One Foot in the Grave

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just re-watched this excellent programme. I always wonder with the last episode whether Margaret killed Victor's killer or not and finally today I came to the conclusion that she did. I know David Renwick said he hadn't made his mind up whether she did or not. What do other fans of the series think?

All the episodes are good but I think it really picks up in series 4 onwards because the war between Victor and Patrick is my favourite thing about it. I particularly love the Christmas special with Patrick's new boss's summerhouse, Edwin the tarantula and Hey Mr Tambourine Man :D

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just re-watched this excellent programme. I always wonder with the last episode whether Margaret killed Victor's killer or not and finally today I came to the conclusion that she did. I know David Renwick said he hadn't made his mind up whether she did or not. What do other fans of the series think?

All the episodes are good but I think it really picks up in series 4 onwards because the war between Victor and Patrick is my favourite thing about it. I particularly love the Christmas special with Patrick's new boss's summerhouse, Edwin the tarantula and Hey Mr Tambourine Man :D

I always assumed Margaret did it, I didn't even think there was any doubt about it until David Renwick said he hadn't decided if she had or not.

I love the series, although I like Mr Sweeney and Mrs warboys, I agree the relationship between Victor and Patrick is great. The fact that Patrick just thinks Victor is insane, cutting up teddy bears, mowing the living room carpet etc.

I never liked Margeret though, she was well played by Annette Crosbie but I thought she could be quite nasty at times. People used to always say about her being long suffering and things but Victor was never intentionally nasty to her whereas she was to him on a couple of occasions.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it and can watch the episodes over and over! I didn't get it as a kid and a couple of years ago got the box set and I laughed out loud in every episode.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hsellors wrote: »
    I love it and can watch the episodes over and over! I didn't get it as a kid and a couple of years ago got the box set and I laughed out loud in every episode.

Yeah it's such a funny,clever & well written series you can just pick out any episode & watch it.
    Not alot of swearing or nudity just laughs from start to finish.

Wasn't a fan of the last episode though,didn't really fit in with the tone of the show for me.

great series :D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    Yeah it's such a funny,clever & well written series you can just pick out any episode & watch it.
    Not alot of swearing or nudity just laughs from start to finish.

Wasn't a fan of the last episode though,didn't really fit in with the tone of the show for me.

great series :D

I was sad to see Victor go, but I think the last episode fit in very well with the dark tone of the show. This was a programme in which we had a character commit suicide during a game of Happy Families, another kill himself after a weekend with Victor and Margaret, a tortoise roasted alive in a brazier and the residents of a carehome tortured by sadistic nurses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I was sad to see Victor go, but I think the last episode fit in very well with the dark tone of the show. This was a programme in which we had a character commit suicide during a game of Happy Families, another kill himself after a weekend with Victor and Margaret, a tortoise roasted alive in a brazier and the residents of a carehome tortured by sadistic nurses.

yeah thinking about it it did have some dark moments,i have't seen it for many years though so my memory of it isn't that great:D

I just ordered the box-set + the christmas specials from amazon for £18,not bad price i don't think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    yeah thinking about it it did have some dark moments,i have't seen it for many years though so my memory of it isn't that great:D

I just ordered the box-set + the christmas specials from amazon form £18,not bad price i don't think

Oh, thanks for the heads-up - I might treat myself to it at that price! :D
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I got the boxset for £14 a few months ago, I've watched as far as series 3 so far (so many other things to get through!). Although I was familiar with most episodes, I'm sure there are a few so far that I hadn't actually seen since their original TV broadcast.

Great stuff, the writing and acting is superb. Shame that it ended on a bleak note, but at least it gave closure and meant that there was no temptation to revive the show with a mediocre Christmas episode years later for the sake of it, as happened to several other classic series.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victor's ending is so bleak but it suited the show absolutely. OFITG is one of the greatest TV programmes ever made, sitcom or otherwise!
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, for the people who don't think Victor should have died. What do you think should have been the ending?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always remember the one where he was buried in the garden up to his neck, with the bucket over his head, and didn't someone dump a 2cv in his skip :D
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Out of interest, for the people who don't think Victor should have died. What do you think should have been the ending?

Perhaps it should just have been a continuous loop like most of the other BBC sitcoms most people wouldn't know which episode of Keeping Up Appearances or Open All Hours were the last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

He could have appeared to have changed his ways and not be grumpy at all, and then right at the end he would completely lose his patience and it would finish with him back to his usual self, credits coming up mid angry rant.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Perhaps it should just have been a continuous loop like most of the other BBC sitcoms most people wouldn't know which episode of Keeping Up Appearances or Open All Hours were the last.

I must admit i always liked the thought of Victor carrying on as normal. At the same time though the ending was fitting with the way he always suffered. Other sitcoms would have given him his happy ending and wrapped up with a smile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

From what I've seen, every episode of Keeping Up Appearances was the same:
    1. Hyacinth answers the phone
    2. The postman attempts to deliver some mail
    3. Richard and Hyacinth have breakfast in the kitchen
    4. Elizabeth is summoned for coffee
    5. Richard and Hyacinth go out in the car ('There's an old lady on the pavement, Richard')
    6. Daisy and Onslow are in bed, Rose comes into the room with some 'news'
    7. Hyacinth visits Onslow, Daisy and Rose and is 'assaulted' by the dog along the garden path
    8. The dog in the car scares Hyacinth into falling into a bush.
    9. Hyacinth mentions her royal doulton with the handpainted periwinkles.
    10. Hyacinth mentions her sister Violet who has room for a pony.
    11. Someone calls her 'Mrs Bucket'.
    12. Hyacinth tries to hide the fact she's related to Daisy and Onslow.
    13. Elizabeth breaks a cup.

Lather, rinse, repeat. One Foot in the Grave was in a completely different class to KUA - which was, at best, a throwback to the cosy 70s sitcoms which revolved around the Vicar coming to tea.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. Richard and Hyacinth go out in the car ('There's an old lady on the pavement, Richard')
    7. Hyacinth visits Onslow, Daisy and Rose and is 'assaulted' by the dog along the garden path

Lather, rinse, repeate. One Foot in the Grave was in a completely different class to KUA - which was, at best, a rehash of the cosy 70s sitcoms which revolved around the Vicar coming to tea.

You missed out Daddy escaping, so they had to go and find him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think the ending was bad it was just horrible the way victor died,especially after the fun & laughter of the previous 6 series.

As for my ending i would have had victor moaning through the end credits & right at the end margret shouts "VICTOR WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP"

still an amazing show
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I always assumed Margaret did it, I didn't even think there was any doubt about it until David Renwick said he hadn't decided if she had or not.

I love the series, although I like Mr Sweeney and Mrs warboys, I agree the relationship between Victor and Patrick is great. The fact that Patrick just thinks Victor is insane, cutting up teddy bears, mowing the living room carpet etc.

I never liked Margeret though, she was well played by Annette Crosbie but I thought she could be quite nasty at times. People used to always say about her being long suffering and things but Victor was never intentionally nasty to her whereas she was to him on a couple of occasions.

Yeah, I thought so too like in the episode where she threw away his Christmas dinner :( Thought that was harsh.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm inclined to agree the series should have finished with Victor carrying on as normal.

The ending we got was a characteristically dark piece of Renwick writing, but unlike the other dark pieces of writing in the series, this piece wasn't redeemed by any accompanying humour. It was just bleak for bleak's sake, and partially undid eleven years of fantastic writing.
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I've never understood or liked the last episode. It's confusing.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lather, rinse, repeat. One Foot in the Grave was in a completely different class to KUA - which was, at best, a throwback to the cosy 70s sitcoms which revolved around the Vicar coming to tea.

You missed out Elizabeth spilling her coffee everywhere, Emmet hiding from Hyacinth, the Vicar trying to hide from Hyacinth, Rose having a new boyfriend, Daisy trying to seduce Onslow and him being repulsed etc

KUA was very repetitive to be fair, most episodes are the same story rehashed:D

I also didn't really like Victor dying at the end of OFITG but I suppose it fitted in with the black humour that the show was famous for.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best one that sticks in my mind must be the episode where Victor does an excellent monologue in the bath. So hilarious!

I've often wondered how he did that with the water, surely, getting colder and colder as he went along?
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OFITG was and is a brilliant comedy, with a strong set of characters such as Patrick, Pippa, Mr Sweeney etc. I hated the ending, couldn`t understand why they had to bump him off. Sort of ruined it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You missed out Elizabeth spilling her coffee everywhere, Emmet hiding from Hyacinth, the Vicar trying to hide from Hyacinth, Rose having a new boyfriend, Daisy trying to seduce Onslow and him being repulsed etc

KUA was very repetitive to be fair, most episodes are the same story rehashed:D

I also didn't really like Victor dying at the end of OFITG but I suppose it fitted in with the black humour that the show was famous for.

Hehe - true. I'm amazed KUA managed to churn out as many episodes as it did. I mean, lots of shows have running gags and similar plotlines (broadly) but KUA seemed like, basically, the exact same jokes and setups every time. It was, effectively, a show composed entirely of running gags, week in week out. It amazes me that it was a success in between the anarchic stuff of the 80s and the modern, 'cutting edge' comedy of the 00s. But hey ho, people liked it. It was comfortable and cosy, I guess; something no one could possibly be offended or challenged by.

With OFITG, I totally agree. I seem to recall there had been an episode long before the finale in which the setup of the whole thing was Margaret writing a letter to a relative, with the story told in flashback and the implication that Victor had died. There was another one in which Margaret went missing and her coat was dredged out of a canal, leading the audience to believe she had died. It was dark stuff. And I loved it.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member

You missed Hyacinth singing at Emmet whenever she sees him :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You missed Hyacinth singing at Emmet whenever she sees him :D

That one I tried to forget. :D