What Now For Nintendo?

Comments

• BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    For perspective, the Wii U is now about the same age as when the plug was pulled on the Dreamcast. However it has only sold half of what the Dreamcast managed at the time

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/wii-u/30054/wii-u-the-dreamcast-disney-and-the-future-of-nintendo

Comparing it to the Dreamcast is a little misleading. Sega's real problem was that their finances had been battered and bruised by their various mid-late 90s cock-ups, and they needed the Dreamcast to be a hit on the order of the Mega Drive/Genesis. It actually sold a lot better than most people think it did, but that just wasn't enough to keep Sega in the game.

If anything, it was the 32X and Saturn that really sent Sega's console line down in flames, along with them losing a costly lawsuit with 3dfx round about the same time that the Dreamcast launched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently rumour has it nintendo are releasing a MK Wii U bundle for Europe. Hope it's true £199 and it will sell very well indeed.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Apparently rumour has it nintendo are releasing a MK Wii U bundle for Europe. Hope it's true £199 and it will sell very well indeed.

i hope its true and i hope it sells..but somebody said the other week, its not 1992 anymore..

i will buy MK8 because ive always liked Nintendo..

but these days all kids want is Minecraft, Terraria and COD..

my 10 year old is flying through Infamous, Nintendo just dosent intrest him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    i hope its true and i hope it sells..but somebody said the other week, its not 1992 anymore..

i will buy MK8 because ive always liked Nintendo..

Just as well there are plenty of sad 40+ year olds like me who still love it! :D

I don't have a Wii U, but a £199 Mario Kart pack might bring me in...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Just as well there are plenty of sad 40+ year olds like me who still love it! :D

I don't have a Wii U, but a £199 Mario Kart pack might bring me in...

im the same m8, im 45 lol

£199.00 for a MK Wii U is a good deal.....

no installs, quick updates, gameplay straight out of the box...

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No install or update nonsence is a big plus if Nintendo get the online aspect right for MK and Samsh Bros it could do well.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    im the same m8, im 45 lol

£199.00 for a MK Wii U is a good deal.....

no installs, quick updates, gameplay straight out of the box...

:)
    No install or update nonsence is a big plus if Nintendo get the online aspect right for MK and Samsh Bros it could do well.

More than likely just like most of the bundles it will be a digital download code instead of a physical disc so I wouldn't get my hopes up of some instant play straight out of the box with this one just yet.
    As for £199, a more realistic price would be around £230-£240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah thinking about it the price would probs be about £230 at least there's no nonsence patching after games are released for the Wii U. It's criminal the amount of updates next gen games need to run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Drop the price by £50, release a Mariokart bundle, several other tactics, will shift 'a few' extra consoles, but will really only be a drop in the ocean in terms of the problems the Wii U is facing. It is now destined to finish a mightily distant third in this generation and there is nothing Nintendo can do to change this. They just need a massive shake up and get in place a strategy for the next generation that will have mass market appeal.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this £199 figure rumoured, or did someone just make it up as an ideal price?
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yeah thinking about it the price would probs be about £230 at least there's no nonsence patching after games are released for the Wii U. It's criminal the amount of updates next gen games need to run.

Who told you that? Quite a few WiiU games have had the odd patch update now and then.
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze had one recently on the 2nd April.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely not as frequent, long and take up much space as Xbox One and PS4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely not as frequent, long and take up much space as Xbox One and PS4.

I've had frequent day one patches and updates to almost all the games i've played on WiiU, which admittedly isn't many

Perhaps this myth of less updates is because there are less games, so by virtue of more games being played on Playstation and Xbox console it appears that there is a higher percentages of updates per game
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I've had frequent day one patches and updates to almost all the games i've played on WiiU, which admittedly isn't many

Perhaps this myth of less updates is because there are less games, so by virtue of more games being played on Playstation and Xbox console it appears that there is a higher percentages of updates per game

Ya right!!!!! (all multiplatform titles on the WiiU got patched) but most folk probably didn't notice cause they never bought em! :blush:

(When I had my WiiU it was constantly updating software whilst on standby) :cool:
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drop the price by £50, release a Mariokart bundle, several other tactics, will shift 'a few' extra consoles, but will really only be a drop in the ocean in terms of the problems the Wii U is facing. It is now destined to finish a mightily distant third in this generation and there is nothing Nintendo can do to change this. They just need a massive shake up and get in place a strategy for the next generation that will have mass market appeal.

I think they'd be better off keeping the price as is and funding a massive marketing campaign (and paying for shelf space in stores).

It's not like the PS4 is breaking records due to a mass of great games..it's the flood of strong marketing and the biggest ad campaign in Playstation history (I think I saw more ads in a month for Second Son... than the entire Wii U line-up since it launched).

You could barely go an ad break without seeing a Wii or DS game marketed a few years ago..now I'm lucky to catch a Nintendo ad once a week..if not once a month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    I think they'd be better off keeping the price as is and funding a massive marketing campaign (and paying for shelf space in stores).

It's not like the PS4 is breaking records due to a mass of great games..it's the flood of strong marketing and the biggest ad campaign in Playstation history (I think I saw more ads in a month for Second Son... than the entire Wii U line-up since it launched).

You could barely go an ad break without seeing a Wii or DS game marketed a few years ago..now I'm lucky to catch a Nintendo ad once a week..if not once a month.

I'd love Nintendo to succeed, but I don't see massive advertising spend making any difference now. Their proposition is basically a machine that's been on the market over a year longer than its rivals, is quite significantly less powerful and has extremely limited third party support. It's only USP is first party Nintendo support. People are aware of these facts and the other machines win out, hence why in a much shorter time they have already outsold Nintendo by a wide margin.

In the next gen, imagine if they brought out a machine with competitive power, online capabilities, third party support, & their trump card of Mario, Zelda et al. They can't be that daft, for 20 years since gaming went mainstream, their competitors have been getting it right and consumers have voted with their wallets. It's time for them to learn their lessons with a vengeance on the hardware front or just concentrate on producing software for their competitors. I wouldn't bet against them instead coming up with some alternative bizarre strategy which has us all pulling our hair out again in 5 years time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love Nintendo to succeed, but I don't see massive advertising spend making any difference now. Their proposition is basically a machine that's been on the market over a year longer than its rivals, is quite significantly less powerful and has extremely limited third party support. It's only USP is first party Nintendo support. People are aware of these facts and the other machines win out, hence why in a much shorter time they have already outsold Nintendo by a wide margin.

In the next gen, imagine if they brought out a machine with competitive power, online capabilities, third party support, & their trump card of Mario, Zelda et al. They can't be that daft, for 20 years since gaming went mainstream, their competitors have been getting it right and consumers have voted with their wallets. It's time for them to learn their lessons with a vengeance on the hardware front or just concentrate on producing software for their competitors. I wouldn't bet against them instead coming up with some alternative bizarre strategy which has us all pulling our hair out again in 5 years time!

im 45, i love Nintendo...

but who is the target market?????

not me for sure, maybe its the nostalgia

i bought the Wii U on release, had every Nintendo console

my 9 year old, soon to be 10..

loved Smash Bros on Wii...

since then hes discovered Minecraft, Terraria and other online brick-building titles

"Mario Karts out on the 30th.."

pause.....silence.

"great....."

my kids arnt even intrested, although the older one (14) thought 3D world was.."sick"
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im 45, i love Nintendo...

but who is the target market?????

not me for sure, maybe its the nostalgia

i bought the Wii U on release, had every Nintendo console

my 9 year old, soon to be 10..

loved Smash Bros on Wii...

since then hes discovered Minecraft, Terraria and other online brick-building titles

"Mario Karts out on the 30th.."

pause.....silence.

"great....."

my kids arnt even intrested, although the older one (14) thought 3D world was.."sick"

I bought a Wii U for myself (39) but I can't get near the bloody thing. My kids (3,6,7) are constantly on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be even worse when Mario Kart 8 comes out trust me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be even worse when Mario Kart 8 comes out trust me.

thats a good thing, i said a while back every DS member with a Wii U should buy it....

add each other , it will be like COD4 all over again

add me for 360 Titanfall gmeboyhorror
    add me for MK8 gdjman68wasdigi
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not saying a mass ad spend will turn things around entirely..but I do think it'll do more to sell hardware than any price cut would. A low price didn't help the Gamecube.

..and Nintendo will never get 3rd party support..regardless of hardware power..not while both Microsoft and Sony are in the home console market (Nintendo just aren't willing to give the sort of moneyhats for advertising support that the others are).

The PS4 has outsold the Wii U that's for sure.. but I'm doubtful the Xbox One has yet (they've been very quiet in regards to sales figures). I'd actually bet on Wii U outselling the XB1 this year in most major European markets (other than the UK)...and Japan obviously.

As far as a new bizarre strategy..I'd assume that's their QOL platform that's due next year.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I don't think a price drop would do much either. The Wii U has been on sale for ~£200 plenty of times during the last year. Besides, if it actually did succeed in shifting units, Nintendo would be in bigger financial trouble - they were already selling the system at a loss at the original RRP.
  • Eclipse_DjEclipse_Dj Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I don't know, I think the 'price point' will see more people buying in to the console and now is the time to do it with Mario 3D Land and MK8. It has certainly got my attention currently, but there is still confusion amongst people that Wii U is a handheld or a Wii add-on.

Personally I have little interest in the 'true' 'Next-gen' consoles (PS4 and XB ONE) Many games have received average to good reviews but I'm not seeing a system seller or anything groundbreaking as yet. I am quite interested in Sony's VR headset idea but I'd need to see more on it and how well it'll be supported before buying in to it as the next thing in gaming - though the possibilities it brings to gaming are very intriguing.

I guess bar the price point and advertising Nintendo need to focus on what they do best, another top Zelda game, a true Star Fox sequel etc. Fun local multiplayer experiences that current gen and nex gen seem to have forgotten about. Nintendo cannot compete online so they need to play to their strengths.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member

This is generally true and it's Nintendo's long term problem they must overturn, especially in the home console market. (I think the 3DS is geared more to the younger crowd, in Western markets.)

People say that the Playstation and the Xbox brand is full of 30-40 year olds, but the truth is that they are getting newer and younger audiences on quite a mass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Eclispe_Dj there is nothing at the moment that has pulled me towards a PS4 or Xbox One. The Wii U seems to be a refreshing alternative to my 360 Mario Kart 8 will obviously get a lot of play time in my house if I did eventually get a Wii U.