Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Oxford wins it.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oxford wins it.

That cox needs to wash his mouth out, filthy f*cker.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great race!!!!
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxford wins it.

and the world cheers and cant restrain the goodness it brings
    Forum Member
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    and the world cheers and cant restrain the goodness it brings

I wouldn't go that far.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So thats alright then.. elitism will always rule. Yeah, makes sense given todays government. I'm all for history but this one realy is a joke

It's got nothing to do with elitism, the Boat Race started at a time when there were only a few unis - a lot of today's unis didn't exist then.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So thats alright then.. elitism will always rule. Yeah, makes sense given todays government. I'm all for history but this one realy is a joke

What has it got to do with elitism? And what has the race got to do with today's government?

Two rival universities held an annual boat race years ago. It became a yearly tradition.......that is all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has it got to do with elitism? And what has the race got to do with today's government?

Two rival universities held an annual boat race years ago. It became a yearly tradition.......that is all

and two teams contested the FA Cup final........luckily we saw through that one
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always the same two teams every year that get to the final :D

Anyway, I think they've got to rely on the tides. Today the race was about halfway between low and high tide.
    Forum Member
    and two teams contested the FA Cup final........luckily we saw through that one

Two teams always contest the FA Cup final, because it's a "tournament".
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed it, anybody know if it will be repeated on TV ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a bit cutting - now is not the time to speak to losers :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK , just to put an end to this...would anyone vote against

1. Contestants must be aged between 17 and 23
    2. Have never competed in a world, Olympic or European competition.
    3. Are actually at a Brit Uni to study rather than being there because they can row
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

3. Are actually at a Brit Uni to study rather than being there because they can row

Yes I would be against it. The Boat Race has done perfectly well as it is for about 200 years, so why change it. It's one of the events which mark the calendar, along with the Grand National, FA Cup Final, Ascot, etc.
    Forum Member
    The list of rowers included medical students, psychology students, engineers, etc....

Clearly they are academic, and not there just to pull oars.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member

Why? The Boat Race is a private challenge between two rival institutions. They can use whatever rules they desire. Why do you feel they need to be regulated from outside?

All the members of the crew are studying for degrees - why does it matter how old they are, and how do you regulate them "actually being here to study"?

Let it go.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eagle9a seems to have a big chip on his shoulder for some reason.

Was he turned down for University and now got the needle to anyone who goes to one? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Why? The Boat Race is a private challenge between two rival institutions. They can use whatever rules they desire. Why do you feel they need to be regulated from outside?

All the members of the crew are studying for degrees - why does it matter how old they are, and how do you regulate them "actually being here to study"?

Let it go.[/QUOTE]

I will, just remember in future this "event" will become an icon for those who can argue elitism..all I was trying to say, albeitly badly, was dont give them that chance. Let all Uni's compete for the University Boat Race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Eagle9a seems to have a big chip on his shoulder for some reason.

Was he turned down for University and now got the needle to anyone who goes to one? :confused:

Sorry matey...I just love sport and especially traditional sport..but the boat race has gone beyond either...in my opinion
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eagle9a it is an event between two uni's that has been running for two hundred years , Other uni's have their own regatta's what part of that do you not understand , it has sod all to with elitism you need to have the brains to actually get into Oxbridge to start with it's not all about money
    Forum Member
    I will, just remember in future this "event" will become an icon for those who can argue elitism..all I was trying to say, albeitly badly, was dont give them that chance. Let all Uni's compete for the University Boat Race.

Or establish an entirely seperate rowing competition for universities with a knockout format thus satisifying those who favour tournaments, and leave the event that just took place as it is, was, and always will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry matey...I just love sport and especially traditional sport..but the boat race has gone beyond either...in my opinion

Well your opinion seems to be a bit skewed, imo. You're seeing things in the Boat Race that aren't there - it's just a traditional event between 2 unis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Eagle9a it is an event between two uni's that has been running for two hundred years , Other uni's have their own regatta's what part of that do you not understand , it has sod all to with elitism you need to have the brains to actually get into Oxbridge to start with it's not all about money

and that really is the quote of the month.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I would vote against it, for several reasons.

1. You seem to be completely unaware that people older than 23 can study at university
    2. So what if they have? Are people not allowed to be good at their chosen sport? Both unis are happy to allow those who've competed, so there's no issue.
    3. :rolleyes: You do realise all of those competing are undertaking degrees at Oxford and Cambridge, paying for them and studying like everyone else, which means they have to be capable of doing the work.

It's not elitism, it's a tradition between two particular universities. There are similar Varsity events in many sports between different pairs of rival universities, nothing elitist at all.
    also..how much is it costing the UK tax payer to allow 2/3rds of the entrants not to be British?

Your lack of knowledge is really astounding - people pay to go to uni, the rowers pay to go to uni. Just as British people can go to study abroad, so people of other nationalities can study here. It costs the taxpayer no more than it costs them for a British student to study at Oxford or Cambridge, in fact it costs them less because there are no student loans for international students!
    Can't stand all these posh bastards on my tv

Lovely, I'm sure they can't stand you either :rolleyes:

People like you really need to do a little bit of research into the demographics of the Oxford student population. I'll give you a clue: I went to Oxford, I'm from a very ordinary working family and the first in my family to go to university. In 3 years in Oxford I met one person who'd been to Eton, and everyone was entirely normal and by and large not posh at all. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Gee, all these folk feeling some need to be outraged about a harmless great traditional race that many folk enjoy.

If it's not for you, just ignore it.