PS4 sells double Xbox One in the US in January

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Calibration isn't the issue, the issue is voice and gesture controls aren't for everyone.

I thought Kinect was absolutely horrendous! ... it just didn't work properly! :( ... voice commands because of my accent probably! :( ... & motion control because I simply didn't have the livingroom space to do it justice & rearranging the furniture was outta the question! :(

(+ its ugly as f*ck so my lass hated the sight of it sitting under the TV! :()
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Kinect has been unfairly made the whipping post for all Xbox woes. If Microsoft had done a much better job with their PR launching the console (ie avoiding all those stupid DRM arguments etc) then imo I think Kinect would’ve taken less of a kicking. When MS launched the console they’ve should’ve had the presence of mind to realise the people tuning in on launch day were overwhelmingly likely to be gamers first and foremost. To then focus the launch PR on the media aspects of the console was suicide imo, MS well and truly got that wrong. So instead of jaw dropping Halo gameplay snippets, we got endless spiel about the revolution in the front room and all gamers saw was the aggressive pushing of the integrated Kinect UI, the NSA really helped things too with accusations of hacking. Gamers are some of the most brand obsessed/fanbois going, it was never going to go well, especially with the PS fanbois looking to get their pound of flesh. Microsoft’s attitude effectively told the gaming world to get over themselves and this is how it’ll be. I’m glad they dropped some of their bizarre viewpoints prior to launch, the X1 I bought recently is very far from the one originally launched.

I don’t think the Kinect is that bad at all, I love the voice commands and I was a total sceptic beforehand. The hand gesture side of it I think is a little pointless when you can just use voice commands but I can see its use in specific games, it’s still probably too young in its infancy to be used seamlessly as a GUI.

I’m happy with my X1, I’m a consumer that made a choice and is happy with their purchase. It makes no odds to me if the ‘rival’ sells more, it takes nothing from my gaming experience.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I thought Kinect was absolutely horrendous! ... it just didn't work properly! :( ... voice commands because of my accent probably! :( ... & motion control because I simply didn't have the livingroom space to do it justice & rearranging the furniture was outta the question! :(

Well, I'm from Newcastle and my boyfriend is Dutch. We've had no issues at all with voice commands once it was calibrated correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe that's why you were having problems....

It's supposed to something like 1.5m off the floor with a clear view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Well, I'm from Newcastle and my boyfriend is Dutch. We've had no issues at all with voice commands once it was calibrated correctly.

But what's that gotta do with me? :confused: ... Mine was calibrated & I still had to constantly repeat myself! >:(

(So basically because it worked fine for you! (supposedly!) ... Everyone else is on the internet who's had / having problems is lying?) :confused:
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what's that gotta do with me? :confused: ... Mine was calibrated & I still had to constantly repeat myself! >:(

(So basically because it worked fine for you! (supposedly!) ... Everyone else is on the internet who's had / having problems is lying?) :confused:

bib: What would I have to gain from lying? :confused: You seem awfully defensive.

My point was that it works perfectly fine for people with strong accents. Maybe your diction is bad? ;)

I never said you were lying. Although, now you mention it you do change your opinion about the consoles pretty regularly. As I've said in the past, you have more personalities and conflicting opinions than Jekyll and Hyde.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find with Kinect voice commands you have to be quite firm and positive in tone for it to pick things up first time. Not necessarily loud, but just confident and articulate in what you're saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    bib: What would I have to gain from lying? :confused: You seem awfully defensive.

My point was that it works perfectly fine for people with strong accents. Maybe your diction is bad? ;)

I never said you were lying. Although, now you mention it you do change your opinion about the consoles every few days. As I've said in the past, you have more personalities and opinions than Jekyll and Hyde.

Not really! :confused: .... I've stated numerous times I sold it because of the problems I was having with kinect! ... I'm just glad I got my money back! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find with Kinect voice commands you have to be quite firm and positive in tone for it to pick things up first time. Not necessarily loud, but just confident and articulate in what you're saying.

Maybe the TV was 2 loud (in the background) & it wasn't hearing my voice properly who knows! :( ... But I got sick of constantly having 2 repeat myself 10x just do basic commands such as login etc etc) :cry:
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the main use of Kinect is voice commands which you can do with a cheap headset? Well that's definitely worth all the extra money for the console ;-)

I tend to wear a headset all the time with the PS4 but I just don't see the point in voice commands, I can do the tasks just as fast (possibly faster) using the controller.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have that same feeling I don't understand why MS didn't make kinect optional and lower the price of the system. It's proven by how well the PS4 is selling worldwide that the price point is important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Gormond! ... I found navigating the menus / inputting commands quicker with the joypad which kinda made kinect redundant! ... It just ended up being this gigantic plastic monstrosity sitting underneath my TV! :(

(The 50inch TV sits on a glass stand which is about 18 inches off the ground so it's not on the floor lol)

Naturally it'll work perfectly for some folk & I'm glad 4 em! ... Honestly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    So the main use of Kinect is voice commands which you can do with a cheap headset? Well that's definitely worth all the extra money for the console ;-)

I tend to wear a headset all the time with the PS4 but I just don't see the point in voice commands, I can do the tasks just as fast (possibly faster) using the controller.

You can use your headset.....

OR if like me you're laid on the sofa with the Mrs, I just bark out an instruction and it does what I want. No faffing around for a controller, no sitting there with a headset on.

When you know the voice shortcuts it's easily just as quick (if not quicker) for some tasks just by knowing what to say.

There's a multitude of options to get to the same destination, I don't see the problem with that.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OR if like me you're laid on the sofa with the Mrs, I just bark out an instruction and it does what I want.

if only my wife was so well trained...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claymore74 wrote: »
    if only my wife was so well trained...:D

Ketamine.....does wonders for all involved :p
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a multitude of options to get to the same destination, I don't see the problem with that.

Options are great which is why some people want the option to buy the Xbox 1 without Kinect.

When Kinects biggest selling point (Voice commands) is something which can be achieved on a cheap headset its hard to justify Kinect as a pack-in item.

I don't actually think MS should be too quick to drop Kinect but they do need to be very quick in at least showing off some software to justify it mandatory inclusion. With the right software I doubt anyone will care about the extra cost of Kinect, but if it remains worthless for a lot of people its hard to justify it as anything more than a peripheral.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    IMHO in would be a bad move to drop it.

First MS told us that Kinect was integral to the working of the console, and should you try to use it without, hell would freeze over, and we'd all be Satanss breakfast.

Then it was well actually you can use the console with it

Now it's well maybe it's a pile of crap, no one wants it so lets ditch it. Does this mean there's not that many games in development that use Kinect? I'd be bloody annoyed as a developer having MS tell me for the last few years "make sure the game your making can use Kinect, as everyone will have it" only now to find out that not only is it not required for the Xboxone, that MS may ditch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Options are great which is why some people want the option to buy the Xbox 1 without Kinect.

When Kinects biggest selling point (Voice commands) is something which can be achieved on a cheap headset its hard to justify Kinect as a pack-in item.

I don't actually think MS should be too quick to drop Kinect but they do need to be very quick in at least showing off some software to justify it mandatory inclusion. With the right software I doubt anyone will care about the extra cost of Kinect, but if it remains worthless for a lot of people its hard to justify it as anything more than a peripheral.

I can't say for certain what Kinect's biggest selling point is, it probably is voice control at the moment. On a personal level I use a feature of Kinect in racing games called 'head tracking' which orientates my view depending on where I'm leaning my head, I get nearly 180 degrees full vision available to me, all off the lean of a head. But clearly not everyone has a desire to play racing games online. At the moment MS are not doing enough to show
    Kinect off and it's understandable for people to have opinions like yourself, ultimately MS has to convince the consumer.

I get what you're saying re the headset, now personally I wouldn't want to worry about wearing the headset the whole time. I went through 6 headsets in 4 years from constant over use on the 360, overall there's not a huge price discrepancy there when compared to initial outlay. I don't think it costs MS £80 to produce Kinect, I think that figure has been jumped on when these rumours of Kinectless X1 surfaced, the concept of a general price drop for the X1 anyway seems to have been wilfully ignored in those assertions.

Kinect has a lot of potential, just seems nobody's done enough to unlock it yet. Who's fault that is? I don't know....
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment MS are not doing enough to show
    Kinect off and it's understandable for people to have opinions like yourself, ultimately MS has to convince the consumer.

I have defended MS for including Kinect as standard in the past and still would if MS would just showed off some really compelling reasons to own the device.
    I get what you're saying re the headset, now personally I wouldn't want to worry about wearing the headset the whole time. I went through 6 headsets in 4 years from constant over use on the 360, overall there's not a huge price discrepancy there when compared to initial outlay. I don't think it costs MS £80 to produce Kinect, I think that figure has been jumped on when these rumours of Kinectless X1 surfaced, the concept of a general price drop for the X1 anyway seems to have been wilfully ignored in those assertions.

The £80 is nothing more than the price difference between PS4 and Xbox 1, people view that difference to be down to Kinect. Whether it is and by how much is another matter, £80 is just an easy price to put on Kinect.

The headset thing is silly really because nobody wants to watch a movie while wearing a headset just to use the voice commands. But with voice been Kinects a big selling point of Kinect the fact it can be achieved without the Kinect unit and with just a cheap headset doesn't do much to justify to added cost of Kinect.
    Kinect has a lot of potential, just seems nobody's done enough to unlock it yet. Who's fault that is? I don't know....

Its Microsofts fault. Kinect is their dream, their vision, they should have had the software to back it up. Even if that is just tech demos at the moment but we see nothing on the horizon which is the problem Kinect is facing. As a third party I wouldn't want to back Kinect when (Publicly at least) MS don't seem to be developing much for it either. To me it appears MS are hoping someone else will come up with the killer app for Kinect because (Through the lack of demoed content) they appear clueless as to how to really make the device an essential part of the system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinect is pretty cool, but in all honesty I forget that it is there and use the controller for pretty much everything.

If it worked pefectly I'd use it more, it does work around 90% of the time but I feel enough of a **** talking to my Xbox in the first place, without having to repeat myself fairly frequently.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have announced today that they have now sold more than 5.3 million PS4s worldwide.

Just huge numbers. And people said console gaming was dead.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet more games that cant do 1080p on the Xbox One, both Thief and MGS 5 can be added to the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have announced today that they have now sold more than 5.3 million PS4s worldwide.

And now its 6 million http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-4-crosses-6-million-sales-following-strong-japan-launch/1100-6418086/
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect ms to sell a load of titan xbox1s.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yet more games that cant do 1080p on the Xbox One.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-thief-next-gen-face-off
    All in all, it's hard not to be disappointed on a technical level with Thief. It's often our refrain, but in this case we'd strongly urge opting for the PC release if it's an option. If you're committed to buying for one next-gen platform or another, the superior texture filtering on Xbox One means it carries itself slightly better in the visual stakes - but frame-pacing aside, for the most part all three versions match up very closely indeed.

And.....

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/03/killzone-shadow-fall-multiplayer-doesnt-run-at-1080p-natively

Strange that nobody noticed?;-)