, Devin! I like this idea, though I reckon "Bedward" would be a better name! :D
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Azeris are as corrupt as anything. There are strong rumours they 'bought' the win in 2011 through widespread vote rigging.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Ah! Very interesting. I guess the one good thing for Ireland is that no one seems to think they deserved last place. The song generally seems popular (though perhaps only with certain types of audiences) and I've read a news report that Ryan has had interest from Russian record labels. Best of luck to him! :D

Thanks for the welcome!
    Russian record labels, OMG!
    He might need protection in a corrupt and criminal country like Russia.
    Hardly any legal record sales over there, LOL:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the welcome!

Russia is not a corrupt and criminal country, we're not in the Cold War anymore. Communism is long gone.

I'd say Russians illegally download music no more than any other nation.
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russia is not a corrupt and criminal country, we're not in the Cold War anymore. Communism is long gone.

Any idea if Russian music charts are actually collated anywhere? Cuz we have looked so hard for it!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Azeri TV company buying votes does seem more likely than it winning tbh. It was just so meh!
    There was the same scandal last year small countries giving them high points.

The twins would be good at an interview type show. They never stop asking people questions!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like the juries stitched him up this year. He received only 1 point from the UK when it's highly likely he went very high in the televote. The voting system was changed this year too in a way that meant it was possible for a national jury to wipe out the televote result and cause a song to receive 0 or only 1 point instead of 10 or 12 points.
  • Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three of a kind: http://instagram.com/p/ZhPr4xqWGQ/

Feathers are going to be ruffled. The¥'re all looking great. I wonder if they're Jeremy Scott designs?

From twitter last night:

@planetjedward 17h
    Thank You @ITSJEREMYSCOTT For being a Superhero and Driving us Home!
    You Rock from John and Edward

Some people think this means John and Edward have now made L.A. their home. I don't think so.
  • Options
    ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The voting system was changed this year too in a way that meant it was possible for a national jury to wipe out the televote result and cause a song to receive 0 or only 1 point instead of 10 or 12 points.

What?How?Why? Never heard abouit that and never read about that this is allowed(only when there are technical problems and when the public votes don´t come through )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point of that tweet was we're pals with Jeremy Scott.
    Not we've moved to LA.
  • Options
    dechechodechecho Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome!

Hello Devin :)

I was interested in this mini-discussion, because without really knowing why, I also had the impression that Russia is a corrupt place.

I've done a bit of reading, and found this fascinating "world map of corruption" from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/dec/01/world-corruption-index-transparency-international-map

Also, it's a bit long-winded, but this article talks about the level of online and physical piracy in Russia as having reached ‘disastrous levels’, although it sounds like they're trying to tackle it: http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/12/03/special-report-on-russia-enforcement-against-online-copyright-infringement/
  • Options
    MarcPaulBMarcPaulB Posts: 4,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    What?How?Why? Never heard abouit that and never read about that this is allowed(only when there are technical problems and when the public votes don´t come through )

Eurostar will probably explain better, but basically, I think it's to do with them having to rate all the songs in order - and not just their top 10? Jury/televote is still 50/50 though.

I see that when the Australians voted, Ireland came 5th (I think). Pity it didn't count!

Anyway - it's good that Ryan is getting some attention.

Nice pic from LA, thanks for posting, Floh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    dechecho wrote: »

I was interested in this mini-discussion, because without really knowing why, I also had the impression that Russia is a corrupt place.

I've done a bit of reading, and found this fascinating "world map of corruption" from the Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/dec/01/world-corruption-index-transparency-international-map

Also, it's a bit long-winded, but this article talks about the level of online and physical piracy in Russia as having reached ‘disastrous levels’, although it sounds like they're trying to tackle it: http://www.ip-watch.org/2012/12/03/special-report-on-russia-enforcement-against-online-copyright-infringement/

Hi,
    From my understanding in Russia even small businesses/shopkeepers have to deal with the local maffia.
    I'm not saying that they went back to cold war again but for the average Russian life there isn't easy. Only the happy few the elite are enjoying life there right now.

But back to Jedward, isn't it strange how Tara and the twins really look like triplets or family nowadays.
    I wonder if she's really business-involved with them now.
    She couldn't be worse than Louis Walsh:sleep:
  • Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    I think the point of that tweet was we're pals with Jeremy Scott.
    Not we've moved to LA.

Yes, I agree.

And on to the Eurovision: I didn't watch and had no news until last night Ireland did so badly. Sad, really. What was uplifting is learning so many people — not only us hardcore fans — missed Jedward at Eurovision.

This has to have upped their pulling power at the very least with RTE, not to mention other broadcasters. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Any idea if Russian music charts are actually collated anywhere? Cuz we have looked so hard for it!!

I found a couple of websites about record sales in Russia, but their in Russian, I can read it, but I don't know what the words mean.
    dechecho wrote: »

To be honest, a lot of European countries are in the same state, when it comes to piracy. I'm not sure if it's "why buy something when you can get it for free" way of thinking, or people just don't have a lot of money... For instance, average price of album in Croatia is about 12 - 15 pounds. Which is more than most people work for entire day. So people download things. When Young Love came out, we had to wait for months for it to come to Croatia. I think it's the same in Russia, people don't do this deliberately, it's just the economy.
    Hi,
    From my understanding in Russia even small businesses/shopkeepers have to deal with the local maffia.
    I'm not saying that they went back to cold war again but for the average Russian life there isn't easy. Only the happy few the elite are enjoying life there right now.

Again, it's the economy. Salaries are low, prices are high, but to claim the whole country is corrupt... It's a bit harsh and definitely untrue. I've been to Moscow a couple of years ago, didn't find it unsafe at all. Russia does have a high rate of crime, but US has about 8 times as much. I'm not saying it's a paradise, but it's not as bad as people think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... in 2009 Spain performed last and finished 2nd to last, but that doesn't count, because we always suck in Eurovision :p ) ...

But some Spanish entries are among my all-time favourites.

Apart from winners Masiel and Salomé (1968 and 1969), there have been many other really good Spanish songs, e.g.: José Vélez's 'Bailemos un vals' (9th in 1978, but deserved to be higher).

I think some recent Spanish songs (including this year's) deserved to do much better.

By the way: Ryan Dolan enjoying chart success despite last place finish
    Ireland's Eurovision entry went into the charts in 17 countries yesterday - despite finishing last in the final.

Singer Ryan Dolan said he can't understand why so few countries gave him their vote as now the song Only Love Survives is racing up the charts around the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Floh wrote: »
    Three of a kind: http://instagram.com/p/ZhPr4xqWGQ/
    Some people think this means John and Edward have now made L.A. their home. I don't think so.
    I don't think so either. It'd make sense if they rented an apartment for let's say, a month, if they knew that the album recording would take them that time. They could also be staying with Tara, I bet she has a big house. Spending that much time in a hotel would be unnecessarily expensive, but who knows.
    And it was about time Jeremy did something for them after having bought almost every Jeremy Scott item ever :D

I get the feeling that Tara is a bit of a Momma Jedward overseas, of course she has contacts and everything, but I feel like she's "taking care" of them over there.
This discussion has been closed.