New High res pics/video of the new Blackberry phone!

18910111214»

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Agree on the maps, but your claim about Android scaling their apps - no, they don't. At least not so that they look good. There are plenty of apps that scale up and work on my Nexus 7, but they don't scale well at all.

From what I've seen of the BB10 devices, they do appear to offer something truly good - an excellent UX.

And apparently empty = thousands of applications? You have a strange definition of empty that isn't in a dictionary.

So it has a better user interface, if the browser is better than that in the Playbook it'll comprehensively beat anything available on iOS or Android.

So if the only "negative" is not scaling up applications written for a device that the press claimed was a failure, then its not a bad effort at all.

At least they work. On the Z10 they just turn into a jumbled mess. And Android now has built in functionality which deals with scaling which is up to developers to implement. I also have a Nexus 7 and haven't seen issues there, not like on the Z10 anyway..

It has a stupid UX not an 'excellent' one. There are no widgets, the notification system is lame, if you've previously been in an app then get a new notification, the OS can only transport you back to the notification you already viewed so you have to go through the whole app to find the new message. Nothing like Android's effortless notification system.

The homescreen is also flawed, you can only view the 8 most recently viewed applications and these are not fixed at all meaning if you keep using apps, you have to go back into the app drawer to find previously used apps that have been pushed off the list. Not what I'd call excellent and nothing like Android's easy shortcut/widget homescreen combination. It's a clunky and ill-thought out interface.

There really aren't that many apps on their BB World. Major ones like Netflix, Skype, Instagram etc aren't invested in the platform, and let's not get into BB's desperate attempt to get more apps by allowing Android apps to run in a Gingerbread emulator within BB10. Lol.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Agree on the maps, but your claim about Android scaling their apps - no, they don't. At least not so that they look good. There are plenty of apps that scale up and work on my Nexus 7, but they don't scale well at all.

From what I've seen of the BB10 devices, they do appear to offer something truly good - an excellent UX.

And apparently empty = thousands of applications? You have a strange definition of empty that isn't in a dictionary.

So it has a better user interface, if the browser is better than that in the Playbook it'll comprehensively beat anything available on iOS or Android.

So if the only "negative" is not scaling up applications written for a device that the press claimed was a failure, then its not a bad effort at all.

I think your going a little overboard here to be honest. I understand people want it to be a success but keep it realistic.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure about that, not sure at all.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about that, not sure at all.

The *current* playbook browser betters Chrome and Safari on web standards compliance. By all accounts BB10 improves on what was already the best mobile browser.
  • clubfoot fcclubfoot fc Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/it-could-be-too-late-for-blackberry-10-1128496

Another review here basically echos my initial thoughts.
    anyone on here bought one yet?

read soemwhere that the 1st 250 sold get a free playbook 64gb too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    technet showed a screenie someone took in cpw of their till showing the rrp of a payg bb10 for £520 lol
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    technet showed a screenie someone took in cpw of their till showing the rrp of a payg bb10 for £520 lol

So how much is an iphone 5 unlocked? between £500-£700, with no expansion slot for memory. Hardly a good deal is it? Oh I forgot......extra row of icons!!!!!!!!
  • clubfoot fcclubfoot fc Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    So how much is an iphone 5 unlocked? between £500-£700, with no expansion slot for memory. Hardly a good deal is it? Oh I forgot......extra row of icons!!!!!!!!

thats a good point most high end phones are around £500 sim free/payg

looking at spec, video of the phone in operation and general reviews it's obvious the phone is good

so no reason why this should be any different.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Incorrect, it showed a price of £480. I think realistically it should be £399 if they want it to sell. Or take Googles route with the Nexus4 and discount it massively to around £280.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Incorrect, it showed a price of £480. I think realistically it should be £399 if they want it to sell. Or take Googles route with the Nexus4 and discount it massively to around £280.

Got the link as I was on my phone google currents?
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    It's the first Blackberry I've got a little excited about that's for sure. It does look very slick design wise. Very much like the iPhone 5. OS looks smooth and slick too.
    This might just do it for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the link as I was on my phone google currents?

This IS the LINK you're looking for
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's the one.

not going to quibble over £30 lol

too expensive, o/s not being received well = phone will bomb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's the one.

not going to quibble over £30 lol

too expensive, o/s not being received well = phone will bomb.

I think its a great phone but I agree, its £200 more than a Nexus 4 and £40 less than a iPhone 5. Is that the price point to steal Nexus 4 customers or iPhone 5 customers? I doubt it.

£399 is the max price point for this phone or £29 on contract, Its going to have to have a price drop soon just like the S3 did, or just heavily discount it like the Nexus 4.

Even Apple appear to be struggling at the £500 price point so I don't see this making an impact. I expect this price is a test, it will be much cheaper within 2 months. But can Blackberry sustain heavy discounting? Google have deep pockets and can sustain the Nexus 4 as they also sell it at full price through the networks. Maybe Blackberry sell it direct for £299?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a great phone but I agree, its £200 more than a Nexus 4 and £40 less than a iPhone 5. Is that the price point to steal Nexus 4 customers or iPhone 5 customers? I doubt it.

£399 is the max price point for this phone or £29 on contract, Its going to have to have a price drop soon just like the S3 did, or just heavily discount it like the Nexus 4.

Even Apple appear to be struggling at the £500 price point so I don't see this making an impact. I expect this price is a test, it will be much cheaper within 2 months. But can Blackberry sustain heavy discounting? Google have deep pockets and can sustain the Nexus 4 as they also sell it at full price through the networks. Maybe Blackberry sell it direct for £299?

I'm not so sure, either Google have got more stock in the play store this time, or people are giving the z10 a bit of consideration, because nexus 4 is still in stock on play. Not flying off the shelves this time? But it could just be google have more in.

Or of course it could be a combination of both scenarios.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its purely academic, but aren't Google heavily discounting the price of the Nexus 4, hence its ridiculously low price?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its purely academic, but aren't Google heavily discounting the price of the Nexus 4, hence its ridiculously low price?

It's not discounted. That is the price point Google have chosen to sell it online. Retailers obviously need to add to that figure to make more money but Google themselves have aimed for this price point. They adopted the same strategy with the Nexus 7 and it has been a success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It's not discounted. That is the price point Google have chosen to sell it online. Retailers obviously need to add to that figure to make more money but Google themselves have aimed for this price point. They adopted the same strategy with the Nexus 7 and it has been a success.

Just done a bit of reading up, Google *are* subsidising the price of the Nexus 4 by a good few hundred quid.

Like I say, its academic - but having a massive company aggressively cutting the price and possibly even making a loss on them - doesn't exactly make price comparisons against any other phone a fair comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah Google are offering customers who buy the Nexus 4 direct from them an amazing discount. But I believe the RRP they have given to retailers is much much higher.

It's not the same as the Nexus 7 as the Nexus although extremely cheap was RRP'd at £159 I think it was.